Looking for a 1985 Speedmaster

I should start my saying I know nothing about watches, other than randomly looking over to what my fiancé watches on youtube. I'm looking to purchase a wedding gift and had thought about a Speedmaster from the year he was born (1985).

Is this something a watch fanatic would like or are new watches better? I've seen only a few online roughly 5-6K but do not come with any papers - is this sketchy? Scared of being duped on what is a large purchase for me. Seems like the newer ones are less expensive?

Open to other watch suggestions as well. He currently has a rolex (sorry I don't know which) and an IWC big pilot. He buys and sells a lot of watches so his past collections have included: Omega Seamaster, IWC mojave, Rolex pepsi, Rolex GMT, Rolex deep sea, rolex submariner, VC overseas, Breitling super ocean

Don't buy your guy a watch. Buy him a gold chain or something.

From what you have mentioned he is someone who would be hard to buy a watch for.

Hi! Welcome here...

Your story sounds quite a bit like my own, with the exception that I was looking for my own birth year Speedmaster... I really think it is a very cool idea and would make for an exceptionally good gift. That said, I do hope you've got some time to source a nice piece. It has taken me a couple of years (!) to find a 1984 piece and it proved to be quite difficult, even more so as the 80s weren't exactly the glory days of manual Swiss watches so whilst a Speedmaster is not overly rare, there are comparatively few 80s pieces around.

Some words of advice:
- Year of production: with Speedmasters, there is no such thing as a production year engraved into the watch, ultimately, only a serial number validated by the Omega Archives or original papers can confirm an exact production year. Curently the archives are closed, so that route might be a little challenging. There are some helpful tools, though, like https://www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com/productiondateprediction/birthdate/ which gives an indication of serial numbers that would match a specific year, like 1985.
- Never trust a seller simply stating 'approximately 1985' or something along these lines. Many people still use old serial / production year reference tables that would mark late 80s and early 90s pieces as '84 to '86.
- Regarding Box and Papers: yes, they do have a value, but I would always prefer a nicer watch (condition) without B+P over a lesser example coming with B+P. Boxes can be sourced separately and relatively cheaply, it is the papers that could matter. Depending on budget, I'd say.

So, you might be embarking on an interesting challenge to find that very special timepiece to gift to your fiance. It could be well worth it and I am sure people here will be willing to help you out if you have found something and would find yourself unsure about getting it, or not.

Good luck!

Hi! Welcome here...

Your story sounds quite a bit like my own, with the exception that I was looking for my own birth year Speedmaster... I really think it is a very cool idea and would make for an exceptionally good gift. That said, I do hope you've got some time to source a nice piece. It has taken me a couple of years (!) to find a 1984 piece and it proved to be quite difficult, even more so as the 80s weren't exactly the glory days of manual Swiss watches so whilst a Speedmaster is not overly rare, there are comparatively few 80s pieces around.

Some words of advice:
- Year of production: with Speedmasters, there is no such thing as a production year engraved into the watch, ultimately, only a serial number validated by the Omega Archives or original papers can confirm an exact production year. Curently the archives are closed, so that route might be a little challenging. There are some helpful tools, though, like https://www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com/productiondateprediction/birthdate/ which gives an indication of serial numbers that would match a specific year, like 1985.
- Never trust a seller simply stating 'approximately 1985' or something along these lines. Many people still use old serial / production year reference tables that would mark late 80s and early 90s pieces as '84 to '86.
- Regarding Box and Papers: yes, they do have a value, but I would always prefer a nicer watch (condition) without B+P over a lesser example coming with B+P. Boxes can be sourced separately and relatively cheaply, it is the papers that could matter. Depending on budget, I'd say.

So, you might be embarking on an interesting challenge to find that very special timepiece to gift to your fiance. It could be well worth it and I am sure people here will be willing to help you out if you have found something and would find yourself unsure about getting it, or not.

Good luck!

This was such a thoughtful response, thank you so much for taking the time to write this out for me I really appreciate it!

I should start my saying I know nothing about watches, other than randomly looking over to what my fiancé watches on youtube. I'm looking to purchase a wedding gift and had thought about a Speedmaster from the year he was born (1985).

Is this something a watch fanatic would like or are new watches better? I've seen only a few online roughly 5-6K but do not come with any papers - is this sketchy? Scared of being duped on what is a large purchase for me. Seems like the newer ones are less expensive?

Open to other watch suggestions as well. He currently has a rolex (sorry I don't know which) and an IWC big pilot. He buys and sells a lot of watches so his past collections have included: Omega Seamaster, IWC mojave, Rolex pepsi, Rolex GMT, Rolex deep sea, rolex submariner, VC overseas, Breitling super ocean

If he likes Speedmasters a Birthyear is a great thing for some people. Bobswatches.com can assist you in finding a great birthyear Rolex datejust for similar money.

Not knowing what you are doing and buying used watches often times ends poorly as you do not know what to look for.

Your question about papers and boxes for example... most watches where worn and are tool watches so box and papers are rare. For perfect condition never to be worn peices the box and papers can add value, but for them to be missing on a 30 year old watch is expected.