Forums Latest Members

Grandpa's chronograph - fix it or let it rest in peace?

1. izydor Mar 20, 2019

It's my first post here, so just sayin' HI to everyone!

Few weeks ago I wouldn't expect myself to join because I had no Omega in my collection (if that's what you call 3 low end watches) and wasn't even close to getting one. Only having SMP300 on my wishlist for 40th b-day, but that's a long term plan.
    Now things have changed as I've found family treasure. Although I believe I'm the only family member who thinks that way. I have seen it before like 20 yrs ago, but back then I didn't care about watches at all. So it was closed in a box and burried deep in the basement (or attic, maybe) and forgotten. That's, until I fall into mechanical watches and realised that "there was that nice watch somewhere". Took few years to find it.

IMG_2900.JPG

This watch belonged to my grandfather, WW2 soldier. He passed away long before I was born, so all the info I got comes from the family. He got the watch in England where his unit was moved in 1944/1945 from Switzerland or France. He had another, smaller Omega as an everyday watch (which I am going to ask about in another thread later), and I've been told this one here did not get much of a wrist-time.
    No one was able to tell my anything about the maintenance or service. I'd think that it was not serviced (or even taken care of), but there are some things that makes me wonder if it's in all-original state.

I did some research and found that it looks quite like a cal. 33.3. But that's it. I can't even tell which reference it really is (thinking about getting extract of the archives from Omega). Some 2077-ish, possibly?

Let me list my questions/concerns. I'd be very happy if someone can help me with these.

1. The movement. Obviously not in a mint condition. Rust all around, damaged hairspring, maybe something else. I don't know how this could happen if watch has not ben worn for 60+ years. Anyway, it runs for few minutes, so at least some parts of the mechanism are working. But it can only be slightly winded, and I don't want to damage it. The thing is - I'd like to bring it back to life. Do you think it's possible without selling a kidney to get a funds? I don't think the crystal is a problem, but what about internals?
    Do you think some renowed watchmaker can handle it or should I send it to Omega? I'm afraid they don't accept kidneys anyway.

IMG_2899.JPG

2. The dial. Not the most fancy I've seen in "33.3" range (I love the black or two-tone black grey ones), but not the ugliest either. Seen some vintage watches and I think it's not in the worst condition. Two things bother me - logo and hour markers/lume. First one, I find it uncommon that it's italic font. Makes me wonder if it's original? Markers/lume - they just look ugly. Is this how they should look after 80 years? Or the dial was relumed by an amateur? What should I do about it? Remove? Relume? Leave as is?

IMG_2903.JPG

3. Serial numbers. The one on caseback is 10 xxx xxx. On the movement - 9 xxx xxx. Looking through the internet, in most cases these numbers are closer. Something to worry about? Swapped caseback? Swapped movement?
    Also, shouldn't there be something else engraved on the inside of the caseback?

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

4. Blue hands. I like them so much! Just wanted to state that.

5. Is the crown original?

6. What does second pusher (at 4) do? I was able to start/stop/reset with the first one.

7. Is it a nice watch? ;)

Thanks!

Iz

Syrte, Magnix, Etp095 and 39 others like this.
  2. alex10 Mar 20, 2019

I wouldn't send it to Omega,no way,i would service at a watchmaker (the colleague's here can help you) And i wouldn't touch a single part of the dial. Only service the movement and replace the glass.

muel, chronos, ALBLOHE and 5 others like this.
  3. Fost Mar 20, 2019

This is an outstanding piece ..

Flatfoot, SwissZ, cvalue13 and 15 others like this.
  4. valjoux72 Mar 20, 2019

No, it´s not a nice watch! .... It´s a fantastic watch. As Alex already pointed out, just go find a very good watchmaker to repair the movement, look for a fitting crystal and leave dial/hands as is. Not sure about the crown but looks very nice. Maybe pusher at 4 is an additional chronograph pusher to stop/restart?

MJKauz, 64Wing, Als 27 and 5 others like this.
  5. corn18 Mar 20, 2019

I can't answer any of your questions, but I love this watch. Please bring it back to life and wear it!

6. Waxtactic Mar 20, 2019

I second all of these - bring it back to life. Simply gorgeous and each time you look at it and see a new ding you'll be wondering what your grandfather was up to when it happened :thumbsup:

64Wing, DaveK, chronos and 4 others like this.
  7. Screwbacks Mar 20, 2019

that's a beautiful 33.3.

give it a second chance in life. you can inquire from reputable & recommended watchmaker here at OF.

DaveK, percymon and fskywalker like this.
  8. ryanbk Mar 20, 2019

Just WOW !! Movement overhaul (and by all means not by Omega) and a new crystal and you have the the most wonderful family heirloom.

MJKauz, fskywalker and AveConscientia like this.
  9. ConElPueblo Mar 20, 2019

- Cal. 33.3.
    - Radium numerals and hands.
    - Blued hands.
    - Waterproof pushers and screwdown caseback.
    - More than decent dial, very good case.

Congrats, your collection now consists of 3 low end watches and 1 hugely attractive and quite expensive, highly sought-after watch :)

Dr No, MCC, Als 27 and 18 others like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Mar 20, 2019

Oh, and by the way:

If you send this to Omega, I will personally book a flight to the US, find you and yell at you.

JerryB, Syrte, cvalue13 and 47 others like this.
  11. JimJupiter Mar 20, 2019

Outstanding piece, congrats! Listen to the guys here, don't send it to Omega!

Nico

12. merchandiser Mar 20, 2019

Amazing watch, as others have suggested, just find a good watchmaker that will do a sympathetic overhaul of it. I've not seen many chronographs of this era with that Omega logo and dial signature, really outstanding!

fskywalker likes this.
  13. ricardorio Mar 20, 2019

Fantastic history and watch ¡!¡! Do not send to Oficial Omega service ¡!¡!

fskywalker likes this.
  14. JimJupiter Mar 20, 2019

Ah BTW, the lume looks just great! Don’t touch it at all!

fskywalker likes this.
  15. abrod520 Mar 20, 2019

It's beautiful. Service the movement, stabilize and preserve the dial / lume as-is.

fskywalker likes this.
  16. Omega world Mar 20, 2019

Outstanding watch,very beautiful.
    Just wear it ,enjoy this beautiful piece,and always remember your great Grandpa's.
    Bye.

fskywalker likes this.
  17. vintagemillenial Mar 20, 2019

beautiful and has a sentimental value, fix it up.

fskywalker likes this.
  18. alex10 Mar 20, 2019

:D

fskywalker likes this.
  19. pweingarten Mar 20, 2019

I agree...take it to a reputable watchmaker and MAKE SURE you stress to them that you do not want the case or dial altered in any way...Otherwise, they may try to polish it or God knows what.

fskywalker and Scooter like this.
  20. KP-99 Mar 20, 2019

Such a lovely watch!
    Some light signs of corrosion at the movement, but that should be no problem at all for a good watchmaker.
    Dial absolutely lovely with its lume.
    Stunning piece and rare.
    Fix the movement problems and then wear it and remember your grandpa!
    Thanks for showing this real stunning watch!

fskywalker likes this.