Forums Latest Members

Looking for advice on how to keep vintage seiko loom retain its white look.

1. Walrus Mar 13, 2023

I picked up a couple vaders as I just like the look. One has a great dial but the case took some knocks. The other both the case and dial looked pristine. My watchmaker was in Switzerland doing a training or certification so I used someone else. Nice guy and the watch runs fine but I’m noticing the loom plots are slowly darkening.

I’d just like to know how a watch maker would remedy this. I’m guessing it’s a gasket but I’m no watch maker. Since it’s serviced and running ok I’d like to see if it’s possible just to make the disk “air tight”. If I need to buy something myself and bring it in that’s fine. And if need be I would pay for a service again or am I being unreasonable and this is something I just have to live with. I’ll put two pictures up unfortunately artificial light of the beat up one which maintains the whiteness and the second will be the nicer case. Any knowledge or suggestions would be appreciated. I’m keeping it my watchbox with those suck up moisture packs but I’m guessing things will progress poorly when our 100% humidity comes to pass. I can move this to seiko thread if this is the wrong spot. Thanks again. And please tell me if I’m overreacting
    image.jpg image.jpg
    The bottom one was just as white as the top when I bought it

Duracuir1 likes this.
  2. Pip Mar 15, 2023

Darkening is normally due to moisture ingress you are right, so new gaskets all round, properly installed after the surfaces are inspected would be a great start, followed by a low level pressure test to see if they are doing a basic job. I don't know of anyone reversing the darkening but there are some good relumers out there who can bring it back to whatever level of brightness tickles your fancy.
    Nice Vaders by the way. I have a Stormtrooper waiting for me to get round to sorting it. It has many issues so it keeps getting bumped down the waiting list to make way for more promising projects.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  3. Walrus Mar 15, 2023

Thanks, that’s what gets me though this started “after” the service so what the hec? Could the gaskets not have been installed properly? With a car or machinery I can check a repair (generally) but with a watch I am at the mercy of the watchmaker. I can’t check the work.

PS thanks I’d like to get a storm trooper eventually, well like yesterday

Edited Mar 15, 2023
  4. Pip Mar 15, 2023

No way of knowing really, but if you go to the right places (and request it and possibly pay extra) they will give you a pressure test which would show the gaskets were ok at the time of the test at least. The other thing is did they replace all the gaskets? Caseback plus crown plus pushers? Crystal too maybe if they disassembled the case, although I rarely replace those unless I have to, they can be hard to get hold of for vintage and tend to be ok.

Walrus likes this.