Forums Latest Members

Long introductory post by an old guy who finally got his omega!

1. Virmonk Dec 28, 2020

Greetings all,
    Since I just joined the forum I wanted to make a introduction for my first post before putting anything else up although I tend to read a lot more than I post. I've actually been reading over here for a while and you guys have a great site. I've learned a lot for sure.

Bit about myself, I'm getting older but have always loved watches. From my first quartz in the 80s it been a part of me. I loved that casio but was always amazed by my mechanical watches like my dads seiko and grandpas rolex. So intricate, so nice....and so expensive lol. Fast forward to my teens and I was given an old elgin my grandfather had. I love that watch but it needed work and was put away. Eventually in high-school I ended up in Washington DC on a school trip and ended up with a fake watch sold on a corner. It was the first automatic I could afford and I could care less about the brand but the fact it was a fake always bugged me. It felt disingenuous.

So in my early 20s I decided to buy a good everyday ware automatic and ended up with a invicta pro diver. I know those watches get a lot of hate but that watch was special to me. It was a stainless auto diver that reminded me of a sub but wasn't. Definitely a homoge but not a folex. It proudly said invicta and I dug that. 15 years of beating the crap out of that watch from landscaping to diving 100 ft below the oceans surface...it never died. It did start looking pretty rough though lol. I finally decided to work towards what I've really lusted over and seemed impossible...an omega.

There's always been something special about omegas to me. Lots of peoples grail is a rolex but mine has always been an omega diver. That is until I got older and the speedmaster started fighting for that title lol. Oh my lord how I want a speedy. But good news is at almost 40 I do have my first omega. An old f300 skin diver which to me is so friggin cool. Its currently being service and I can't wait till it gets back home. I've never made a lot of money so this is really big to me.

Anyways sorry for the wall of text and the tldr version is old dude is finally getting his omega!

Rudi99, thelinendial, Kim and 22 others like this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 28, 2020

Old dude? Are you kidding me? I've got socks your age!

Congratulations on your Diver and be sure to post some pictures when you get it back.

Welcome to the forum!

Gamma11, tpatta, SpeedyPhill and 15 others like this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 28, 2020

Welcome!

I have bought one watch on a corner in Washington, DC. It was a Planet Ocean. That was the beginning of the end :D

Virmonk, Spruce and noelekal like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Dec 28, 2020

Welcome aboard! Do you have a pic of your new f300 before it went off to service? I bet you do ;)

DaveK, Virmonk and noelekal like this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 28, 2020

No kiddin' UncleBuck! And I wasn't even considering my socks to be old yet that either have been in the sock drawer or on my feet longer than Virmonk's been in existence!

Welcome to you Virmonk! Glad you joined us. You may pontificate about your enthusiasm all you like.

We love photos!

marco, UncleBuck, apsm100 and 2 others like this.
  6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Dec 28, 2020

Including the venerable Invicta, after so many years service it probably deserves formal recognition :)

Syzygy, marco and Virmonk like this.
  7. Virmonk Dec 28, 2020

LOL well I guess its how you look at it. I'm definitely younger than some but my kids call me old man all the time so there's that. Well and the grey hair but you know what I like it. When I was a wee lad I saw a comic and the character had white hair. I told my grandma he looked cool and I like white hair. She said careful what you wish for. Funny stuff

Now as far as my watches ill gladly take some photos and it warms my heart anyone would want to see the old invicta. If it wasn't for that watch I might not have ever stepped up to better watches and it served me well. I actually gave it to my oldest son recently and am fixing it up for him. Needs new pins in the bracelet. I have a small collection I really like although some of the watches need some love as the f300 did like a vintage quartz seamaster and a mido oceanstar with a service stamp from 1951. First watch to get fixed and a full service was my grandpas elgin.

I'll try to get some pictures together tomorrow and thank you for the warm welcome.

8. JwRosenthal Dec 29, 2020

Being only 8 years your senior, I get the “old”- but am constantly reminded of my youth when I hear some of the stories of our compatriots here.
    Invicta is a gateway drug for many- so despite the ribbing they get from us, we secretly give them a nod. Plus they own Glycine now so they did something right. Hell, we have G-shock collectors here so all watches are loved for their merits...except Micheal Kors and Kenneth Cole watches...we don’t speak of them.
    Lots of Mido fans here so your Ocean Star is also welcome to show off. I am assume the stamp is ‘61 on that as I don’t believe the OS was part of their line-up in ‘51. I’ve had two from ‘61-62 and they are stunning watches.

64Wing and Virmonk like this.
  9. Virmonk Dec 29, 2020

I think you are correct in your dating. When I bought the watch off my friend he said his grandpa bought it new sometime around the late 50s/early 60s. He wore it almost every day and it shows and at one point it had water damage. Its in rough shape but my friend was trying to pawn it for weeks with no luck. I told him in its shape I couldn't pay much but I didn't want to see him give the thing away for nothing since its a cool watch with history and was a family heirloom. I knew he needed money so I gave him 100 bucks cash.

When I picked up my elgin I brought the mido with me and after showing it to him he asked if I could get my money back. I told him no its about more than the money and asked if he minded looking it over at least since it may just be a project. Looking inside the case with his lens he pointed out numerous dates etched inside. He said one was from 51 and since he had the magnifying lens I went with it but 51 and 61 look pretty similar. I'd post a pic but haven't figured that out yet lol. Love learning more and research has brought me to this forum several times in the past so I figured time to join.

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 29, 2020

Click on "add photos" at bottom of new post and then click on the file you wish to upload.

Virmonk likes this.
  11. Virmonk Dec 29, 2020

Testing

20201229_093507.jpg 20201229_093412.jpg
    Syzygy likes this.
  12. amcclell Dec 29, 2020

Design definitely looks early 60's.

Virmonk likes this.
  13. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 29, 2020

They don’t make them like they used to, dibs on the socks :thumbsup:

krogerfoot, Spruce and UncleBuck like this.
  14. blueteg Dec 29, 2020

To me, what makes watch collection/admiration such a cool hobby is that a watch can have extreme sentimental value in be a great reminder of that everytime you look down to check the time. :)
    It may be something that was passed down to you from a older relative, or mark a fond moment in your life (gift from a significant other, gift to yourself after reaching a work milestone, something you bought on or for a vacation, etc). Congrats on your new to you f300, and I'm sure that the fact that you had to wait a few years in life to be able to acquite something like that, makes it all the much sweeter.

DaveK and Virmonk like this.
  15. Virmonk Dec 29, 2020

Here's some pics as promised including One of the old battle damaged invicta and a low quality pic of the f300 from when I got it. No elgin as its not with me. This is my happy little collection.

Autos are the mido ocean star, glycine combat sub and a jdm full lumed seiko 5. A quartz seamaster is hanging with them. It doesn't run and it came with the f300.

Digitals include my planes trains and automobiles style Jdm a159, my 5600 gshock (only space watch for now lol), another slimmer black casio and a cheap fossil smart watch. Dont really like smart watches but wanted to try one. Super slow response and no battery life. Feels like having an extra phone with me on my wrist

20201229_151103.jpg 20201229_145652.jpg 20201229_145409.jpg 20201229_145332.jpg 20201229_145131.jpg
    Edited Dec 29, 2020
    noelekal, Syzygy, 64Wing and 2 others like this.
  16. aleksejeremeev Dec 29, 2020

Time cannot be stopped. ((You write that you are aged, but you are happy as a child, so your happiness is sincere.
    It's nice to read what you feel. And of course we are waiting for a photo from you

noelekal and Virmonk like this.
  17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 30, 2020

Makes us wonder who's the oldest on this forum... but remember:
    Age 60 might be the new 40, but 9:00 pm is the new midnight...
    Observation not Age brings Wisdom !

Virmonk likes this.
  18. Kim Dec 30, 2020

Old dude? Lol. I'm 41. Now I feel bad :)
    Anyway. Welcome on board.

Virmonk likes this.
  19. Virmonk Jan 22, 2021

She's back! Been keeping perfect time all week and finally got a nato strap so I can give her some wrist time. So as promised heres some pics.

20210122_160845.jpg 20210122_160726.jpg
    kaplan, Spruce, UncleBuck and 3 others like this.
  20. kaplan Jan 23, 2021

That's a unique 300hz, looking good, I thought I've seen them all, but no :)

Virmonk likes this.