Forums Latest Members
  1. Dadawada May 1, 2022

I'm a new owner of a new Seamaster. I've owned the watch for one week. During that time twice the watch hasn't kept time. Once it was almost exactly an hour off (late) and another time it was off by at least an hour and a half. Both times the watch was still running. However, my question is will the Omega lose time if the watch is still running but maybe low on the power reserve?

About winding...I've heard and read you cannot overwind. When I wind it just gets more difficult to wind but I never hear or experience any of the winding safety features I keep hearing about. The watch does not make a rachet sound when fully wound unless I'm not reaching that point yet and it never comes to a stop. I would imagine I've wound it 30 to 40 times.

Thanks in advance.

2. RKC May 1, 2022

i have a Seamaster Planet Ocean 8900 and Seamaster Professional 8800, and both are accurate to within 1s/day.
    No you should not be able to overwind. When new and not running, 50 turns should be sufficient. If your watch is that far off you need to take it back to your OB or AD as that is way off.

Dadawada likes this.
  3. fiberguy May 1, 2022

I bought a Seamaster 300m about a month ago. It gains approx 2 seconds per day. I pretty much wear it 24/7, i have wound it once since I bought it. If you are losing that much time in such a short period, something sounds seriously off.

Dadawada likes this.
  4. Dadawada May 1, 2022

Thanks for the reply...so if it is running period it should keep accurate time no matter what. Both times I've picked up the watch out of the case to wear and it was still running but an hour or more off. I didn't know if it was because it was about to run down.

5. Dadawada May 1, 2022

I don't wear it or any watch for that matter unless I'm going out. So much of the time it is in the box.

6. flw history nerd May 1, 2022

If it's off by that much time, it sounds to me as if it needs a service. If you bought it new within the past few months or so, it's within warranty. I'd send it to Omega.

Dadawada likes this.
  7. T I T A N I U M May 1, 2022

It sounds like perhaps the watch is actually stopping, getting behind, then restarting due to the movement when you remove it from the box. Are you checking the time before you take it out of the box, or only after you've put it on?

Dadawada likes this.
  8. Dan S May 1, 2022

30-40 turns of the crown should be enough. Try winding it every day at the same time if you're not wearing it. If it runs down to the end of its power reserve, it will not be accurate. And as noted above, even if the watch has stopped, it will start running when you pick it up and move it. Before deciding something is wrong with the watch, you would want to do a more systematic study of the performance. It sounds like your observations are very anecdotal and imprecise so far.

Dadawada likes this.
  9. Canuck May 1, 2022

Try actually wearing the watch. Start the test period by winding it manually about 40 turns, put it on first thing in the morning, and wear it continually, taking it off at night. Wear it each day for at least 12 hour for a week without doing any more manual winding. Get back to us with your findings. To get consistent performance out of your watch, the watch will have to rely on a consistent wearing pattern by you.

Dadawada and LuckyLes like this.
  10. Donn Chambers May 2, 2022

If you wear your watches so infrequently that they are stopping or showing the behavior you describe (from a low power reserve from sitting), but you expect them to be fully wound and ready to go, then the only solution is a watch winder.

either that or a quartz watch.

otherwise, you need to expect to wind the watch each time and probably set it.

Dadawada likes this.
  11. Dadawada May 2, 2022

Thanks for the replies. That was my question...does the watch have to actually stop or will it lose time if it is still running but maybe say 30 or 40 hours since last wind? I thought the power reserve would keep it running between winds...but will it also keep time?

Before I take it in to be sent back I'm trying to wear it all day and wind every morning first thing to see if it keeps up.

12. Canuck May 2, 2022

If you start a protracted test on your watch by winding it 40 plus turns, then wear it every day for 12 to 16 hours, I suspect ALL of your questions will be answered. Watches won’t perform predictably if allowed to wind down, just like a car won’t run if the tank is empty. Same goes with an EV if the batteries die. Self-winders weren’t designed for people who don’t wear them!

Dadawada likes this.
  13. craigsalisbury May 16, 2022

I bought my SMP a week ago and its bang on what the tests say, 5.3 secs per day fast, kind of annoys me as everyone else reports 1-2 secs. Im just going to sync it once a week and be on my way :)

Dadawada likes this.
  14. RKC May 16, 2022

My SMP 8800 after 18-days is a total of 10s fast. I'm extremely happy.
    My PO 8900 on the other hand loses 2s/day. Still impressed.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 16, 2022

Technically the PO is out of spec, I’d have it regulated to be slightly fast just so its easier to correct by hacking.

16. GMPHK May 16, 2022

My 300M was running 3-4 seconds fast when I first started to wear it. After a month or so it is running around +0.5 seconds fast. Like others have said, wear it everyday to condition it to wearing. Also, figure out how it likes to sit unworn for the best time keeping. My 300M keeps time better when sitting on the HEV side. My PO 8900 prefers to be sitting on the Crown for beat time keeping. You’ll work it out with regular wear. If your going to use a watch winder the same position when dormant applies as well. Just my $ 0.02. Good luck and congrats. Wear that thing more in good health!!