Forums Latest Members

Keep manual-wind wound or let it stop?

1. Annapolis Sep 10, 2021

I feel certain this topic has come up before, probably several times, but all the search terms I can think of are rather generic so the results aren’t helpful. Google yielded some ideas, but I’m curious what the forumgoers here think.

Manual-wind, modern watch with an approx 2-day power reserve. I’m the first owner, though my understanding is that it sat dormant for several years in the display case before I purchased it. (Don’t know that this is a relevant detail, but why not.) Time-only, no complications.

It’s the watch I wear when I need to dress up a bit for work; that typically means two days a week, usually not back-to-back days.

The question is, do I keep it wound (winding every morning), which is what I’ve been doing, or let it run down between wearings? It’s a breeze to set, so winding & setting (vs just winding) doesn’t really add any time.

My understanding is that with modern synthetic lubricants, there’s no worry that things will dry out any faster if I let it stop. I’ve read that keeping it wound may improve accuracy, but I’m not clear on why that would be the case. (It’s an insanely accurate watch right now.)

Any compelling argument for one side or the other?

MDmotorman likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 10, 2021

Fully wind the watch the days you wear it.

or if your more literal…

Fully wind a watch the first time you put it on that day.

jaguar11 and Annapolis like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 10, 2021

No advantage to winding on days you won’t wear it.

Pun and Annapolis like this.
  4. Dan S Sep 10, 2021

Only wind when you are going to use it. That will minimize wear and tear.

Annapolis likes this.
  5. Annapolis Sep 10, 2021

Appreciate these replies, thank you. The wear and tear issue was my major concern. (I’m familiar with the car analogy—you don’t leave it running in the garage.)

Ok, I think that’s sorted, then.

MDmotorman, Geme81 and Pun like this.
  6. sonicosa Sep 10, 2021

No need to wind it every day, imo, but I'm worried that your watch is currently sad that you didn't post it's picture in this thread...

MtnMarine, DaveK and Annapolis like this.
  7. Annapolis Sep 10, 2021

Mm, it’s not an Omega so I’m worried it’d get taunted by the cool kids.

Undertaker2 and sonicosa like this.
  8. marcn Enough space to say witty Sep 10, 2021

Is it this?

upload_2021-9-10_13-59-29.jpeg

9. Annapolis Sep 10, 2021

I could never afford that

Nobel Prize, sonicosa and blufinz52 like this.
  10. Evitzee Sep 10, 2021

Wear a manual watch when you wear it, otherwise no need to keep it wound. I have a manual AP perpetual calendar which I wear in normal rotation but it has been in the SD box since June while I was on vacation. I put it on a few days ago so I had to use the pushers to reset the day/date/month/moon, it took 90 seconds or so to use the date pusher to get from early June to September 7, then reset the weekday, then the moonphase. It's part of the ownership experience, I like interacting with my watches so no big deal. For a simple time only piece it's a piece of cake.

Pun and Annapolis like this.
  11. Master Blaster Sep 10, 2021

I think it's fine to leave them stopped but personally I give everything a wind at least once a month.

12. FL23833 Sep 10, 2021

If I bought said watch I would keep it running 24/7 for a little bit to make sure everything is kosher (maybe a few weeks or month) then only crank it when I wore it.

13. Annapolis Sep 10, 2021

yeah I’ve had it for about three months now, running the entire time. It’s keeping seconds per month time, so definitely no issues. Think I’ll wind it less often going forward.

FL23833 likes this.
  14. sonicosa Sep 10, 2021

Seconds per month accuracy, and we know it’s not an Omega. Now I’m even more intrigued.

15. marcn Enough space to say witty Sep 10, 2021

And, it’s not a Fonz watch. I’m all out of options here.

sonicosa and Undertaker2 like this.
  16. Annapolis Sep 10, 2021

:) Vacheron Traditionelle—using the venerable 4400 movement, which is as accurate as it is beautiful. I think I’ve set it twice in the time I’ve had it, and it was only off by maybe 30 seconds when I did.

Omega is no slouch either, of course, though my brand new SMPc gains about 8s per day, I’d guess. We’ll see how it does after the break-in period and with a little positional self-regulating. But the VC is unlike any other watch I’ve owned.

17. sonicosa Sep 10, 2021

Very nice. I walked by a Vacheron boutique in Miami’s design district when we were there on vacation in July. I meant to stop by before we left, but never made it. Next time I’ll need ro rectify that. I don’t know that I’ve ever had the opportunity to see their watches in person before.

Annapolis likes this.
  18. High Hope Sep 11, 2021

I just googled the Vacheron. Wow, what a beautiful piece. The detail and quality are mesmerizing.

Annapolis likes this.
  19. NT931 Sep 11, 2021

I have the VC Traditionelle too. Classic dress watch which I wear maybe 2-3x a mth, and I just set the time and wind it up when I wear it.

That's the nice thing about time-only manual wind watches - they're pretty easy to set and get going when it's time to use them.

IMG_3189.JPG

Alfista88, Pun, sonicosa and 3 others like this.
  20. Annapolis Sep 11, 2021

Looks like you have the platinum one?—just gorgeous. Mine is the white gold, with the white/opaline dial. To me, these are perfection, far more interesting than the Calatravas at the same price point. (Not that those aren’t also wonderful watches.)

The 4400 movement is a colossal waster of time—in that I’ve lost quite a bit staring at it. I know there’s a trade-off in precious metal value, having the transparent caseback, but to me the movement is where the great artistry is. The dial is so understated and the watch overall just elegantly sized in a way that attracts no unwanted attention. But if you want to blow someone’s hair back, just flip that thing over. :)