Kid searching for my first vintage Omega + Advice

A vital learning experience if someone wants this to be a long term hobby in my opinion and for me a lot of fun too! I have also sold more than I have kept - but this has helped me hone my tastes where access to vintage watches can be quite difficult, without initially investing in them. Unless you're very lucky and have a friend with a magnificent collection... 😀
Where is this friend haha

A vital learning experience if someone wants this to be a long term hobby in my opinion and for me a lot of fun too! I have also sold more than I have kept - but this has helped me hone my tastes where access to vintage watches can be quite difficult, without initially investing in them. Unless you're very lucky and have a friend with a magnificent collection... 😀
I think often times, some of us “veteran” collectors try to keep new collectors from folly- it’s not meant to be demeaning or condescending (also depends on the delivery of said advice) but from a genuine desire to share with others and help them do better than we did.
But honestly, this hobby is about physical interaction with the objects, and only by handling/owning many will we really be able not only understand what to avoid but also what we like.
OP, be prepared to fail- it’s ok, we all do. We just don’t want you to get turned off from the hobby when it happens…and it will happen.

I think often times, some of us “veteran” collectors try to keep new collectors from folly- it’s not meant to be demeaning or condescending (also depends on the delivery of said advice) but from a genuine desire to share with others and help them do better than we did.
But honestly, this hobby is about physical interaction with the objects, and only by handling/owning many will we really be able not only understand what to avoid but also what we like.
OP, be prepared to fail- it’s ok, we all do. We just don’t want you to get turned off from the hobby when it happens…and it will happen.
I am very excited for this new chapter in my watch collecting. I am perfectly fine with learning from others mistakes/successes and from those with experience. Only a fool thinks he has nothing to learn from others, especially those with waaaaayyyyyyyy more knowledge and experience lol.

I am very excited for this new chapter in my watch collecting. I am perfectly fine with learning from others mistakes/successes and from those with experience. Only a fool thinks he has nothing to learn from others, especially those with waaaaayyyyyyyy more knowledge and experience lol.
I learn something every day here.

I started out here on OF almost four years ago now when I was 22 and now I’m 26. Lots learned over the course of the years but the biggest takeaway is patience. I wish I had done more research before making a purchase. Plenty of threads on here where a little patience could have saved countless newbies hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

As others have already said, buy from the private listings here. Lots of great sellers and the nice examples tend to move quickly so be here daily or you may miss out!

It can take a couple years of experience to hunt around eBay, local auctions, and in store. Give it some time and you’ll be able to spot a diamond among the weeds.

I was only recently able and comfortable enough to spot potential and correctness in this from a local auction:

And after a service from watchmaker it turned into this:

I started out here on OF almost four years ago now when I was 22 and now I’m 26. Lots learned over the course of the years but the biggest takeaway is patience. I wish I had done more research before making a purchase. Plenty of threads on here where a little patience could have saved countless newbies hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

As others have already said, buy from the private listings here. Lots of great sellers and the nice examples tend to move quickly so be here daily or you may miss out!

It can take a couple years of experience to hunt around eBay, local auctions, and in store. Give it some time and you’ll be able to spot a diamond among the weeds.

I was only recently able and comfortable enough to spot potential and correctness in this from a local auction:

That's a perfect example of "knowledge is power".

I didn’t see you post this in the bargain thread 😗

That's the first vintage watch I bought upon joining the forum a few years ago:

dav-2.jpg

And here is the second one I bought after two years on the forum:

20230121-201837.jpg

Those are gorgeous. The gold case omega has such a cool dial!

Hehe remember that 'special dial' thread I posted earlier? Do not open the link. 😁

Well those are some lovely examples - my first vintage watch was certainly not quite as perfect as either of those - but it certainly got me hooked - and began my journey. Nowadays I rarely go near gold plaque - but this was just one of those lessons we learn! Fortunately when on the wrist the dial alone was enough to keep me hunting:

Well those are some lovely examples - my first vintage watch was certainly not quite as perfect as either of those - but it certainly got me hooked - and began my journey. Nowadays I rarely go near gold plaque - but this was just one of those lessons we learn! Fortunately when on the wrist the dial alone was enough to keep me hunting:

I still have to acquire something, but hopefully it will be amazing

My first vintage Omega (besides my Speedmaster which wasn’t so vintage when I bought it) was a redialed Seamaster ::facepalm1::

I was so proud of it until I posted it here and got taken (kindly and gently) to school. Haven’t done that since.

My first vintage Omega (besides my Speedmaster which wasn’t so vintage when I bought it) was a redialed Seamaster ::facepalm1::

I was so proud of it until I posted it here and got taken (kindly and gently) to school. Haven’t done that since.

That's a tough way to learn!

I think Ollie means that you need to be careful buying gold capped watches, especially from online images, because edges may be worn through and not clearly shown. Definitely avoid those!

However, gold capped vintage Omegas from the 50s and 60s have a significantly thicker layer of gold than later gold plated watches from the 70s and 80s. Don't turn your nose up at a vintage gold capped Omega in nice condition, as they were designed to wear well for years.

Here are a couple of examples..

I think Ollie means that you need to be careful buying gold capped watches, especially from online images, because edges may be worn through and not clearly shown. Definitely avoid those!

However, gold capped vintage Omegas from the 50s and 60s have a significantly thicker layer of gold than later gold plated watches from the 70s and 80s. Don't turn your nose up at a vintage gold capped Omega in nice condition, as they were designed to wear well for years.

That's right @lindo and if you like that aesthetic, they'll likely be even easier to find in your budget as generally I find gold cap cased watches are cheaper than steel.

the seamaster is gorgeous!

That's right @lindo and if you like that aesthetic, they'll likely be even easier to find in your budget as generally I find gold cap cased watches are cheaper than steel.
why is that you think?

why is that you think?

That's because collectors are afraid of gold capped/plated watches that show steel underneath around the edges, so these watches tend to be cheaper than plain stainless steel watches.

Back in the day, of course, new stainless steel Omega watches were cheaper than gold plated/capped ones.