Forums Latest Members

Lost/Stolen Omegas and Confiscation Questions

1. Son of Light Sep 2, 2016

So I have read a great deal of conflicting information on whether or not Omega confiscates watches with serial numbers reported as lost or stolen when sent in for service? Do they actually log those SN's if an insurance company or individual calls to report them?

From what I understand they have never maintained a database like Rolex. I'm curious because I'm looking at a PO locally the provenance of which I cannot verify. I'll likely be passing on it but I'd like to know Omega's stance on this.

Cheers!

2. w.finkenstaedt Sep 2, 2016

From what I know, Omega will only refuse to work on a fake/franken (franken they will offer to put back to original condition at cost). No idea if they maintain a stolen watch database, but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2016

Call or email Omega and ask them...

R3D9 and blubarb like this.
  4. Son of Light Sep 2, 2016

I did (called the NYC boutique). I was told they would "look into it" and get back to me. This was several days ago and I have heard nothing, hence my posting here.

The gentleman I spoke with said he had been with Omega for 3 years and had never heard of such a thing.

5. alam Sep 2, 2016

6. Son of Light Sep 2, 2016

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2016

I meant contact Omega, the company, directly, not a boutique.

8. Son of Light Sep 2, 2016

Alam's posted link above seems to show that Omega does not take steps to "recover" such pieces if sent in for service, and it was a recent communication so it appears that current policy is no centralized registry.

9. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 2, 2016

Makes sense since they (omega in Switzerland) have no way of knowing it was stolen...

10. Son of Light Sep 2, 2016

I have read insurance companies will report stolen or lost serial numbers to manufacturers, but this appears to not be consistent nor does omega appear to act on it.

11. WatchVaultNYC Sep 2, 2016

I imagine any database that tracks stolen watches will have to be backed by police reports. Anything less will not be able to hold up. That plus all the complications from different countries, will probably make it impossible for Omega themselves to maintain a central database of assuredly stolen pieces.

Finally, I doubt if Omega will want to get in the middle of possible lawsuits between buyers and sellers. If I were running Omega, I would not want to be the legal arbiter of anything that could have been sold and resold multiple times - I'd steer clear of this and refer everyone to the local cops.

Edited Sep 2, 2016
  12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 3, 2016

... And even that is questionable...

CONSTRUCTED CASE:

I get hands on a pic of your omega watch with the serial visible.
    I am an evil person and go to my local police, claiming my omega was stolen but luckily I have a pic with the serial.
    Police do their thing (and also inform omega).

Unbeknownst of that, you send your omega a month later to Switzerland to get it serviced.

Omega seizes your watch because - hey - it is reported stolen.

That is why omega seizing watches is not really possible... IMHO

Cheers Al

13. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 3, 2016

So you don't care if it may be stolen as long as you won't get caught? ::confused2::

gttime and Jonatan like this.
  14. Son of Light Sep 3, 2016

I have no reason to believe it's stolen. Lack of knowledge of its past is what led me to ask the question. There is nothing to "catch" me for as id be buying it in a private sale fair and square.

15. Jonatan Sep 3, 2016

You're just looking for a good deal? No need to know the provenance?

If you think it's stolen you shouldn't buy it.

Karma is a bitch and it will catch up.

Longbow and gttime like this.
  16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 3, 2016

I find this instructive when this sort of discussion pops up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemo_dat_quod_non_habet

With regard to third parties including Omega impounding property which they have good grounds to believe is stolen or otherwise illegal (whatever constitutes these grounds or reasonable belief is open to question), I believe they have no obligation beyond informing the appropriate civil/criminal authorities in whatever jurisdiction they are based and passing the goods to them to deal with.

Omega are not a branch of law enforcement, but do have to conform to whatever laws are in force where they do business.

17. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 11, 2016

Not sure how the Boston AD would handle that ...;)

ulackfocus likes this.
  18. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 11, 2016

Not sure about the Franken part... my Speedmaster was a 3459 (57 Replica) and it hasn't worn those hands and bezel in over a decade, and Omega serviced it no problem.

Tom

19. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2016

20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 11, 2016

Well, dang! Had not even realized who started this thread. I'm guessing the next chapter in this story will reveal the watch the diver found has a different serial number, and the DNA of a missing union boss...

ulackfocus likes this.