Left in a drawer for 30 years

Why not wear it as much as possible off the job and just enjoy it? How do you know anyone will even want this random trinket in 30 years? The cost of ownership for a single watch isn’t that high. If all you can think about is the cost to service it than it may be best to just sell and get your money out of it now. This is one of my justifications for getting an expensive watch relatively young. I can wear the hell out of this thing and enjoy it for (hopefully) a very long time. Average the cost over 30-40 years and it’s actually pretty cheap for the enjoyment it brings me every single day. Why wait until I’m 55 or 65 and retire and finally treat myself to a 10k Rolex or whatever and croak a couple years later? Wear it!
I accepted that service is part of it when purchased. It just puts a bitter taste in my mouth compared to 10 years ago the service cost has doubled. If the service now is £590 in ten years with all the excuses companies use for higher cost of living it could be unrealistic. I wouldn’t be surprised when a service need five years from now it will be a £1,000, the one after that £1500 to £2,000. The watch with an AD 15% discount two years ago was £2,500. It all seems out of whack, Omega put up prices I think twice this year. Seriously, how long does it take to service a watch without parts cost, the Labour charge can’t be £590 for a few hours work. Omega authorised independents with a good reputation must be making ridiculously high incomes.
Edited:

I accepted that service is part of it when purchased. It just puts a bitter taste in my mouth compared to 10 years ago the service cost has doubled. If the service now is £590 in ten years with all the excuses companies use for higher cost of living it could be unrealistic. I wouldn’t be surprised when a service need five years from now it will be a £1,000, the one after that £1500 to £2,000. The watch with an AD 15% discount two years ago was £2,500. It all seems out of whack, Omega put up prices I think twice this year. Seriously, how long does it take to service a watch without parts cost, the Labour charge can’t be £590 for a few hours work. Omega authorised independents with a good reputation must be making ridiculously high incomes.

To do a proper service on a clean watch with no issues is probably 3 to 4 hours. Do not trust the You tube videos, they are edited for entertainment value. Possibly one could disassemble and re assemble a watch in an hour. Cleaning will be at least 30 minutes.

Of course if the watch is dipped into solvents like Naptha, then perhaps one could charge less. But how are the inside parts checked?

Back in the day. One could perhaps use the GI bill to say take an in person or online course. Then perhaps sign up with the local jeweler. Perhaps even manage to get some small premises at a cheap rate. This is great when one has all these costs amortized. Power bills, trash bills outlays for tools and consumables. Then there is the family to consider. Personal health problems. Taxes, legal issues (frivolous lawsuits after all they are making high incomes.)

Then there is the warranty work. Those are the ones you hear about.

We all want our high standards of living. Yet we also want that 5 cent or 10p candy bar.

........... Omega authorised independents with a good reputation must be making ridiculously high incomes.

Indeed they are $$$$$$$$$.

They also have ridiculously high outgoings.

The cost to set up a workshop to gain Omega accreditation would make your eyes water.
Then there are the ongoing "consumables costs", e.g." just one grade of watch oil at USD$15,000/Litre (although it isn't purchased in that quantity thankfully), but a good watchmaker may have to stock up to a dozen or more specific lubricants and other fluids, many of which have use by dates that require disposal at expiry.
Add to that the things noted by @sheepdoll, so yes, there is a reason for the ridiculously high incomes.

The issue I have and feel what will happen due to world events, Covid etc is that the prices of new watches including servicing will skyrocket out of proportion to what they did in the past. Any business or government organisation that can use any disaser as an excuse will do so. They will inflate a 20% problem into a 80% problem and charge you 80%. All of a sudden it is the recession or war etc fault. A local grocer independent in comparison to another grocer on the same road where I live charges reasonable prices. I mentioned to the owner your prices are responsible. His response was I still make a profit and a good living, I am not greedy.

The cost to set up a workshop to gain Omega accreditation would make your eyes water.

Just setting up for hobby work runs into the thousands if you want to do things right. I haven't even gotten mainspring winders or fancy presses or individual movement holders yet and I'm already crying a little. Let alone the workshop my wife and I have designed out of an amish shed which the structure alone is like $12k plus setup and electrification, etc. Then if/when it becomes a "business" there are even more outlays with insurance and beyond.

Good times! But hell, my small local shop run by a guy and his dad, they both drive several nice ass cars. The old man drives a Rousch Mustang and a Porsche. The watchmaker has a vette, a nice Jeep, and a big SUV. They're doing ok BUT they are overworked and so busy they can't keep up. They'd be happy to have someone to send small things to or easy stuff or whatever. I just have to focus and commit, which is also which making the sole income of the household. It just slows down the acquisition times really.

Just setting up for hobby work runs into the thousands if you want to do things right. I haven't even gotten mainspring winders or fancy presses or individual movement holders yet and I'm already crying a little. Let alone the workshop my wife and I have designed out of an amish shed which the structure alone is like $12k plus setup and electrification, etc. Then if/when it becomes a "business" there are even more outlays with insurance and beyond.

Good times! But hell, my small local shop run by a guy and his dad, they both drive several nice ass cars. The old man drives a Rousch Mustang and a Porsche. The watchmaker has a vette, a nice Jeep, and a big SUV. They're doing ok BUT they are overworked and so busy they can't keep up. They'd be happy to have someone to send small things to or easy stuff or whatever. I just have to focus and commit, which is also which making the sole income of the household. It just slows down the acquisition times really.
Porsche nice

The issue I have and feel what will happen due to world events, Covid etc is that the prices of new watches including servicing will skyrocket out of proportion to what they did in the past.
I understand your frustration. I think at some point service costs will have to top out at some percentage of what a new watch costs, which is also increasing. At the end of the day we’re talking about luxury veblen goods. Demand is increasing and supply of watches and watchmakers isn’t increasing by much in a price insensitive market. Is what it is. One option is to run your watch until it quits before servicing. You could potentially get 20 years or so out of it. Omega service will replace the worn out parts or whole movement so you’ll really get your monies worth. Then do it again. Maybe you’ll only need one service in your lifetime. Try not to sweat it too much. These things are meant to bring us enjoyment not stress.

I understand your frustration. I think at some point service costs will have to top out at some percentage of what a new watch costs, which is also increasing. At the end of the day we’re talking about luxury veblen goods. Demand is increasing and supply of watches and watchmakers isn’t increasing by much in a price insensitive market. Is what it is. One option is to run your watch until it quits before servicing. You could potentially get 20 years or so out of it. Omega service will replace the worn out parts or whole movement so you’ll really get your monies worth. Then do it again. Maybe you’ll only need one service in your lifetime. Try not to sweat it too much. These things are meant to bring us enjoyment not stress.

Great point. If Omega swap movement or replace parts do they charge extra on top of the service cost?

I think I am delirious, your post mentions mechanical service non chronograph is 750 euro translating to £659 sterling.

A few days ago I was certain on uk Omega’s site non chronograph, stainless steel mechanical was £590 up from previous price of £450. This would have been an increase of 30%.

I just checked back it says price is £450 as it was before.

Great point. If Omega swap movement or replace parts do they charge extra on top of the service cost?
My understanding from other threads here is they replace whatever needs replacing as part of the flat rate service cost.

My understanding from other threads here is they replace whatever needs replacing as part of the flat rate service cost.
Wow. That is good.

I have just checked Omega UK site and service cost is stated at £450 inc vat as it was last year. Either I have delirium or I miss read something.