Left in a drawer for 30 years

An automatic Omega modern or vintage was left in a desk draw for 30 years never serviced, never exposed to light or water, never worn.

Years later a relative inherits it, can it be serviced? Would the years of the watch movement not working cause damage to the movement?

With the service prices in the next 5 years probably going to cost over £1,000, next 15 years I hate to think. I may just put my watch in the desk and just admire it from time to time and never service or wear it. My job does not allow me to wear a watch while working anyway for infection control reasons, so it is only worn now and again currently. I do love the watch though so may keep it in the draw and look at it from time to time. 🙁

The watch should be serviced, after that much time the lubricants will have dried out.

The watch should be serviced, after that much time the lubricants will have dried out.
What I mean if it was left for 30 years and my relative who would inherit it then service it would it be ok?

What I mean if it was left for 30 years and my relative who would inherit it then service it would it be ok?
Yes.

My Seamaster that I have owned since passed to me by my Mother ( dads watch) in 1990 that I wear quite a bit was last serviced in 1993, left in a drawer after service until about 2020 where I now wear it a few hours a couple of times a week, keeps perfect time, has great power reserve.
Probably I should service it but all the vitals look as they did all those years ago after my last service.
Of course your results may vary with heat, humidity etc.
I have other watches ( not Omega) that stopped running in these time frames. A perfect example is a British 1858 Pocket watch I had serviced the same week ( 1993) by the same Omega Qualified watchmaker, pretty much spent the intervening years in the drawer ( same Drawer) and not used except a couple of times a year, that this year has ceased to run due to dried out lubricant ( I guess).
Edited:

If parts are available in 30 years, yes...service it. Lubricants are the issue here, it's not like the parts themselves 'wear out' because they sat idle. But if you run it before at least cleaning and lubing, you risk damage to the parts. It's mechanical, like an engine of a car...if you found a barn find 1965 GTO, would you simply fire it up and hope to successfully do a road trip? I hope not. At least flush the systems and lube it up before hitting the road, otherwise, you're risking a bad day.

If parts are available in 30 years, yes...service it. Lubricants are the issue here, it's not like the parts themselves 'wear out' because they sat idle. But if you run it before at least cleaning and lubing, you risk damage to the parts. It's mechanical, like an engine of a car...if you found a barn find 1965 GTO, would you simply fire it up and hope to successfully do a road trip? I hope not. At least flush the systems and lube it up before hitting the road, otherwise, you're risking a bad day.

Good point on car analogy

Yes.

My Seamaster that I have owned since passed to me by my Mother ( dads watch) in 1990 that I wear quite a bit was last serviced in 1993, left in a drawer after service until about 2020 where I now wear it a few hours a couple of times a week, keeps perfect time, has great power serve.
Probably I should service it but all the vitals look as they did all those years ago after my last service.
Of course your results may vary with heat, humidity etc.
I have other watches ( not Omega) that stopped running in these time frames. A perfect example is a British 1858 Pocket watch I had serviced the same week ( 1993) by the same Omega Qualified watchmaker, pretty much spent the intervening years in the drawer ( same Drawer) and not used except a couple of times a year, that this year has ceased to run due to dried out lubricant ( I guess).

Nice. What Seamaster version is it? Any pics?

If you just want to look at an Omega watch, I can sell you a rare NFT that you can gaze on to your heart's content.
😉

In my working life, I also worked in a number of environments where a watch could not be worn (some rather hazardous to humans, not just watches).

I would always remove/stow my watch, and then wear it again when I was back to normal mode.

Many of the watches I have been playing with have sat in a drawer for anywhere from 18 to 28 or so years. Every so often I would look at them. Many I forgot exactly when or where I got them. Of course I keep the Omegas in a separate box in a different drawer. Some I serviced myself in the 1990s. Others I have never touched.
The speedy still runs. But I do not use it much. I stopped wearing it when the crystal got scraped. Sometime I would like to get it a good professional service. Same goes for the chronostop. I still wear the seamaster often, but have noticed wear on the strap in the recent posted photographs.

I notice some of the watches still run some do not. There are so many factors involved.

Mostly the OP question seems academic. The tone seems to be directed more to the higher end watches with intrinsic value. Tastes and fashion does change. At one time most companies had 30 year plans. Now they seem to have 30 minute plans. Predicting the next 30 could be diffucult. Just look at the last 3 years.

It is easy to see ages when looking back in history. The 1790s were much different than the 1840s, yet many of the same people were alive in both years. When I came into the world, anyone that would be my age now or older were pretty much born in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. My grandmother would talk of horse and buggys to moon rockets. They saw a lot of change in 60 or 70 years.

How does one predict what things will do. When I was little computers occupied whole rooms. Now they fit in our pockets. The activating parts smaller than many watch components. One of the factors that did drive this miniaturization was watches. Curiously the machines used to assemble such devices came from 8mm cine film. When Video tape replaced home movies the film reels and transports became obsolete. Yet some clever person (I have an article somewhere that says it was the swiss watch industry.) repurposed such reels and transports for automated assembly. This is called SMT for surface mount technology. But the contemporary article called it Swiss Manufactue Technique (or the french equivalent.)

To most people such changes are basically magical. They were one way one day, and something completely different years later. No one can even agree as to when or where the transition happened. Often the same thing happens independently in different parts of the world. It is probable that someone in Japan also thought to adapt cine film transports to feed robot assembly lines.

Or as the Wright brothers said. "When it is time to build bicycles, people build bicycles."

Babbage's computer plans sat in a drawer for more than 150 years. No one could understand them till the 1970s and No one bothered to build the machines til the 1990s. The only reason they came to light, was patent litigation. Who really invented the computer?

What then happens when you put a cell phone in a drawer for 30 years. Or look at the value of an electronic watch from 30 years ago?

I squirreled away some LPs and some 12 inch laser discs. The LPs can be played optically. I guess someone could figure out the analog PWM used on the laser disks (apart from they rot and the machines have a hard to play on the original equipment.) CDs use a different technology. I probably have some CDs stuck in a drawer. Now everything is in the 'cloud.' Good luck accessing your virtual watch skins in 30 years.

And yes, I do have a folding bicycle hung from the ceiling in my workshop. Tires are flat and the chrome rusted. Should get it restored some day.

(the midnight poster strikes again.)

Of course I keep the Omegas in a separate box in a different drawer.
That’s terrible. Let them out to play and mingle with the rest of the kids ! 😗😝

If I am reading the thread correctly, the OP does not want to wear the watch, but is asking if it should be serviced before he puts it in storage for his heirs. If that is the question, then my answer would be "no." There's no point in servicing it now, since the lubricants will not be very effective in 30 years. Your heirs would need to have it serviced again anyway, and if the watch is in good condition today, it will be in good condition after servicing then.

The only issue would be if the watch needs a major repair and replacement parts. In that case, it might be better to have it done now, to insure that your heirs don't need to search for hard-to-find parts.

Many of the watches I have been playing with have sat in a drawer for anywhere from 18 to 28 or so years. Every so often I would look at them. Many I forgot exactly when or where I got them. Of course I keep the Omegas in a separate box in a different drawer. Some I serviced myself in the 1990s. Others I have never touched.
The speedy still runs. But I do not use it much. I stopped wearing it when the crystal got scraped. Sometime I would like to get it a good professional service. Same goes for the chronostop. I still wear the seamaster often, but have noticed wear on the strap in the recent posted photographs.

I notice some of the watches still run some do not. There are so many factors involved.

Mostly the OP question seems academic. The tone seems to be directed more to the higher end watches with intrinsic value. Tastes and fashion does change. At one time most companies had 30 year plans. Now they seem to have 30 minute plans. Predicting the next 30 could be diffucult. Just look at the last 3 years.

It is easy to see ages when looking back in history. The 1790s were much different than the 1840s, yet many of the same people were alive in both years. When I came into the world, anyone that would be my age now or older were pretty much born in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. My grandmother would talk of horse and buggys to moon rockets. They saw a lot of change in 60 or 70 years.

How does one predict what things will do. When I was little computers occupied whole rooms. Now they fit in our pockets. The activating parts smaller than many watch components. One of the factors that did drive this miniaturization was watches. Curiously the machines used to assemble such devices came from 8mm cine film. When Video tape replaced home movies the film reels and transports became obsolete. Yet some clever person (I have an article somewhere that says it was the swiss watch industry.) repurposed such reels and transports for automated assembly. This is called SMT for surface mount technology. But the contemporary article called it Swiss Manufactue Technique (or the french equivalent.)

To most people such changes are basically magical. They were one way one day, and something completely different years later. No one can even agree as to when or where the transition happened. Often the same thing happens independently in different parts of the world. It is probable that someone in Japan also thought to adapt cine film transports to feed robot assembly lines.

Or as the Wright brothers said. "When it is time to build bicycles, people build bicycles."

Babbage's computer plans sat in a drawer for more than 150 years. No one could understand them till the 1970s and No one bothered to build the machines til the 1990s. The only reason they came to light, was patent litigation. Who really invented the computer?

What then happens when you put a cell phone in a drawer for 30 years. Or look at the value of an electronic watch from 30 years ago?

I squirreled away some LPs and some 12 inch laser discs. The LPs can be played optically. I guess someone could figure out the analog PWM used on the laser disks (apart from they rot and the machines have a hard to play on the original equipment.) CDs use a different technology. I probably have some CDs stuck in a drawer. Now everything is in the 'cloud.' Good luck accessing your virtual watch skins in 30 years.

And yes, I do have a folding bicycle hung from the ceiling in my workshop. Tires are flat and the chrome rusted. Should get it restored some day.

(the midnight poster strikes again.)
Your a poet

That is an awesome dial

To be fair this watch has seen very little usage in its life being mostly sat in a drawer from day one.
My father almost never wore it as he was physically very active with building and maintenance on our 2 properties, no time to relax meant no time to wear the Omega.
Same for me, from 1990 to 2020 sat in a drawer, let out for week in 1993 to get serviced.
I doubt that it's been worn more than a couple of weeks total in its life 🙁.
These days I have so many vintage watches that aren't like new (all freshly serviced though) that there isn't much need to wear this as new one.

Why not wear it as much as possible off the job and just enjoy it? How do you know anyone will even want this random trinket in 30 years? The cost of ownership for a single watch isn’t that high. If all you can think about is the cost to service it than it may be best to just sell and get your money out of it now. This is one of my justifications for getting an expensive watch relatively young. I can wear the hell out of this thing and enjoy it for (hopefully) a very long time. Average the cost over 30-40 years and it’s actually pretty cheap for the enjoyment it brings me every single day. Why wait until I’m 55 or 65 and retire and finally treat myself to a 10k Rolex or whatever and croak a couple years later? Wear it!

Why not wear it as much as possible off the job and just enjoy it? How do you know anyone will even want this random trinket in 30 years? The cost of ownership for a single watch isn’t that high. If all you can think about is the cost to service it than it may be best to just sell and get your money out of it now. This is one of my justifications for getting an expensive watch relatively young. I can wear the hell out of this thing and enjoy it for (hopefully) a very long time. Average the cost over 30-40 years and it’s actually pretty cheap for the enjoyment it brings me every single day. Why wait until I’m 55 or 65 and retire and finally treat myself to a 10k Rolex or whatever and croak a couple years later? Wear it!

Very true but I am spoiled for choice with so many vintage watches in the collection, cost of service doesn't enter into the equation as my Watchmaker will only charge about $US70.00 for a service and it certainly doesn't require any parts to make that more expensive.
It's value to me is sentimental and it will be passed on to the next generation.

my Watchmaker will only charge about $US70.00 for a service ...

As a side note, that would seem unreasonable low to me. If I service one of my watches, I disassemble it completely and even in case of a time only watch and no problems found, I rarely manage disassembling, cleaning, inspection, reassembling and oiling within about an hour (I consider an hour rate of $US70 as appropriate).

Cheers, Bernhard
Edited:

Very true but I am spoiled for choice with so many vintage watches in the collection, cost of service doesn't enter into the equation as my Watchmaker will only charge about $US70.00 for a service and it certainly doesn't require any parts to make that more expensive.
It's value to me is sentimental and it will be passed on to the next generation.
My apologies, I should have made it more clear I was addressing the OP. I understand it’s different if one has a large collection, delicate vintage pieces, preserving an heirloom, etc. That doesn’t seem to be the case for the OP but perhaps I’m mistaken.