Forums Latest Members

Jim Clark and his relation to Enicar

1. JimJupiter Nov 20, 2021

Hey guys,

I was annoyed by the fact that almost every dealer selling an Enicar Sherpa Graph is selling the watch with the title "Jim Clark". Compared to the Speedmaster World, its like every Speedmaster ever is called "Ed White" ;). For sure it sells better, but its simpy wrong.

img_5728_square.jpg

Since a few years we know from pics, that Jim Clark was wearing a grey dialed Sherpa Graph during the mid sixities. But the connection goes a bit deeper. Clark was an official testimonial for the brand, was on advertisment and needed to wear the watch on the race track. But compared to Stirling Moss, who also was contracted by Enicar, Clark liked the watch that much, that he was also wearing the watch in private.

But lets come back to the correct reference of the so called "Jim Clark" Sherpa Graph. Since the references differs in small details, it wasnt so easy to find a destinct characteristic on the known pics. Luckily on one of the shots, it was clearly visible, that the inner Tachyscale was lacking the word "Tachymeter", which we just find in the reference MK 1b in the 409.xxx serial range. So here we go. Jim Clarks watch from 1963 to 1966 was a grey dialed Enicar Sherpa Graph MK 1b. Therefore just this reference earns to own this title.

Jim_Clark_Sherpa_Graph_no_tachy_closeup.jpg

If you want to read a bit more on this in detail and with a few more pics, have a look at my blog at Enicar101.com

https://enicar101.com/2021/11/19/the-correct-reference-of-jim-clarks-sherpa-graph/

If you have unknown pics of Clark with this watch on his wrist, I am also eager to see them.

Cheers Nico

Jim_Clark__Sherpa_graph.jpg Jim_Clark_Sherpa_Graph_no_tachy.jpg Jim_Clark_private_Sherpa_Graph_7.jpeg

2. Dan S Nov 20, 2021

I can certainly see why he favored that particular variation. The gray dial is very interesting and unique.

Omegafanman and JimJupiter like this.
  3. RI Omega Fan Nov 20, 2021

4. JimJupiter Nov 20, 2021

Thanks. Of course I know this link, but I wanted to focus on Enicar here and dig a bit deeper ;) (not here, but at Enicar101) . Compared to Gallet and Breitling, we also have proof that the companies sponsored him officially. Also it looks like we have a timeline of usage: from 1963-66 Enicar Sherpa Graph, and from 67 till his dead we saw him with the Breitling 806.

What makes me wonder a bit, is that I havn't seen any pic of Jim wearing a Gallet watch. Does anyone else? I would be highly interested!

Nico

RI Omega Fan likes this.
  5. JimJupiter Nov 20, 2021

Ok, I found this letter, maybe from a sale of a Clark Gallet, saying he got it from Jim Clark for stopping.

clark2.jpg
    (Chronometer?, Stainless Steel Bezel?)

Seems like this is the only connection to Gallet, since at the same time we have this pic of Clark at Indy 500 1965 sitting in his car with a Sherpa Graph on his wrist. Looks like this is an interesting field to dig deeper too (but I hope somebuddy else allready did!)

1965_MAY 17_1965 Indianapolis 500.jpg

maybe @Joe_A has a lead?

Edited Nov 20, 2021
    RI Omega Fan and Dan S like this.
  6. jaguar11 Nov 20, 2021

Some really nice pictures there! Cool watch as well.

7. MRC Nov 20, 2021

This is very interesting to a Jim Clark fan like me. He was just coming to the fore when I first got interested in motor-racing.

The caption writer for that article should have done a bit more research, that Formula 2 Lotus 35 with a 1 litre Cosworth SCA engine won't make 300 kph, probably wouldn't make 200. The photos were taken at Rouen in July 1965, there is an article about the race at https://peterwindsor.com/2015/07/19/no-time-to-relax/ Although Jim is driving for Ron Harris here he also drove for Normand Racing as seen the car alongside, but in two-seater sports cars, particularly the Lotus 23.

1965-rouen-2.jpg
    LAT Photographic

8. JimJupiter Nov 20, 2021

I have the feeling this is not the only thing someone should have put more time into. I found an old WUS thread from 2013 (https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/jim-clark-motor-racing-watches-of-the-60s-70s.906172/page-2) were allready a discussion was started about the topic, if there really was a Jim Clark Gallet. A "proof", except for the shown letter of the mechanic, wasn't given.

Given the lack of facts I state the hyptothesis that maybe someone was a bit more creative in his memories and this alternative truth became real. As I said, just a hypthesis and I am more than happy to discuss this, based on facts (I read about a letter from Gallet, but it was nowhere shown, same with a letter from a letter of the family).

Nico

9. Joe_A Nov 20, 2021

A reasonable person would agree that, when there are a handful of 'genuine' un-doctored photographs that exist showing a person wearing a particular watch, the person did indeed wear a particular watch. If we find such a watch with an inscription on the back, that's a nice bit of additional provenance.

The next proposition is more challenging.

How do we prove that someone never wore a particular watch? Does lack of photographic evidence actually prove anything other than that there isn't photographic evidence?

How do we know that Jim Clark didn't also own and wear a Longines watch or a Smiths watch that he liked to wear only while dining privately with with friends and loved ones? Did he have a deal to promote watches given to him by sponsors? If he did, did he try to avoid being photographed wearing other watches? What watch did he wear around the house?

It's not impossible to prove a negative using logic, but it does take some effort and there will always some doubt.

I don't lose any sleep pondering answers to such questions. ;)

The folks at Gallet tell me that the Carlini story is a true story. Why do some people not want to accept the evidence that appears to exist? What would be the motive? Is there any evidence that the Jim Clark Estate and Trust has objected to Gallet using the connection in their product advertising?

One wonders: would the JC Trust object if Timex advertised the "Jim Clark" Timex watch?

I own five vintage Gallet Multichron watches and the least attractive to my eye is my "Jim Clark" MC-12H. It's too busy.

But if I should sell it one day and if I should get a bit extra for it because of a widely circulated association with the type and with Jim Clark, who am I to complain?

JPA-Collection-as-of-110121.jpg

I also own a 1916 Gallet Electa.

I think Jim Clark's dad may have worn one of those. ;)

Nico knows I am very fond of my Enicar watches as well.

And now I feel a pressure to find a gray and white!

Cheers,

Joe

Edit: It would be helpful for those who appreciate Gallet if there were photographic evidence of Jim Clark wearing a Gallet MC-12H though! I do not think it unreasonable to have doubt.

Edited Nov 20, 2021
    JimJupiter likes this.
  10. JimJupiter Nov 21, 2021

The motive is easy. To sell more watches. Isn't there also the story that Rolex still is telling Edmund Hillary was wearing a Rolex when he was on the top of Mt. Everest. In truth he was wearing a Smiths watch. A very good article on that topic you can find here: https://www.outdoorjournal.com/feat...verest-in-1953-putting-a-controversy-to-rest/

Again, I just put it up for discussion as a hypothesis. But since the WUS post from 2013 we don't have seen more "proof" than the letter. I am honest, I am suspicous ;)

@Joe_A Have you talked to Gallet, or did they provide any documents? Should be easy, if there was a business relation between the company and Clark I suppose.

Cheers Nico

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  11. Joe_A Nov 21, 2021

The thought process I wished to stimulate was contained within the quote above, but I did not articulate it clearly enough. My bad.

Notice I used the word "appears" and that I did not include Gallet within the two questions.

I meant for the question to be taken rhetorically and to be applied more broadly.

The people who are the loudest in suggesting that there may not be any connection between Jim Clark and the Gallet MC-12H . . . are hobbyists and watch enthusiasts. Do the "pros" care? I haven't seen a scholarly article on the subject. The Breitling 806 folks seem content to stay away from such a small controversy.

I agree that the current incarnation of Gallet is using the connection to sell a pedigree with the intent to sell watches. It is in the interest of this very small, living, breathing and struggling firm to promote the connection.

Would anyone wish the present Gallet to cease to exist? They appear to own what few spares exist for the vintage watches. What harm does it cause for them to promote a connection where there is at least some evidence of such connection? Has anyone proven that the Carlini letter is a fraud? Does it lower the value of vintage Enicar and vintage Breitling watches when someone promotes a connection between Jim Clark and Gallet?

I have not seen evidence myself first-hand Nico. I have had telephone conversations with two people at Gallet and during the conversations, I did not think to ask for permission to publicly discuss the content of these conversations. Even if I were to share what was discussed, I'd only be repeating what I had heard during the conversations.

Concerning Jim Clark, we should be OK with a statement that, as far as any photographic evidence is concerned, we can only be sure that he wore two references of Enicar Sherpa Graph watches and the Breitling 806 Twin Jet reference.

Photographic evidence seems to be among the best evidence we have as to what celebrity wore what watch. But we should consider other types of evidence as well.

12. JimJupiter Nov 21, 2021

@Joe_A sorry if I understood something wrong, you know English is not my mother tongue :)

All good, I just like to discuss things based on facts and as much info as it’s possible to get.
    It’s a bit disappointing there isn’t really much in the case of the Gallet ;)

And no, the 806 or Sherpa Graph is not affected by this, but personally I just hate when something illogical is repeated without questioning and after years probably becomes „truth“.

Let‘s just state it as „questionable“ until further proof ;)

Nico

13. MRC Nov 21, 2021

I have corresponded and talked on the phone with Ian Scott-Watson a friend of Jim Clark so I could get in touch, but he is now 91 years old and I am not going to press him. I also know one of the mechanics for Team Lotus in the mid-1960s and I know he is interested in watches having recently sold a Heuer Autavia he had owned from those days, he may know some of the earlier mechanics to ask them.

There is wristwatch on display in the Jim Clark Museum, but the photo on their website is far too low-res see what it is. It does resemble a watch he is wearing after winning a race in a Lotus 18, so most likely 1960 or '61, but that cabinet could well be merchandise for sale....

Joe_A and JimJupiter like this.
  14. High Hope Nov 21, 2021

It is interesting to know that some of the greatest race drivers were also watch lovers. This thread about Jim Clark is news to me and fascinating. It would be great if someone with more knowledge than I would start a compilation of drivers wearing beautiful watches, and the stories behind some of the relationships.

I bought the "new" Heuer Autavia and enjoy the Jochen Rindt connection. In doing a bit of research I learned that a) his wife was a beauty, and b) his fatal crash was horribly gruesome. Paul Newman, probably wearing his Daytona, finished second in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1979. He was a real race driver, not another Hollywood celebrity with an expensive gold Rolex.

Those drivers were some of the best the world has ever seen, and their appreciation of watches is intriguing.

[​IMG]

Edited Nov 21, 2021
    Joe_A, JimJupiter and RI Omega Fan like this.