Forums Latest Members

Longines Grand Prize NOS?? Find from Local Junk Hoarder

1. MPWATCH Watch Lover May 27, 2020

I was surfing my local Facebook Market place when I stumbled upon boxes of watch straps, batteries, and watches. I messaged the seller and asked if she had any specific brand names. *Enter new old stock Longines Grand Prize*

BW_92_4.jpg BW_92_5.jpg
    Als 27, Jensonslog, Andsan and 25 others like this.
  2. jud May 27, 2020

Lucky dog!

3. Dan S May 27, 2020

For once I can read NOS without rolling my eyes. :thumbsup:

4. snarkq May 27, 2020

Nice find! Did the seller have any more details to share?

5. JwRosenthal May 27, 2020

Holy crap! So that’s what those cases are suppose to look like! I’m so used them looking like melted butter.
    Please take many detailed pics of this watch and post them for posterity as a reference of what a Longines of this era should look like.

Jensonslog, MPWATCH and Benbradstock like this.
  6. Dan S May 27, 2020

Just look in the sales forum. ;)

7. JwRosenthal May 27, 2020

So I just did, and went back a year, and nothing showed this level of sharpens, all had been hit by a wheel at some point in their life (which is to be expected for a 60 year old watch that had been for a service at some point) or had some level of dial patina. Rarely do we get to see one that truly has a 100% unblemished factory finish. When I see on like this, I always hope for photo documentation to be archived just as a reference...it’s the historian in me.

Edit- or are you implying I should be looking towards the sale page...soon.

Edit-edit- oh goddamn it, my brain is mush (1am and insomniac), yeah, just found it. :rolleyes:

Edited May 27, 2020
    Benbradstock likes this.
  8. WYO_Watch May 28, 2020

In your defense, when most people brag about an awesome watch find on the cheap - it hasn’t already been listed for sale for a few days ;)

Edited May 28, 2020
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 28, 2020

Eve and MPWATCH like this.
  10. ERBM May 28, 2020

That dial is incredible, and the case ain't half bad ;)

11. JwRosenthal May 28, 2020

That’s what got me, why brag about a watch you got for next to nothing after it’s been listed for almost $2k on the same forum??::screwloose:: No offense to the OP, but it’s just kind of....strange.

12. ERBM May 28, 2020

All publicity is good publicity, I guess :unsure:

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. MPWATCH Watch Lover May 28, 2020

If that is how this community feels I'll take the sales post down right now.

Thanks for the positive comments! First time I found something "in the wild" in a very long time.

Disappointing I can't share the excitement of finding a nice watch without it being tainted by money.

My apologies to anyone who thinks I'm out to "brag". I hardly sell on OF as it is.

Edited May 28, 2020
  14. MPWATCH Watch Lover May 28, 2020

I've had a hell of a time finding other similar layouts. I see what you mean but I also don't have a date and don't have the same swiss signature. I just see the condition throughout the entire watch screams it has remained untouched.

It would be awesome if I could take a look at an old catalog for the Grand Prize model line.

Thank you very much for sharing - I appreciate it

15. JwRosenthal May 28, 2020

It’s a stunner- no doubt. And I don’t think anyone would begrudge you selling anything, regardless of what you paid. Many of us have bought low and sold high, it’s what we all wish for. My comment is solely on the timing of a reveal thread after the sales posting is already up, not that there is anything sinister or self promoting going on- just that usually people show off their great find with excitement- then post for sale after they decide not to keep it. I didn’t even get Dan’s tongue in cheek comment because I hadn’t looked at the watches for sale listings.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 28, 2020

No, I think you should leave it up. It just seems different that other similar watches I have seen. That doesn't make it incorrect or a frankenwatch, just different.

The printing on both dials are also slightly different. That is common and I think they are both original dials. Once you get to the mid 1960's, Longines dial finishes began to become synthetic lacquer, which make for a more durable finish. So dials from this period are generally in better condition than other watches only a few years older.

I have some concerns about the "Stainless Steel" engraving being rather shallow. That would indicate some sort of polish and re-creation of the original finish. This is done all the time in restoration work, but if it were, I would not call such a watch New Old Stock ("NOS").

I think the point of this examination on my part and others, is that true NOS watches are extremely difficult to find "in the wild" as you say. The hang tag looks correct for this model, but have you had a watchmaker verify that the serial number and case reference match the tag? I just have questions as to whether it is truly a NOS watch, or just a nice specimen that has been expertly restored, but is not NOS.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

MPWATCH likes this.
  17. Dan S May 28, 2020

Good eye on the STAINLESS STEEL engraving. When I look closely, I can see that the depth of the engraving is uneven, due either to wear or refinishing. I guess it was all turned on a lathe. The tops of the "INL" are erased. And I suppose the backs of the lugs originally may have had flat facets at the ends.

18. JohnLy May 29, 2020

Good point on the lettering but what caught me eye was the machining marks seem to be strong and consistent. I would have thought that if it was polished, especially hard enough to remove the lettering, than the machining marks would have also dis-appeared.
    I cannot explain the loss of lettering but it doesn't appear to me the case has been polished. Perhaps just a bad strike by the case manufacturer?

19. Dan S May 29, 2020

Why don't you think that the back was turned on a lathe as part of the restoration, as I mentioned. If the case was refinished (and I am saying "if"), it was obviously a very professional job.

20. JohnLy May 29, 2020

I "assumed" that if it was turned on a lathe that more than just 3-4 letters would have been impacted. Keywords, "assumed" and my "opinion".