Forums Latest Members

Looking for help and advice on a Omega Seamaster Grand Luxe

1. DeanK Apr 27, 2015

First off I spent the past few hours looking for any information on this watch. I didn't have much luck...
    A lot of my bad luck has to do with the fact that I have absolutely zero knowledge about watches.
    This is my fathers watch and I want to surprise him and fully restore it back to its original condition, rather than take it in for maintenance. Also, I do know that the band on this watch is 100% after market. According to my dad he bought a new one, as the previous original one just wore out. Also I am from Canada....

I would love to restore this watch back to original as possible and also see if I can find an original band that came with the watch back then. He wore it everyday he worked...so it looks like it's taken a pretty good beating!! He'll probably only wear it once or twice a year so I'm thinking I'd like to keep it all original rather than swap parts.... I'd rather let Omega do all then restoration/repairs rather the local Jewlery/watch repair store locally. Any ideas on what it would cost to restore/clean and get it looking as brand new as possible with keeping it as original as possible? What would a watch like this be worth before and after?

He thinks it's probably a mid-high 1960's or early 1970's watch. Any ideas?

Please any ideas on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Also any information about this watch or pics would be fantastic!!! Is restoring it worth it? It has great monumental value to me and I would love to do this for him and surprise him!!!

It does say "waterproof" and Seamaster on the back of the watch as well

Please if there is even anyone I can call or contact via phone or email I'd appreciate it

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    TNTwatch and RLC like this.
  2. DeanK Apr 27, 2015

Last pic.....

image.jpg
  3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Apr 27, 2015

should be a calibre 501 with the model number 2646 (If I recall). These Seamaster GLs were a US idea and marketed in the later Fifties as US production pieces. Dial should be 18k and case is rolled gold. Hands on this example are wrong as is the sweep. Theoretically the hands should be faceted Dauphine hands. Watch has seen extensive wrist time and case is very 'rounded'. Crown, well, has seen much better days and doesn't appear to be original to the watch.

Deepending on the condition of the movement, an independent watchmaker in the Canada may charge around 200 plus for a clean and oil and then extra for any parts.

Very hard to establish worth as few of these models surface. But, of course, it's of inestimable value as an heirloom piece, and properly serviced will probably just keep on syncopating until its your turn to wear it.

Perhaps other Canadian members can chime in with their recommendations as to whom you should send the watch to for service/repair.

Cheers

Desmond

jordn and TNTwatch like this.
  4. marturx Apr 27, 2015

See this thread, and you can see a bit down, how your watch should look like.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/seamaster-118-391-2848-2846-sc-anyone-familiar.5710/

If it was my watch, I would rescue the dial, and buy a "new" ref 2848 with a good case and movement, as a donor. I should thereafter put together one good watch from the best parts from the 2 watches.

The case on yours is pretty much worn out, and beyond rescue IMO. This model is pretty common though, so to find a good donor is not hard.

The dial on yours is very rare, and in good shape, so clearly worth preserving.

5. RLC Apr 27, 2015

"Very hard to establish worth as few of these models surface. But, of course, it's of inestimable value as an heirloom piece, and properly serviced will probably just keep on syncopating until its your turn to wear it."
    ^
    X2

Just what I would do......An experienced watchmaker could service & clean, you will be amazed how much better the watch will look.
    I would do that first, it can always be 'restored' when you are the custodian. They are only original once.
    Every cosmetic 'defect' tells a story, a fact that could be very important to your Father.

Good Luck

Bob

6. DeanK Apr 27, 2015

You guys fantastic..... Than you so much for the advice!!!!

I talked to my dad again and he said the glass was replaced due to the fact he cracked it while working. So where would I begin to find a case and crown and glass? I prefer only looking to use original parts, as I want to keep the watch with original parts from that era. If I sent it in to Omega for a restoration would they find me the pieces I am looking for? Would that be my best bet? I don't want to send the watch to someone and have them take apart my dads watch and fill it with non omega original pieces? I think I'd rather start restoring this watch sooner rather than later than just clean it. I don't mind taking it for a good cleaning just to see good the inside of the watch is as well......
    Is there anywhere online where I can find any more information such as year of the watch, where I can find an original strap in excellent condition that was originally on that watch or even someone I could call and talk to or email who is very reputable that can help.

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 27, 2015

What part of Canada are you in, Al Archer is a local if you live in southern Ontario.

He's been known to do a watch or two.

8. DeanK Apr 27, 2015

I'm in Edmonton Alberta Canada.....

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 27, 2015

An Omega restoration will be very expensive, likely north of C$1,000. Omega will use the best available parts, which may not be the same as original. It will have a 2 year warranty from Omega, just like a new watch.

Any watchmaker with experience should be able to source the crown, crystal and hands from a supplier. The case will be more difficult. For that, you might need to find a non-runner or a raw Ref. 2846 gold-capped case on eBay. This was a very common Seamaster reference, although the ones with the "Grand Luxe" dials like yours are relatively rare.

Since you are in Canada and don't have to deal with Customs hassles, Al Archer would probably be your best bet if he is able to take on the project. He is very much in demand these days.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

10. DeanK Apr 27, 2015

Any ideas on how to reach him?

11. DeanK Apr 27, 2015

Any ideas how much the case, crown, crystal and the hands would cost roughly and where I can start looking for them? Where can I get the serial numbers or whatever numbers I would need to start looking for some of these parts/pieces for the watch?

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 27, 2015

Send him a PM under "Archer" through this forum.

The case reference number should be inside the caseback. However, as previously mentioned above the case should be Ref. 2648. I would choose the watchmaker first and let them tell you how to proceed. Who knows, they may have a case lying around.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

13. DeanK Apr 28, 2015

So after a few hours online I found this.....
    1956 It is 2846 calibre 500 (17 jewels) or calibre 501 (19 jewels)

14. DeanK May 1, 2015

So just a few more questions.....
    Now that I kinda sorta know what I'm looking for, I think what I've decided is that I prefer to find the late 50's era parts for the watch. Or am I totally wrong in thinking that? I would prefer to find a late 50's buckle for the strap and am searching for NOS authentic black Omega strap in leather or lizard/gator or whatever they used back then.

Any pros or cons in searching for old stock instead of getting original parts from omega?

For example the crown.... I'm thinking I would prefer a vintage crown for that era. But would I have to get the pin (is that what's it called) as well? One of my goals is to have the watch waterproof and would getting an original crown from back then make it less likely to be waterproof?

Would just getting the correct parts from Omega be the same thing as trying to find vintage parts from that era.... In terms of value or it really won't make a difference?

Sorry about all the questions. Some advice from the valued members is very much appreciated!!!

15. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog May 1, 2015

In terms of parts, I'm assuming you mean external parts like the buckle. Fifties/Sixties buckles do come up from time to time but you need to wade through the fakes that are produced in China.

Black leather alligator would look nice and coupled with an old buckle would look even better.

Being a US model its hard to say what the original crown was, but clover leaf (still available) would be as near to the period as you could get. Best opt for new stock as old stock crowns may be perished at the seal. I would think again about waterproofing. Vintage watches usually show some wear at the crown pipe and so hermetic seal with a new crown may not produce the results you're wanting. A new case back gasket would help, but, again, any pitting or minor corrosion may compromise the seal. So, even with new crown, crystal, and case back seal I think the best you could expect would be some protection from wrist perspiration.

Dauphine hands and a gold sweep, as seen in the examples in this post, may be the way to go.

I think you need to get cosy with a competent independent watchmaker so he can help you with your project.

Cheers

Desmond

RLC likes this.
  16. RLC May 2, 2015

^
    What he said.

Bob

17. DeanK May 5, 2015

First and foremost, I can't thank the members enough here for your advice and help!!!! I can't stress enough how new I am to this hobby and everything you guys have mentioned in this thread has been extremely helpful......
    All I wanted to do when I 1st joined this forum was to find help in restoring my dads watch. Now, I find myself reading thread after thread and enjoying everyone's amazing stories and their beautiful watches..... Truly fantastic!!!

I've soaked in all the info you guys have given me and have already sealed a watchmaker who will service and source most of the parts I'll need to get my dads watch working properly......thank you

What I am looking for is....
    - a reference 2846/48 14k gold cap over stainless in excellent condition
    - a stainless steel case back like the one above in excellent condition
    I have already found....
    - a vintage omega buckle from that era (a member here found me one) and a strap which I will just order when I choose one that will go with my dads watch

Now that I have a little bit of understanding of the hobby I can probably source these myself (unless someone finds them readily available.....please let me know)

NOW the hard part for me is that my dads watch is missing a marker (where the 4 would be) and I don't have a clue as to where I can begin to search for one. I know this is going to be super hard to find and for a newbie like me it's practically MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!!!! This is where I can use some help from any of you (who may have some free time to search or see one in your daily routines). I have searched and will continue to look online (eBay) daily, but I definitely don't know enough about markers and dials to find the correct one. If I have to buy the whole dial or find a watch that is being sold as parts I will do it. PLEASE...... if anyone finds me the marker I am looking for I would be ecstatic!!!! I can even offer some sort of reward for helping me out.......

Thanks guys for all the help and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.......

Edited May 6, 2015
  18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 5, 2015

Dean and I have corresponded privately on this and I have advised that he's really going to need another Seamaster Grand Luxe in the same case to be sure that the marker will fit.

For those who don't remember the original watch:

[​IMG]

I also mentioned that due to the fact this this dial is scarce, finding a replacement will be very difficult.

If one knows a good goldsmith who can create a mold from one of the other markers then cast a replacement, that might be the best option here.

Thanks,
    gatorcpa