Forums Latest Members
  1. Tonydg Feb 2, 2019

Hi,

It has been a while since I posted anything, and since then I have got an Omega Megasonic and had it expertly repaired by JackDaniels83 (many thanks to him for the time and effort he put into the repairs) ...
    Blue face Omega f720 Front View.jpg

One item he replaced with the tuning fork with the micromotor, so now I have a spare to play with.
    S20190115_0001.jpg

I am now trying to find out information about the oil used to fill these.
    Is there anyone out there who knows the oil type and/or properties?

Looking on the back of the micromotor housing, there are a couple of indents which I wonder if they were the fill hole (and air bleed hole) when the finished assembly was lubricated....
    S20190115_0004.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on these?

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Uscjake87 Feb 2, 2019

I am interested in this topic. I have heard from many folks, including JackDaniels about the perils of gummed up oil in these micromoters. I have a parts megasonic that is rather beat up, but a fresh dial, hands, and service could revive it. The big issue is always the micromoter. I remember reading on electric watches UK site that even NOS micromoters have dried up oil.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 2, 2019

Would you expect otherwise? 45 year old parts you would expect the oil to have dried up.

4. Uscjake87 Feb 2, 2019

@Foo2rama, it isn't like other watches that a watchmaker can simply re-oil. I've been told these micromoter cases cannot be re-oiled which is what the OP is wanting to discuss.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 2, 2019

For the record a watch for sale with an opposite issue is for sale on this forum...

6. Tonydg Feb 2, 2019

I had not heard of it as gumming up, just losing oil. Gumming up also makes sense.
    If the 2 holes are real, then I guess there is no problem drilling them out and flushing a solvent through to clear it out, then refilling it with the proper type and amount of lubricant ...
    This means I would also need to find out about the cement used to glue the various items in place inside so they are not dissolved or weakened by the solvent as well.

7. Tonydg Feb 2, 2019

Hmm ... I had a look and could not find an f720 for sale ... can you point it out?

Thanks.

8. Uscjake87 Feb 2, 2019

@JackDaniels83, could you fill in your knowledge regarding the micromotor oil issue?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 2, 2019

Doh wrong thread. I was wondering where that post went!!!

10. JackDaniels83 Feb 3, 2019

Hi Tony, nice to hear from you and see your watch.

My own experiences are:

The oil is very thin, the motor case is sealed by some sort of glue. If it's not 100% sealed the synthetic oil evaporates over a period of decades. I think the bores that are supposed to be for fill up are the small one top right and bottom left, because in that areas there are often small air bubbles left. I would use Moebius 9010 if I wanted to try a refill, but at the moment there are a lot of new forks and motors available. As long as this is the case, it does not make sense to try to refill.

I have approx. 200 new motors that I'm able to glue to used or new forks. I check them using a microscope, to see if the oil is still in there. After that I will run the fork on a known working test movement for some days.

jacky1314, Tonydg and Uscjake87 like this.
  11. Tonydg Feb 4, 2019

Hi Daniel,
    Good to hear you are still around. I am still enjoying my watch and wear it a few times a week.

I had assumed that there were only a few motors left. It is good to hear that you have around 200 of them .. it then does not make sense trying to recover old ones except for fun. I was going to be cautious about testing my ideas with the one motor I have as I thought that it would be a waste to destroy it by testing if there were so few. Since there are a few spares, I will try out some ideas on this one, though it may take some time ..

Tony.

12. JackDaniels83 Feb 4, 2019

That's just fine, go for it. And don't forget to post your result here.

13. barryclancy19 Sep 20, 2019

Hi, I have a collection of 10 megasonics, two of which have micrometer issues. I would be interested in future-proofing them so would like to acquire 10 micrometers. Would that be possible.?

14. barryclancy19 Sep 20, 2019

15. barryclancy19 Sep 20, 2019

Hi Daniel,
    I have a collection of 10 megasonics and would like to future proof them. Would it be possible to acquire 10 micrometers or preferably micomotors and forks combined?
    Regards
    Barry

16. JackDaniels83 Sep 21, 2019

Motors are not the problem, but I need a working movement to glue the motors onto forks, to be sure, that they are working.

17. barryclancy19 Sep 25, 2019

Thanks, I see what you mean. How do I send you a fork or a movement if I need to and how best to tell if it's the micromotor that is the problem?

18. JackDaniels83 Sep 25, 2019

You can't be sure, because of the magnetic gears in the train. They can not be checked.

19. JackDaniels83 Sep 25, 2019

Just send me a PN and I will let you know the address.