Forums Latest Members
  1. Spinakerr Jul 4, 2021

With the purchase of my 45GS Hi-Beat last year I thought I had 'solved' my Grand Seiko problem. After a few years tracking down most of the vintage GS models the manual wind, Tanaka case and no-date subtle brushing was, to my eyes and wrist size, the pinnacle.

I then took a casual glance at the history of King Seiko. Oops.

I had previously decided against a 44GS given its size and price vs the 45GS, and the novelty (reliability be damned) of the 36000 movement.

Naturally, the history of the 44 movement in the King Seiko lineup lit another fuse in my lockdown brain, and after a few months missing 25 jewelers and 4420s, I narrowed my focus to a 27 jewel Chronometer with a spear tip second hand.

[​IMG]

All the marks are on the crystal - under a loupe it is A1. The only snag was a mark in the lion medallion (adorning the KS before GS I believe for this movement) which now appears blindfolded. I can live with that. The 49999 etching, so often lost to the wrists of time, is still clear.

[​IMG]

The weapon of choice - spear hand...

[​IMG]

Proper crown:

[​IMG]

The movement appear perfect, and the hacking lever present:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to get this one serviced!

ACTmike, ikanbilisclub and Zapatta like this.
  2. NT931 Jul 4, 2021

Congrats! These are uncommon so nice catch.

I recently acquired its cousin the 4420-9990. Love the case (those facets on the inside of the lugs) and the spear shaped second hand. Prices are creeping up but fortunately still quite affordable.

1EA990D9-6302-484E-BAD5-92F534C4893C.jpeg

YYTIN and Zapatta like this.