Forums Latest Members
  1. Tonydg Oct 2, 2018

Hi,

It has been a while since I have been here, but since last time I have been collecting a few Omega f300s and a couple of f720s (Megasonics). I am also almost 1 year into my Watchmaking course through the Master Clock and Watch Makers of Western Australia (shameless plug for the school - http://wcawa.org.au/Training.html).
    I have had a couple of f300s serviced by Paul at Electric Watches (http://electric-watches.co.uk/ - thanks Paul for your excellent work) and have some more to practice on when my skill level increases. Luckily there is a fair bit of service information available for them, on other's websites, or the official repair manual (currently only in French and they never taught those words in my high school French classes ...).
    However, there is a dearth of information around about servicing the Megasonics. There are a number of warnings about ruining the magnetic gears due to mishandling and poor tool selection, so before I even investigate mine I am hoping that someone can help me with a good service manual or book.

Parts are also in extremely short supply, so I am going to have to experiment. The watch below hums but the motor does not rotate so I am guessing that it suffers from the loss of lubrication that others have talked about. I would be very interested to hear about any re-oiling techniques that people have tried and found successful.

I have attached some photos of my Megasonic watch (the other is just the movement, no case, but it actually works and the hands go around - at least for the couple of minutes that I let it run for).

Blue f720 Long range front view - med.jpg Blue f720 Med range rear view - med.jpg Blue f720 Back - med.jpg

Thanks,
    Tony

2. JackDaniels83 Oct 2, 2018

There is no way to reoil the motor. If you need a new fork, just send a message.

Tonydg likes this.
  3. michael e Still learning. Oct 2, 2018

I have got quite a few technical guides for vintage electronic Omegas, one which covers the 1220, if you need any photos of the pages let me know.
    I even have the testing machines too but just love looking at them most of the time ::screwloose::

5DB992FA-1ABA-40AC-90E8-E30851B76A5C.jpeg 896943E8-C1C5-4C4E-9B08-EC49BE9D0A61.jpeg 4BA282AA-4BC3-44B2-A427-2F7FC0AF2EB8.jpeg 155AE8EA-B149-4A6B-BCA4-EEA3D37AC3D2.jpeg
    MarcT, Tonydg, Tet and 2 others like this.
  4. Tonydg Oct 3, 2018

Hi Michael,
    Very nice test gear. I have heard of the Alitest and the Deltatest but have not seen them. Yours are in very good condition. I also have a thing for Nixie tubes. They have character and warmth, often missing from the LCD adorned current run of test equipment. And I can see no percentage in streaming videos to my Spectrum Analyser.

Thanks,
    Tony

Edited Oct 3, 2018
  5. michael e Still learning. Oct 3, 2018

I will PM you some photos across later today Tony.

Even my Mrs thought these machines were cool and she is rarely impressed by anything, unless she said that because she is after something of course.
    Cheers, Michael

Tonydg likes this.