Forums Latest Members

Longines Conquest Automatic Vintage

1. ssilviyas Apr 24, 2021

Hello guys,

Great to meet you all. I am a newbie to the forum, so I am reaching out to you for some advice. I thought I will be asking about an omega, however, in the end, I end up asking about your opinion about a Longines Conquest Automatic watch.

I am considering buying this watch for my husband, but I have concerns about the display and the markings. Do you think such a condition is possible for Longines, with the stain on the time marks? Should I be concerned? Watches like that that I already checked to have these dials were quite perfectly made, maybe they were restored. I believe these marking were actually originally painted by Longines for these particular watches, however, I am not really certain of it. Have you seen something like this - such effect, is it possible to be a genuine defect of an old watch?

I really like this particular design of Longines Conquest and I wanted just to go ahead and buy it but wanted to hear your opinion. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Silviya

longines.jpg longines 2.jpg longines 3.jpg longines 4.jpg

2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 24, 2021

Hello Silviya,

welcome to the forum, it’s very nice of you to be planning such such a present for your husband.

You have good taste and good instinct because there are many things to like about this watch,
    In particular the original non restored dial.

However the metallic circle around the dial, which we call « bezel », appears to have lost a gold layer, although the pictures lack clarity.

Without getting technical you should not buy this at this stage.

Also collectors would probably find the enamel is a bit too damaged on the medallion at the back.

Buying a vintage watch requires patience and study.

It’s doable but have you looked into Longines’s beautiful modern reeditions of this watch?

They would be much more convenient to wear on a daily basis.
    Vintage watches are fragile, they are less resistant to shock, not water proof or water-resistant.

It would help us to know if your husband already owns and likes watches, and what type. And also we’d need to know your budget in order to advise.

If you browse the Sales Forum here, that will give you a sense of of budgets and options.

Best regards

PS if you haven’t seen this thread, it lays out very nicely what collectors look for in a vintage watch.
    You may not need the same, but then you should not get overcharged for a watch which is not « collector grade ».
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Edited Apr 24, 2021
    Rudi99, ssilviyas and Tony C. like this.
  3. ssilviyas Apr 24, 2021

Hello Syrte,

Many thanks for your timely feedback and the provided detailed information.
    It's really great to hear your opinion since that's what I thought of this watch as well but considering my lack of experience I just need more professional feedback - so I'm grateful for your input.

I am basically looking into a watch since January and I really would like a watch with history, a vintage watch. My husband is an engineer and he is appreciative of new technology, however, is really keen on old classics. Currently, he has the more modern type of watches - the last one was a Tissot (2016) and this will be his first vintage watch to start with.

So I will be open to suggestions and definitely check the Sales Forum for other options as well.

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend,
    Silviya

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 24, 2021

If you’re looking for an automatic Conquest in good condition, have you seen this one on the sales forum?
    If your budget allows, I would highly recommend it as it’s a high quality watch from a known member, the enamel medallion is very nice, and quite importantly it’s already been serviced.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/pri...ack-dial-scalloped-crown.127942/#post-1770083

Getting the watch serviced adds another layer of complicatiok for a novice buyer, yet it’s essential in order to wear the watch regularly. You will find dealer watches that are supposedly serviced, but there’s a question how much you can trust the service that’s been performed.
    The thread below will teach you a few things:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/is-this-right-decision-for-husbands-60th-1961-seamaster.128486/

Edited Apr 24, 2021
    ssilviyas and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Apr 24, 2021

Welcome to the forum, Silviya.

As @Syrte has already communicated, the Conquest you have found is a lovely reference (9002) but not the best example. The gold-capped bezel is missing, and the original crown has been replaced. Below is a nice example for comparison.

I also agree with @Syrte that the reference 9022 Conquest that is for sale on this forum is a nice example at a fair price.

upload_2021-4-24_9-35-50.png
    https://watchcharts.com/listing/342...-1957-ref-9002-automatic-gold-capped-serviced

iamvr and Spruce like this.
  6. Dan S Apr 24, 2021

Re-lumed also IMO.

Tony C. likes this.
  7. ssilviyas Apr 24, 2021

Hi Syrte,

thanks a lot. Both watches are quite nice, but the first one - really loved the design. I will definitely consider it! Thanks again

8. ssilviyas Apr 24, 2021

Hello DirtyDozen12,

Many thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

It's all noted, I will definitely consider the other options and also just look in Sales Forum, in case I can't get to a decision. I still have few months to consider different options.

Once again, thanks a lot!

Best,
    Silviya

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  9. ssilviyas Apr 24, 2021

Thanks, Dan S. Good to know.