Forums Latest Members

JW Benson Automatic Information Please

1. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 21, 2019

I would welcome some information on this watch. Any value guesses?. History?. Age?. I can’t get it open unfortunately.
    There is no indication on the dial (redial?), but it is an automatic. I can't find anything comparable on Ebay or searching Google images.
    The watch is well made and keeping good time. Solid stainless case. Thoughts?.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Canuck Oct 21, 2019

I am going to take a wild guess, here. Notice the word FOREIGN below the 6 on the dial. The only time I have ever run into the word foreign on a dial was when the particular watch was of German origin. If you are able to have someone safely remove the case back, and have them take a good, clear, we’ll lit, well focussed photo of the mechanism, please post the image here. I’ll go out on a limb and offer the opinion that the movement in the case is by the German firm, Durowe. For a time after WWII, it was not an advantage to mark a product with GERMANY as the place of origin. I would guess your watch to be from the late 1950s or early 1960s. By the 1960s, Durowe was owned by Timex, later to be purchased by the Swiss consortium SSIH. Please get back to us with a picture of the works.

kingsrider likes this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 21, 2019

The watch could be a Franken. It has a Bulova crown and the FOREIGN did throw me for a loop considering it has London above. I don't have the right size bits for my case opener so I will have to take it to my watch guy. The pics don't do it justice. It is actually a real pretty watch. The dial has a two-tone effect that does not show well in the pics.

4. Canuck Oct 21, 2019

I’ll have a better idea once I see inside the case back. But I’ll go out on a limb (again), and offer the opinion that the crown with the Bulova name was put on at a time the watch was serviced. As to the LONDON, and the word FOREIGN? I have a Durowe movement behind a dial that is marked TOURNEAU (an American firm), but with a dial marked FOREIGN! Until I’m proven wrong, I’ll say the movement (if not Durowe) could be Laco, or another German firm. Private label watches are often an assortment of off the shelf components, and can give rise to some peculiar combination.

I have a Laco which is German, and also affiliated with Durowe, which is marked Foreign below the 6.

214DB6B2-B024-48C5-803A-6712A473F900.jpeg

Edited Oct 21, 2019
    kingsrider likes this.
  5. sxl2004 Oct 21, 2019

You need a watch caseback ball remover.

6. Canuck Oct 21, 2019

With this type of back, the ball is unlikely to work. If you will notice, the case back is keyed to the case as indicated by the tip of the arrow in the attached photo. It is a two-piece back, with an external threaded outer case ring. The back does not turn on the watch case.

C6D926DD-0A87-4092-ADBB-A5864C09E45A.jpeg

kingsrider and sxl2004 like this.
  7. sxl2004 Oct 21, 2019

Damn you are absolutely right.
    A ball is good to have, but will not help you here.

kingsrider likes this.
  8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 21, 2019

Yes, I noticed the ring compressor.