Forums Latest Members

Looking for my first Speedmaster 145.022

1. Michaelg123 Jun 26, 2016

Hi guys,

First of all, I have to say this is a great place and it looks like I'll be spending plenty of time here!

I'm looking for my first speedmaster 145.022, I've always wanted a speedy pro and it's gonna be my first decent watch.
    Pored over countless of websites and glad to see there's such an astounding amount of info out there.
    Really excited but want to dial back my emotions and make a quality purchase.

I'm looking for a collectible watch that will retain or increase in value. Is this what I should be looking for?

145.022-69 in great condition
    DON bezel or 220 bezel
    Clean caseback, "First watch worn on the moon" text. What's the difference in value between this and the Apollo XI 1969 text, or even the seamonster caseback?
    1039 bracelet or 1171, 1116, 1175

What is the expected price of such a watch? Most of the online tables estimate €3-4000, but a search on Chrono24 reveals much higher prices: http://www.chrono24.com/en/search/i...true&sortorder=1&watchTypes=U&yearBought=1969

Are most of these sellers overcharging? Tables outdated? Is there something else I'm missing? Any other good advice for a beginner?

Best,

MichaelG (from Europe)

2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jun 26, 2016

3. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jun 26, 2016

4. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 29, 2016

As I've said on another forum today, beware of buying a sub-£10,000 watch with the idea that it's going to be a good monetary investment. At this sort of budget level I can't see how you can expect to acquire something with certain potential to maintain, let alone increase, value. As is frequently said here, wisely, you should buy what you like for aesthetic and emotive reasons of your own. That way you tend to get sustained pleasure from your purchase which would be undermined by any fretting about whether or not it's depreciating faster than expected!
    Another good source of information is https://monochrome-watches.com/category/omega/

5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 29, 2016

My advise would be the contrary... I'd rather buy 3 or 4 watches@ $3k than have $12k tied up in 1 watch (eggs and basket) .

Also there is the element of liquidity... I could stem a $3k watch but not buying a 10k one...

I assume I am not alone - the air gets thin fast once you ask 5 digits for a watch... ;)

6. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 30, 2016

A little misunderstanding indicated here: I certainly wasn't advising that Michael should be looking for a £10K watch. I'm advocating buying what you like, whatever your budget, without being hung up on whether or not it will appreciate in value. If I was spending £10K today I would rather acquire 2 or 3 interesting, varied watches than one expensive one which you'd be frightened of wearing in case it would be damaged.

Spacefruit and Foo2rama like this.
  7. brunrox Jun 30, 2016

8. rcs914 Jun 30, 2016

"a little" pricy? Yes, the condition is really nice, but not sure that it warrants a 3x increase in value over a very good example.

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 30, 2016

Seeing that my entire collection is based on sub $10k watches, and all of the ones that I have purchased in the last year, save one, have a current market value of 30% to 300% more than what I paid, I would say that if buy correctly you can bank on the watch being a sound monetary investment.

Now, I am in a different boat than the OP, and it is very good advice to buy what you like and what makes you happy when you are first starting out. Do your research, and buy from a trusted seller, and work as strong a deal as you can. The reason I say this is because once you buy your first watch, you will want another one, and another one...it is a very slippery slope!

If you pay through the ass for your first watch, then chances are, when you go to sell it to fund another purchase, you will be very disappointed to lose money...and if you lose a lot, then it may dissuade you from buying others.

Spend the time up front to get into a good watch at a strong price, and you will start your watch journey on a sound footing.

You are here, so use the FS forums and make your life a lot easier.

10. novina Jun 30, 2016