Forums Latest Members
  1. Roger F Aug 13, 2020

This automatic 7771 was constructed in Longes French agents facility after the movement was delivered to them back in 1961 (info provided by Longines)
    I guess this must have been a common practice back then but I have two questions to you the experts
    Does this account for the fact that this original dial is missing the Conquest brand and does it detract from values?

Your feedback is appreciated

Thanks

Edited Aug 13, 2020
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 13, 2020

Deliberately posting in the wrong forum is not going to make you any friends.

3. Roger F Aug 13, 2020

Sorry all
    IT user issue!
    i.e. Me!

apologies

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 13, 2020

I don’t follow those 1950s models closely but I don’t see a Conquest so why do you think this should be one?

I hope you haven’t bought this watch, but if it was sold to you as a Conquest, you should return it saying it isn’t a Conquest because a Conquest should have the name « Conquest » on the dial.

I see a no name automatic Longines with a very damaged case back which has a big gouge in it, and which someone over polished to death in an attempt to remove scratches.

This isn’t a particularly desirable model. Also the case engravings say it’s made in Switzerland by Longines so if the movement is supposed to have been cased in a French made case (possibly a gold one) then the watch is a franken.
    That would explain what looks to be an unsigned, incorrect replacement crown.

In short, run away - or try to return on the grounds of fraud.

Edited Aug 13, 2020
    Dan S, Benbradstock and noelekal like this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 14, 2020

A bit surprised the OP has not responded despite having viewed this thread.... ?

@Roger F sorry if my assessment may have been disappointing and may have come across as harsh but if you’re not prepared to hear a factual answer to your questions: don’t ask.
    This is not our job, we don’t get paid to provide you free advice — the least you could do is to acknowledge those who take the time to reply.

noelekal likes this.
  6. Roger F Aug 15, 2020

7. Roger F Aug 15, 2020

I appreciate your advice but am waiting some more feedback from the vendor before I can bring you fully up to speed with the end result
    Be it good or bad
    Cheers

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 15, 2020

Quite unfortunate it sounds like you did buy before checking here. Any reputable seller will give a refund. If they refuse you should name them on this thread.
    For the future, it is recommended you do research in depth, ie for weeks, before you make a purchase.
    You might want to read @ConElPueblo’s remarkable sticky thread «Learn how to fish ».
    Best of luck

Edited Aug 15, 2020
  9. Roger F Aug 15, 2020

Will do
    Thanks

10. Roger F Aug 17, 2020

Hi
    Still Investigating and have spoken with Longines in Switzerland who told me that thousands of watches were completed in their French agents facility over the years and these would be finished to the same design including carrying the Swiss made wording.
    See the extract from their follow up email below-

‘For your information, Longines used to deliver Longines movements (with sometimes dials and hands) to the Société Française Longines (S.F.L) which was producing locally the other parts of the watch strictly following the Longines technical plans (under license from Longines). ‘

It’s a strange one isn’t it?
    Like Nisan making cars in the UK and saying Japanese made.

So another horological oddity

Anyway still on with my detective work

cheers

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 17, 2020

The case of your watch says « Fab. Suisse » which means «Swiss made ». That means the case was made in Switzerland, not in France.

Edited Aug 17, 2020
  12. Dan S Aug 17, 2020

Not strange, or unusual. Many well-known Swiss brands shipped movements with dial and handsets to be cased in various countries, including France the UK, and the US. Very common for Omega as well. The watch wasn't "made" in France, but it was cased there, which is a final step of assembly. Yes, the dial doesn't indicate anything different, however, usually the name of the local case-maker is indicated inside the case-back, which is not present here. So (again as noted above) that could be cause for concern if the archives indicate that this movement was cased in France. To generalize greatly, they are usually not quite as desirable as an equivalent all-Swiss watch, but it's a bit hard to compare.

Syrte likes this.
  13. Roger F Aug 17, 2020

14. Roger F Aug 17, 2020

Thank you for your feedback
    It’s really appreciated