Forums Latest Members
  1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 28, 2022

A most amazing & interesting topic !
    Don't forget the Longines-Wittnauer -Weems flown in space by NASA astronaut Neil Armstrong during Gemini VIII mission in March 1966!
    (Photo: NASA)
    NASA_Longines-Weems3.jpg
    March 16, 1966, astronauts Neil Armstrong and David Scott were the crew of Gemini VIII, the 12th American manned spaceflight mission. Pictured on their way to the launchpad, David Scott wore a NASA-issued #08 Omega Speedmaster 105.003 at his left wrist while Armstrong had chosen to wear an extra wristwatch besides his NASA Omega Speedmaster chronograph.
    Note at Armstrong’s right forearm the big crown Longines-Wittnauer Weems aviator wrist watch with striking big numbers dial as worn by James “Jimmie” Mattern (1905-1988), Armstrong’s childhood aviation hero.
    Three years later during Apollo 11, Neil Armstrong also carried a flight logbook owned by James Mattern onboard lunar lander "Eagle" !
    #MoonwatchUniverse :thumbsup:

Edited Dec 29, 2022
    Seiji and Waltesefalcon like this.
  2. w154 Dec 28, 2022

Are you sure that’s a full size weems ? The case size seems way too small when using the speedy as a reference. Also the case seems to have a slight tonneau shape.

Seiji and SpeedyPhill like this.
  3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 28, 2022

@w154
    Interesting remark, let me check out some more photographs of the Gemini VIII mission
    Cut out of the Weems at best resolution
    :coffee:
    NASA_Longines-Weems1.jpg NASA_Longines-Weems3.jpg NASA_Longines-Weems5.jpg

4. w154 Dec 28, 2022

Scaling as best as I can from the photos, I’d estimate the case of the Longines is around 33mm. I’ve assumed the velcro strap is the same as the one they used on the speedies, as I can’t imagine they’d make a new strap even if the lug width was different. I think he’d have just forced it through. So could it be something like this ?
    0840EE0A-8F79-4CBE-9B09-7EAF2109DD14.jpeg

The “problem” is I can’t see any evidence of those vertical minute/second markers on the outside edge of the bezel in your pics… maybe a proper Weems expert can have a better stab at guessing.

5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 28, 2022

Rechecked my files:
    The large crown aviator watch of James Mattern, space-flown on the righthand wrist of Neil Armstrong during the Gemini VIII mission, is in the custody of "The Frontiers of Flight Museum" located in Dallas, Texas - USA.
    Edit: video added... although the watch in this video was not the watch worn on Gemini VIII

Edited Dec 28, 2022
    Omegafanman likes this.
  6. Waltesefalcon Dec 28, 2022

@Seiji as always I am in awe of your Weems collection!

SpeedyPhill and Seiji like this.
  7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 29, 2022

O.K. I have replaced the image by the original with an outcrop of the actual Weems on Armstrong's forearm.
    The case looks like the watch described in the video, with a centre circled dial as in the big crown versions :thumbsdown:
    Unfortunately no better Gemini VIII photos but I'm still searching for splash-down-recovery onboard USS Mason images
    NASA_Longines-Weems3.jpg .
    1966_Longines-Weems.jpg

Mark020, Omegafanman and Seiji like this.
  8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 30, 2022

Indeed, certainly looks like big numerals on the Armstrong Gemini VIII worn Weems aviator watch !
    And those lugs also look correct ! :thumbsup:

9. Omegafanman Jan 11, 2023

I missed this thread over the hectic Xmas period.
    Really good info and beautiful watches as well.
    If is funny how often I google something and end up linking back to an old OF thread. A real mine of information created here over the years for everyone to enjoy and learn from.

SpeedyPhill and Seiji like this.
  10. asloper6001 Jan 21, 2023

Wow those are cool. How has the bezel crown been over the years? Pretty reliable to a degree or some hits and miss here and there minus natural aging problems (amateur in vintage per say). Just wondering since Mr. Weems created it if any major flaws from a design standpoint?

Omegafanman likes this.
  11. asloper6001 Jan 21, 2023

Interesting! Thanks for your knowledge.