Looking to Buy a Vintage Omega

When a seller says: "fully serviced" and you see debris inside the case and on the movement, you know there is something going on.

upload_2023-9-7_21-1-7.png

Like 3
When a seller says: "fully serviced" and you see debris inside the case and on the movement, you know there is something going on.

upload_2023-9-7_21-1-7.png

Yeah now that I took a closer look I can see some debris.

Like 1
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Saw the above watch in an Ebay listing.

Wjat are your thoughts? What do you like about this model/ref?
Have you compared this example to others of the same reference?
Do you have any concerns?

Like 1
The gasket is in bad condition, so you can infer that it has not been serviced for a long time.

Wjat are your thoughts? What do you like about this model/ref?
Have you compared this example to others of the same reference?
Do you have any concerns?

Wasn't sure if it's fake or not. It's a seller on Ebay from Japan. He's got mostly positive reviews, and the bad reviews mentioned had nothing about the watches not being authentic. Most bad reviews had to do with the transaction.

I'm trying to get away from the traditional oval/circular dial shape so I like that this watch has somewhat of a different dial shape. I also like the color. I'm looking for gold/rose gold with a brown leather strap.

Beyond that, I don't know much about the Constellation model and how it compares to other Omega models.

Any input is appreciated.

The gasket is in bad condition, so you can infer that it has not been serviced for a long time.

Interesting observation. The listing says fully serviced. Do you think this is something that be easily addressed at a local watch dealer/ repair store?

You should take your time and do research, you can also look at the thread WRuw (what are you wearing) for inspiration.

Seller with bad reviews for the transaction should be avoided at all costs, they’re the ones who lie about watches, cause them to break in transport etc
You’ll end up finding a nice watch you like if you do your homework and if you’re patient.

Like 1
Interesting observation. The listing says fully serviced. Do you think this is something that be easily addressed at a local watch dealer/ repair store?
A competent watchmaker would always install new caseback gasket with a service. The watch would be completely disassembled, cleaned and lubed. They may or may not change the crown gasket/crown. I would assume that no proper service was done so add another $300 to the cost of the watch.
When I zoom on the movement I see dirt everywhere. It has not been cleaned in a cleaning machine. Many dealers just BS the description. Maybe they gave the outside a wipe down, blew out some dust and regulated the timing and called it done.
Wait for a good watch to come up on the sales forum here.
Edited:

Like 1
Beyond that, I don't know much about the Constellation model and how it compares to other Omega models.

If you post a new thread for each watch you'll get more views and hopefully more opinions.

You probably saw in the listing the reference is 168.0056. These are the later C-case models that were produced from about 1972-1978 with the less desirable 10xx series caliber as compared to the earlier caliber 564 and 751. Still a good watch. Check out this thread for lots of C-case info. https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-c-cased-constellation-thread.72308/

My Cliff notes on references and calibers are here. https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-c-cased-constellation-thread.72308/page-58#post-2128430

You can also check out some of the videos from one of our members giving tons of info about C-cases. He doesn't collect 168.0056/57s as far as I know though.

The big thing I see wrong with the watch you posted is the lack of an applied Omega logo above the 6 o'clock text. Also, the dashes next to Swiss Made don't appear on other examples I looked at really quick. Perusing the listings on Chrono24 I don't see any other example without an applied Omega logo. I'm not sure if the one you posted checks out as an original dial but C-cases are known for strange discrepancies.

There is another rose gold colored dial that does have the applied logo.
https://www.chrono24.com/omega/--omega-1680056----cal1011----d124967--id30227480.htm

My advice would be to figure out which reference you want and start hunting from there.

Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 7.47.05 PM.png

I also like the color. I'm looking for gold/rose gold with a brown strap

Don't restrict yourself on the strap colour. Straps are plentiful and relative inexpensive. You can buy new ones and swap them weekly. The buckle does matter as authentic omega ones are expensive and can be hard to find. You can always swap the buckle onto a new strap.

Like 2