Longines as Luxury Brand

Well, Apple (in a survey they sent me) thinks so:

Screen-kh7dEyAo@2x.png

Rolex and PP I totally get, but interesting to see Longines instead of, say, Omega.

(And, for those interested, I also wear my Longines and Omega watches. The Apple Watch Ultra is just for workouts.)

I'm on board with classic Longines as a luxury brand. Longines history, so many of its vintage in-house movements' designs, its styling, and its once proud place in the pecking order of haute horology all combine to earn my respect.

I'm always cheering for Longines as a brand. Now, Rolex? Not so much.

I'm on board with classic Longines as a luxury brand. Longines history, so many of its vintage in-house movements' designs, its styling, and its once proud place in the pecking order of haute horology all combine to earn my respect.

I'm always cheering for Longines as a brand. Now, Rolex? Not so much.
I would agree on both counts. Longines, yep. Rolex, not so much.

Probably just trying to give you the full spectrum of, what they consider to be their luxury category.
I definitely would not bump them down to the contemporary/designer slot.
But I guess that also depends on how one defines luxury...

Most brands have an interesting history, to name a few... Breitling, Bulova, Glycine, Longines, Omega, Rolex, Seiko and Zodiac considered toolwatch heritage IMHO

It's about price point. Longines prices their watches is way above that of the listed contemporary/designer brands.

Doesn't hurt that Longines is on an absolute roll right now either

When one considers the gasp that most folks utter at any watch that costs more than $500. Yea, luxury.

Where does MR-G G-Shock fit in? $5,000 for their latest. $3,000 for entry level.

upload_2023-8-4_8-59-16.png

Slightly expensive, but doesn't really look that nice
Edited:

I like Credor as a luxury sub brand of Seiko. This is one I would like to have if the opportunity existed. 7 million is a bit steep.

upload_2023-8-4_9-54-38.png

Slightly expensive, but doesn't really look that nice

I wouldn't buy it. But the picture was to show the price tag and why Longines can be in the luxury category.

This one is on my radar for a fine watch :

longines-spirit-l3-802-5-53-2-detailed-view-3000x2000-101-1686568874.jpg

Longines has nice watches.

Is it a Luxury brand??? Swatch is purposely keeping Longines from being a luxury brand. Grand Seikos get more luxury notice than a brand new Longines.

upload_2023-8-4_10-3-13.png
upload_2023-8-4_10-5-3.png

upload_2023-8-4_10-19-35.png
Edited:

Longines has nice watches.

Is it a Luxury brand???

I guess it depends whom you talk to, as the word "luxury" means different things to different people and I have no monopoly/authority on the word "luxury".
To me, Omega, Rolex, Grand Seiko, IWC, etc ... and the prices of some Longines are definitely in my luxury category. But if you ask folks who buy a dozen Richard Mille watches, they will probably tell you and me that Omega, Rolex, Grand Seiko, IWC, etc ... are NOT luxury watches.

When one considers the gasp that most folks utter at any watch that costs more than $500. Yea, luxury.

Indeed Longines is the traditional Swiss brand which has always positioned itself as selling “nice” Swiss watches to regular people.
And it has cornered the market in question, as I understand it is still the largest watch seller worldwide in terms of the number of watches sold yearly.
So yes, for most people it does fit in the luxury category.

PS and many folks would gasp at any watch costing over 150 euros.
Heck, I just helped a friend furnish an entire house for about that much money, 2 euro lamps, 5 euros art nouveau night stands, stainless steel cutlery 10 pieces for 1 euro- all to make an old family house comfortable in a 13th century town where the wealth is in the people, the arts, the history and the good food— not the material objects one possesses.
Edited:

Heck, I just helped a friend furnish an entire house for about that much money, 2 euro lamps, 5 euros art nouveau night stands, stainless steel cutlery 10 pieces for 1 euro- all to make an old family house comfortable in a 13th century town where the wealth is in the people, the arts, the history and the good food— not the material objects one possesses.

Wow! Now that is some expert knowledge!!! My wife also has a way of finding brand name clothing that some how managed to get sold off to liquidators. She buys brand new clothes for less than $20 per item with the original sales tags still on them. Half of the stuff though honestly I question what was going through her mind when she thought she could wear the item in public 😀

I guess it depends whom you talk to, as the word "luxury" means different things to different people and I have no monopoly/authority on the word "luxury".
To me, Omega, Rolex, Grand Seiko, IWC, etc ... and the prices of some Longines are definitely in my luxury category. ...

Any watch is a luxury to me these days. I don't think I can ever by another watch unless it comes with a charging cable.

Half of the stuff though honestly I question what was going through her mind when she thought she could wear the item in public 😀

Ahem- I’m sure she wonders the same when she sees you wear on your wrists those 50mm vintage pilot watches … you know, those B-Uhr - Weems- etc etc…

But now I’m curious to see what type of designer clothes your wife has dug up. That would be a pretty remarkable thread drift on the forum 😜