Forums Latest Members

Looking for a new strap my my Hamilton KHAKI

1. j.allen Dec 21, 2021

I have a thick, black leather strap as well as this green canvas strap. I am usually pretty good at picking out straps (for vintage watches), but this one is kind of difficult. The dial is green and I am colorblind and poor at matching colors. I prefer leather, but am open to canvas as well. I prefer something appropriate for a field watch, but wouldn't mind something a little dressier. I'd like to spend $20, but will spend up to $50.

A lot of the straps for this watch are VERY stiff and uncomfortable. My 2 Hamilton straps- one leather and one canvas are completely unwearable for me because they are so uncomfortable. Here are a couple ideas of mine, but I am open to what has worked for other people. The first one is my watch.

The last one is the Hirsch Osirus- it is VERY comfortable. I'm looking at blue, green, or brown. I'm worried that it will look funny with the taper as most of the straps for this watch are not tapered.

thumbnail.jpg grey strap.jpg Flucco syuede.jpg Ecco Brown.jpg Hadley Roma canvas.jpg Hadley Roma black canvas.jpg Osirus.jpg
  2. SkunkPrince Dec 21, 2021

I ihave this watch as well, and I recommend the following strap:

https://smile.amazon.com/MARATHON-Ballistic-Military-Stainless-Non-magnetic/dp/B00BBYGARG/ref=sr_1_6

It is the actual USGI strap that looks a lott like what came with the Hamilton watches in the 60s.

The color you want is the sage green (very dark, though) in 20mm, and you can get 11" or 12" length. They are reasonably comfortable new, but here's a trick that will make it very soft: wash it! You can do it in the sink or in the clothes washer (probably easier). I think the nylon thread is coated before it's woven into fabric, and when you wash this away, the strap is a lot nicer to wear.

Alternately, this is the strap Hamilton sells for this watch, which came with mine. It is lined with a nice, soft sueded leather, and you mighti like that.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-us/h6006841021-green-strap-20mm.html

You'll note that it is tapered and it looks fine.

I have my watch on the bracelet, which is of course another deal entirely!

3. Walrus Dec 21, 2021

Check out Archer strap company. I have recently ordered a few straps they are quality and very soft I just can’t attest to how long they hold up but I was very impressed with the quality for the price. Some of the offerings are US made as well.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 21, 2021

Crown and Buckle have some really nice collections. I'm a big fan of their Chevron woven straps. Their other stuff is really well done too.

5. Syzygy Dec 21, 2021

From a looks perspective, I'm partial to the fourth strap you posted, but the suggestions made above are also very good. I find the canvas a bit stiff as well, which is probably why I don't wear mine in the rotation that often.

6. j.allen Dec 21, 2021

I have that same strap- the original. I like the look of it, but it is sooo stiff, I just can't wear it. Whether it is canvas or leather it definitely needs to be flexible.

7. j.allen Dec 21, 2021

How does would the blue Hirsch look- does it match? That strap is soo comfortable.

Edited Dec 21, 2021
  8. SkunkPrince Dec 21, 2021

The blue Hirsch with the green dial is perhaps not the most ideal, but out of the sun that dial look black anyways. Maybe get a black one?

9. SkunkPrince Dec 21, 2021

Interesting. The one I have is quite flexible. Have you tried any techniques to soften yours? I like to bend and flex them until they fit better, myself.

10. j.allen Dec 21, 2021

I have not, but anything done to soften it would work only to a minor degree. So I also have a small wrist, so they pinch very hard on the sides of the wrist and then make a gap on the top and bottom. I have the original leather strap that came with the 38mm Khaki Quartz and it does the same thing.

11. Walrus Dec 21, 2021

I had a canvas strap on a very inexpensive seiko I picked up on a flash sale at Amazon. I seem to have issues with some (not all) seiko stock straps. (New midrange offerings) that canvas one actually wasn’t too bad but I forgot to take it off when I was power washing my house and got that band wet gee what a major effect it had it list it’s shape and became stiff in spots granted it was my error but I really didn’t even get it that wet. Lesson learned.

12. j.allen Dec 23, 2021

Look what I found. This is exactly what I was looking for- Ideas.

That first green one is the one I have that came with the watch. Very stiff. I put it on sometimes because I like the look of it, but it's uncomfortable. The cheapy green canvas strap I'm wearing in the one photo is very comfortable.

Hamilton-Khaki-Field-Watch-Strap-Versatility.jpg
  13. cristianotom Jan 4, 2022