Mainspring Winder Recommendations?

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a set of mainspring winders mainly for use on vintage watches / vintage omega movements.
Before I go and buy the standard Bergeon set I was wondering if anyone has recommendations of some other (possibly vintage?) sets to look out for?

I have seen there are some K&D sets that do multiple sizes, but if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear!

Thanks

I still tend to suggest people just go for the Bergeon, but i would also suggest if you are concerned about the initial large outlay, just buy the handle and then buy the sizes as you need them.

With bergeon if you later need a left hand wind you can just buy the handle and the relevant arbor, or if you need another size your initial handle will work just fine, plus you dont have to fear quality control. Theres also options for second hand stuff and its still compatible.

Thanks for that. I'm happy to go out and get the Bergeon but wanted to check if there were any fan favourites other than that out there.
Thanks for the tips!

Or, you can install new springs, and not worry about buying winders. I have winders, but rarely ever use them - the only time they typically come out is when I'm installing a spring with a special end, like a t-end (that isn't on Omegas). Otherwise, the springs install right into the barrels from their shipping rings.

Unless you are changing mainsprings regularly, I'd recommend winding them by hand. It doesn't take long.

I should add...it doesn't take long if you put it in the barrel correctly the first time. I know it's taken me 2 or 3 efforts to get it right at times. Make a note to yourself of how the old spring was situated and be sure the new one is the same. Again...learned the hard way....more than once.

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a set of mainspring winders mainly for use on vintage watches / vintage omega movements.
Before I go and buy the standard Bergeon set I was wondering if anyone has recommendations of some other (possibly vintage?) sets to look out for?

I have seen there are some K&D sets that do multiple sizes, but if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear!

Thanks

Just start off with a couple of Bergeon winders for the watches that you intend to work on not a set.

Unless you are changing mainsprings regularly, I'd recommend winding them by hand. It doesn't take long.

I should add...it doesn't take long if you put it in the barrel correctly the first time. I know it's taken me 2 or 3 efforts to get it right at times. Make a note to yourself of how the old spring was situated and be sure the new one is the same. Again...learned the hard way....more than once.

Just FYI...

It’s generally considered poor practice to hand wind mainsprings into barrels. There is a significant risk that the spring will end up out of flat, causing it to rub on the inside of the drum or cover. This can lead to lower power coming from the spring, and wear to the barrel.

Just FYI...

It’s generally considered poor practice to hand wind mainsprings into barrels. There is a significant risk that the spring will end up out of flat, causing it to rub on the inside of the drum or cover. This can lead to lower power coming from the spring, and wear to the barrel.

I'm afraid this is one poor practice I'll continue if I am not able to make a clean transfer into the barrel from the container. Living on the edge.

I wasn't referring to old springs....just the new ones that I don't get right the first time. Thanks for the info, Archer.
Edited:

The little plastic barrel closer is a godsend. And one of the cheaper Bergeon items.

I have a mixed set of winders from the DWC (Dead watchmaker corporation.) Never the size I want. I like the idea of getting the Bergeon handle and perhaps the sizes most used.

A few of the low end eBay watches had coned springs.

I have a clock spring winder. Best to wear heavy leather gloves, and a full face shield. Kevlar body armor would not be amiss either.

Is there a reference doc that outlines what size/direction winder works for common movements. I'm specifically interested in 861 at the moment.

Is there a reference doc that outlines what size/direction winder works for common movements. I'm specifically interested in 861 at the moment.

Not that I am aware of. To determine the direction you just look at how the spring is wound in the barrel. To determine the size, you measure the ID of the barrel drum and pick the size that works.

Or you avoid it completely and just install a new spring directly...

I've always been told to change the MS where possible for a new one. Can be problematic at times trying to identify the right spring as it must also have the right(ish) sized inner coil so that the arbor will fit through it but still grab the hook.
By the way, for MS winders, if you do buy any used ones - check the condition of the hook on the winding portion. I have a couple of old ones I bought from ebay where the hook has virtually disappeared which makes them absolutely useless as they don't grip the hole enough to wind the MS fully into the winding barrel.
There is a Chinese set for much less money too of course. I've not got one of them but have heard different stories about the quality of them, someone mentioned that the hooks on one they bought were brass rather than steel, meaning they won't last all that long. Probably ok if you are an occasional user only buy YMMV.

Not that I am aware of. To determine the direction you just look at how the spring is wound in the barrel. To determine the size, you measure the ID of the barrel drum and pick the size that works.

Or you avoid it completely and just install a new spring directly...
That's what i ended up doing, and it was a pretty smooth and easy install, I was just figuring that I should at least have a winder on hand in case one of the springs ever decides to jump out when I'm looking at it.

Thanks for the tip on ID! Looks to be a left hand wind, at 10.8mm

I've always been told to change the MS where possible for a new one. Can be problematic at times trying to identify the right spring as it must also have the right(ish) sized inner coil so that the arbor will fit through it but still grab the hook.
By the way, for MS winders, if you do buy any used ones - check the condition of the hook on the winding portion. I have a couple of old ones I bought from ebay where the hook has virtually disappeared which makes them absolutely useless as they don't grip the hole enough to wind the MS fully into the winding barrel.
There is a Chinese set for much less money too of course. I've not got one of them but have heard different stories about the quality of them, someone mentioned that the hooks on one they bought were brass rather than steel, meaning they won't last all that long. Probably ok if you are an occasional user only buy YMMV.
Yah, instead of buying a full set of Bergeon, I think I'll start out just buying the ones that I need. Prob close in price to the aliExpress sets, but I'm a sucker for nice tools.