Let's see those Blacked Dialled Seamaster Companion & Technic / Technical Dials

I bought a BOR bracelet a couple months ago for my Seamaster 165.002. I think it really compliments it.

Well this has certainly improved matters.

At the top is a before shot, with the original, mouldy looking lume. This wasn't doing the watch any justice so off it went for a relume.

IMG_3153.PNG

And here's the result. To my eye it looks immeasurably better. Yes, it's no longer original, but this is a prime example of how a good relume can improve a watch.

IMG_3157.PNG
IMG_3159.PNG
Excellent result! My philosophy is the mold wasn't original either, so no harm done!

Didn't spot this particular variant in this thread so let's add a Seamaster 600 Genève to the technical dial library:

IMAG2009.jpg IMAG2018.jpg

Can anybody explain why the Omega logo varies from one 135.011 technical dial to the next? One's logo clearly has more curvature than the other which also does not have the second interior ring with the minute marks.
Any guess why that is?

Photos for reference: 690054-00c68b2839ffcc77a35d9643a4572936.jpg C9963889-2531-4EBE-91C7-50C31D547121-scaled.jpeg

Number of Seamaster 300 companion models, but not one Speedmaster companion

Didn't keep any of mine, but only have this one image left

speedc.jpg

Also toss in my 300 companion

omega100.jpg

Not great pictures, but think I used my Sony Mavica 1.3mp camera

DON

Fantastic dials! More please!

Military = companion = broad hour markers
Technical = thin hour markers
Did I get this right?

Fantastic dials! More please!

Military = companion = broad hour markers
Technical = thin hour markers
Did I get this right?

These models were created during the late 60's and are actually technical styled dials. Number of variations as you noticed.

However. There is only one model thats the closest to the Speedmaster and thats the image of my old watch. Blank dial with simply Omega/logo and white hands.

Others shown have model names, cross hairs or they don't match the Speedmaster design due to fatter index markings. Also have silvered hands

The second model is the Seamaster 300 Companion as the index's match the style of the original model. Hands close to the original baton hands, but not an exact match. Manual or automatic

These two are the only companion models. Others are just variations or cousins once removed

DON

Lovely examples @dmtowl. The two types of second hand are certainly genuine variation. I’m pretty sure the crown on the example on the far left is a replacement though.

Lovely examples @dmtowl. The two types of second hand are certainly genuine variation. I’m pretty sure the crown on the example on the far left is a replacement though.
Thank you for the nice comment. Hmm, the more I look into it the more confident I am that it is original. Here are some other examples with the same seconds hand and same crown?

Well never say never with vintage Omega, although the second picture you posted is a different reference altogether (seamaster 600 ref 135.011) and that crown is correct for that reference.

My feel is that’s a standard style service crown after the originals were discontinued.

Well never say never with vintage Omega, although the second picture you posted is a different reference altogether (seamaster 600 ref 135.011) and that crown is correct for that reference.

My feel is that’s a standard style service crown after the originals were discontinued.
Hmmm a very valid point, did not even notice there was a SM600 version of this watch. After reading through the thread, doesn't seem like we have any photos of ones in the flesh! I'll do some more research, but information is quite sparse about these companion models. Your wonderful thread here is the best compilation of information I've found. Regardless, I am so happy to own these three and will be hunting for any more companion models I can find in the future, especially a SM600 variant.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the crown either way. It pales into insignificance when compared to the dials on your examples, which is by far the main attraction.

Re the crown, as far as I’m aware there isn’t a different crown for the companion models - it’s the same as the standard silver dial models on the 166.002 or 135.011 etc.

Crown on my old Technic dial 165.002 (I’d love to have this one back!). As you can see it’s the standard 165.002 crown. I still think the other type is a service crown but can’t be 100%.

5FECD399-AAEB-49D5-B51E-49B693481FD6.jpeg

Original post updated to detail more of the variation seen in the Technic dials. Perhaps I should’ve done a separate thread for Technic dials only.

If anyone has any additions or corrections please let me know.

Well I finally managed to snag one of the true Seamaster 300 Companions, ref 165.002.

A safe queen she is not. The crystal is cracked, scratched and crazed to hell, winding the movement feels like stirring gravel and the lume is minging.

Still, the case is pretty sharp, the dial is original and the main body is decent and the hands are correct and original. It’s not something I’d do on a whim but in this case I think a sympathetic relume will certainly improve the watch, along with a new crystal and service.

1703B4D0-EA00-44A8-BFBC-B07BC36940B4.jpeg

Well I finally managed to snag one of the true Seamaster 300 Companions, ref 165.002.

A safe queen she is not. The crystal is cracked, scratched and crazed to hell, winding the movement feels like stirring gravel and the lume is minging.

Still, the case is pretty sharp, the dial is original and the main body is decent and the hands are correct and original. It’s not something I’d do on a whim but in this case I think a sympathetic relume will certainly improve the watch, along with a new crystal and service.

1703B4D0-EA00-44A8-BFBC-B07BC36940B4.jpeg

I almost contested you on this one, congrats, it looks great

Edit: I think lume looks awesome, yet maybe a professional cleaning on the dial smudges around indices