Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Jun 16, 2014

If you find the exact serial time frame let me know. I'm looking for a movement :p

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

Mate I really wouldn't, even if you did find a movement from that extremely narrow period of 5000, if you ever sold the watch in the future you'd still have to tell them the movement was replaced otherwise the new owner is going to pull an extract from the archive and be told by Omega that they're the proud owner of a '62 Seamaster Chronograph or something. Then probably poison your dog.

I'd just get the seller to compensate you accordingly and wear it as its a killer looking watch, the expense isn't justified unless you somehow find a movement that both is in range, AND is a numbers match to an 002 in the archives.

TNTwatch and Dablitzer like this.
  3. Dablitzer Jun 16, 2014

I think you're right. The rest of the watch was too good to let go. The movement may have been replaced during service as it is still a pre moon movement. Who knows... These Speedies still baffle me! :)

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Jun 16, 2014

Tritium since around 2998-5 or-6

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

6. flame Speedmaster Neil Jun 17, 2014

Hi Alex

I've only just seen this , so apologies for the late contribution....been looking at some classic VW's for a change :)

Lovely looking Watch....and so close to being a great one - Oh well , can't win them all !

Best - Neil

7. Dablitzer Jun 17, 2014

Hi Neil

Yes. An oversight on my part. And fairly a big one. But, I am told that the 67' movement was replaced during a service, possibly.

I think in some ways I don't think I would of found a near pristine bezel and case and dial if I had found a entirely original one. I Made a compromise somewhere along the line. So IMO it's a good watch.

Best

Alex

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. flame Speedmaster Neil Jun 17, 2014

Hi Alex

Yes , definitely a possibility....I was offered a 2998 with a Service replaced 321 movement....Omega wouldn't have been worried about a matching Serial back in the late 60's !

Best - Neil

9. Dablitzer Jun 17, 2014

10. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 17, 2014

Beautiful watch, If you cannot live with it let me know, I would seriously consider taking it off your hands ;)

Dablitzer likes this.
  11. Davidt Jun 17, 2014

I read an article a while ago which quoted a gentleman who worked for omega servicing in the 60's. At one point he says that during servicing they didn't pay close attention to which movement went in a particular case and as such, it wasn't unheard of for watches to come back from a service with a swapped movement.

Dablitzer likes this.
  12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 17, 2014

there is no narrow timeframe for radium/tritium. there was a long discussion on the vintage rolex forum. and omega did the same in just using the existing radium dials as long as possible and replacing them with tritium, when the old ones were gone....for export reasons rolex/tudor marked the new lume dials in this period with underline/exclamations point on the 6 o`clock marker with tudors. developing countries still got radium dials when the USA and Europe were switched to tritium in the fear of legal actions. the atomic commission made their findings in the early 60`s. i do not think, that you can make definitive radium/tritium cut offs depending on models. not scientific proven. it is a overlapping period in the early 60`s. kind regards. achim

13. CoupDeFoudre Jun 18, 2014

I'm a huge fan of watches with patina and this just looks so beautiful! :cool:

Well done indeed!!!

Dablitzer likes this.
  14. enatz Jun 24, 2014

This is just awesome!

Dablitzer likes this.
  15. esspee1200 Jun 27, 2014

A beauty of a dial.

dsio and Dablitzer like this.
  16. Dablitzer Jun 27, 2014

Thanks! :)