Forums Latest Members

Looking for a good independent Rolex watchmaker in the US

1. impalla62ss Nov 3, 2021

My Rolex 1500 with a Ref. 1570 movement has stopped running. I heard a click when I was winding it. It has had a recent service. My watchmaker is ill and is unable to work on the watch. Can anybody recommend a good independent watchmaker in the US that can repair the watch. I am in no hurry and am willing to wait if it will take a while. I appreciate any recommendations you can offer.

shang.jpg mov.JPG

2. ckhaing Nov 3, 2021

3. Wlcutter Nov 3, 2021

The best watchmaker I know of is Donovan Paradise, in northeast Indiana; he runs Christianson Jewelers and hasn't batted an eye at *any* watch (cal 11/12 Heuers, a parade of V72s, lots of Rolex, more Omegas than I can count) I've brought to him. The absolute best.

4. SkunkPrince Nov 3, 2021

5. Donn Chambers Nov 3, 2021

Where in the US are you located? I’d be shocked if there isn’t an independent who can’t service it nearby. In my neck of the woods (Tampa Bay) I can think of at least 5 within an hour of me.

6. Dan S Nov 3, 2021

Well, it depends if you need someone with a parts account. After the recent purge, apparently there are only about 50 independents with Rolex parts accounts remaining in the US. And as you can imagine, most of them aren't really looking for new clients.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2021

https://www.treiberandstraub.com/services/watch-repair … Sailing buddy had good results. I recall the recco came from OF. The shop I frequent, MJ Watch Service, work on them, do a fine job, but I think they lost their parts account in the purge. (They have a strong parts network though).

8. JwRosenthal Nov 3, 2021

Yup, many watchmakers have their networks despite not having a parts account, you just need to ask if they “can get” Rolex parts. If my watchmaker can’t get a part (not just for Rolex but vintage stuff), he lets me know and I can hunt it down which I have done many times.
    Rolex movements aren’t particularly hard to service- parts are the issue.

Larry S likes this.
  9. Dan S Nov 3, 2021

Many watchmakers are increasingly using aftermarket Rolex parts for certain common items (e.g. case tubes), since they can't get parts from the manufacturer and the used stock has dried up. I think that many of these parts are perfectly fine and I'm not saying you need to be concerned about this, but just as an FYI.

10. SkunkPrince Nov 3, 2021

Remember Trieber is a Rolex dealer, and i believe that watch must be sent back to Rolex for service, the dealer can't do it... one of the reasons for an independent.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2021

As I recall. They serviced an old watch for a friend there. Did not send it out. He had it back in four weeks.

Here is the recco from my query from @Buck2466. I passed this to my buddy. He was very pleased.

“Treiber and Straud in Milwaukee is an AD with in house watchmakers that have a great reputation. Plus they are about as close to Chicago as you can get.
    https://treiberandstraub.com/services/watch-repair/

Edited Nov 3, 2021
  12. impalla62ss Nov 3, 2021

Thanks all, I am in Fairbanks, Alaska. My local watchmaker has recently left the business due to health issues. There is an AD in Anchorage (350 miles away), but I would not want the watch to go to Switzerland.

Treiber and Straud in Milwaukee said due to the age of the watch it would have to go to Switzerland. The watchmaker said that if the dial is in good shape they would not replace it upon request. I'll send a PM to @CMOG and see how that plays out.

13. CoDiffe Nov 3, 2021

I can second this - Noah Riley at Treiber has serviced a couple of my watches and does incredible work. The only problem is he no longer does 4 digit Rolex models. Only 5 digit and up. If 4 digit I would recommend Drew Zimmerman.

Larry S likes this.
  14. morningtundra Nov 4, 2021

15. impalla62ss Nov 4, 2021

Thanks all for the good information and recommendations.

16. JwRosenthal Nov 4, 2021

I know there has been some momentum including an executive order here in the US (which never carries much weight as it’s not a law) for the right to repair movement. It’s aimed at industrial (John Deer) and tech (Apple & Samsung) at the moment, but hoping it will catch steam across all sectors and states will start creating law (push your elected officials on this issue- it affects all of us).

I wonder if the US mandated a company like Rolex make all tooling and parts available to all 3rd party independent watchmakers- would they just pull out of the US market all together? I could see them doing something like that just to thumb their nose at anyone telling them what to do.

17. SkunkPrince Nov 4, 2021

I heard from @GMOG. He doesn't do Rolex anymore. Hell on wheels with other vintage, though!

18. IDXM Nov 5, 2021

I can vouch for Mike Hui at Rolliworks. He did great job on my Rolex GMT.

morningtundra likes this.
  19. morningtundra Nov 5, 2021

Also, Tanner is better known among the vintage Omega crowd but he's worked on my vintage RLX's and UG Chronos. Super personable guy with a very interesting story.

IDXM likes this.
  20. brazenc5 Nov 21, 2021

I second Rolliworks

IDXM likes this.