Looking to Buy a Vintage Omega

Hi,

New to vintage watches altogehter. What are some of the basic things I should be looking for when looking to buy a vintage Omega?

I've been looking at square/rectangular shapes and not sure some of the ones I've seen on sale are even authentic.

If there is a specific watch you are considering, post plenty of photos and the asking price, and you're bound to get good feedback. BTW, a quick introduction and an avatar go a long way towards creating good will in the community.

Like 1
so looks like I cannot contact anyone selling till I hit 200 posts, is that correct?

so looks like I cannot contact anyone selling till I hit 200 posts, is that correct?

Incorrect.
You can totally send a private message to a seller in order to buy a watch.
But you’re not allowed to offer anything for sale on the forum.

Like 4
Welcome to OF. You can contact sellers using the message function. But you can't post to the forum.

Like 1
Not sure I follow.
I'm not positive but I think the point is that Etsy is not a wise place to be looking for vintage watches. Please take some time to read the threads you've been pointed to and you'll see why. The watch you've looked at there is misdescribed as it is not a 1952 vintage watch. If you don't want to get burned, you'll need to read and explore. This forum has a wealth of information and members are genrous with their advice, but are impatient with those who want a quick score.

I'm not positive but I think the point is that Etsy is not a wise place to be looking for vintage watches. Please take some time to read the threads you've been pointed to and you'll see why. The watch you've looked at there is misdescribed as it is not a 1952 vintage watch. If you don't want to get burned, you'll need to read and explore. This forum has a wealth of information and members are genrous with their advice, but are impatient with those who want a quick score.

I can understand that. I've read quite a few educational posts in here since I joined. I only shared the link because I was responding to a comment regarding posting pics of a watch I'm interested in. Thought the link would be much easier than separately posting the same pics that are on the Etsy listing.

Post the photos here. Saves us from following the link and creates a permanent thread that others can see for years.
More work for you, but you are the one getting the free advice.

Post the photos here. Saves us from following the link and creates a permanent thread that others can see for years.
More work for you, but you are the one getting the free advice.

Plus I do not click "blind links".....ever

Like 1
That watch is from 1977 and has quite a lot of dial damage and a dirty looking movement that will need servicing. Not worth what they are asking.

Like 2
You don't need to post all pics just a straight on focused dial shot, movement shot and inside caseback. Bonus for the lugs and caseback.

That watch is from 1977 and has quite a lot of dial damage and a dirty looking movement that will need servicing. Not worth what they are asking.

Thank you for the feedback. What do you mean by "dirty looking movement"?