Forums Latest Members
  1. henrylr Apr 17, 2020

Hi all,

I'm looking for a user manual for my Longines VHP L237.2 with the ETA 255.563 movement. I did find an ETA manual for this movement but it seems written for a watch repair person. I'm looking for a user manual that explains what the three crown position do and how to correctly set time and date. The watch is like new, working perfectly and I don't want to damage it.

Thanks,
    henrylr

s-l1600.jpg

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 17, 2020

Send a email to Longines with a picture of the watch.

Longines is one of the easiest companies to deal with for such.

https://www.longines.com/en-au/customer-service

But you can just give each a go, you are not going to ruin a watch by pulling out the crown and turning it. That’s what it’s for. (Just don’t force anything)

3. Canuck Apr 17, 2020

I’ll take a guess at this. Position 1, the IN, is the RUN position. Out to position 2 is the date set position. Out to position 3 is the HACK and TIME SET position. In this position, the hack stops the seconds hand while you set the minutes and hours. Remember, there is an AM and a PM, so set it right so your date doesn’t change at noon!

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 17, 2020

As above. I normally advance forward untill the date advances to make sure I’m in the right 12 hour period.

note setting the date/day is generally a bad idea on many watches if your within 2 hours of midnight as on some movements you can damage the day/date changeover.

5. henrylr Apr 18, 2020

Thanks for the reply. How is AM or PM determined and set?

6. Canuck Apr 18, 2020

You’re kidding, right? With the crown in the HAND SETTING mode, advance the hands until the calendar changes. That is MIDNIGHT. As the hands are advanced over the next 12 hours, that is AM. When you get to the 12:00 again, that is NOON! THE CALENDAR DOESN’T CHANGE AT NOON! Now as the hands are advanced, the time represented is PM! BEFORE NOON, AM. AFTER NOON, PM. When the calendar changes should be your clue!

7. henrylr Apr 18, 2020

Thanks for the reply. Since I got the watch the date has been changing at 12 PM. So yesterday, based on posts I've read, it needs to set for AM. I pulled out the crown to the 2nd position and wound hour hand around to equal 12 hours. The date increased by one day and I thought it was properly set. However, today it changed at 12 PM again. What am I doing wrong.

Another thought I had is, after the date change is completed, I could pull the crown out to the 3rd position to stop the watch and push it back in after 12 hours had passed. Is there any downside doing that?

8. Canuck Apr 18, 2020

I think you are telling me that your calendar changes at NOON, and at MIDNIGHT! You now have all the information you need to sort it out yourself!

9. henrylr Apr 18, 2020

Why would I be kidding. I asked a straight forward question. I had rotated the hour hand until the date changed thinking it was now set to AM, but today the date changed at 12 PM.

10. henrylr Apr 18, 2020

It does not change at AM only PM.

11. Canuck Apr 18, 2020

So! Is it morning or afternoon where you are right now? Set the hands ahead until the calendar changes. That is MIDNIGHT! If the time right now where you are is afternoon, set the hands ahead PAST 12:00, then to the correct time. Then, set your calendar to the correct DATE, without moving the hands. Is this really a tough concept?

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. henrylr Apr 18, 2020

Your responses have been informative but your obnoxious attitude is clear.

13. Canuck Apr 18, 2020

What did you not like? The ones-twosy explanations? Ask a question as to how to tell whether your watch is set to AM or PM, and don’t wonder at any responses you might get.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. henrylr Apr 18, 2020

Your responses with !!!, so many CAPS, and your remarks "Is this really a tough concept?" "You’re kidding, right?" are offensive and imply your are calling me stupid or that you consider yourself a genius.

15. henrylr Apr 18, 2020

I would expect simple answers without all the sarcasm. The only watch I ever owned is an Accutron I bought new in 1966. I just got this Longines VHP two days ago.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 18, 2020

Ok take a deep breath. It’s impossible for a watch to change the date 2x a day. Read back my instructions near the top and try again then report back.

17. Canuck Apr 18, 2020

How much more polite, succinct, and exacting could a reply be than the first reply I made to your request for a manual for the Longines? Did you even read it? Had you read it, this whole most unfortunate thread would not have happened.

Foo2rama likes this.