Forums Latest Members

JE: s watch chronicle 2014 (update)

1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 27, 2014

Once again it is time to look back on my watch adventures during the past year and to sum up things. I have done this on local sites for quite some years now but this is the second year here on OF. It is my way of keeping track of my direction within the hobby, maybe a reality check – and of course – yet another opportunity to flaunt my watches in public. As usual I do beg, in advance, for some slack when it comes to expressing myself in English.
    If anyone is interested in the big picture – here are links to previous years. Last years OF and some Swedish ones – pictures are a global language so it might work – among us nerds:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/je-s-watch-chronicle-2013.8907/

Same in Swedish but with a lot more photos
    http://www.timetotalk.se/timetotalk/je-s-arskronika-2013-t10571.html?hilit=2013 JE constellation#p48581

and one for 2012
    http://www.timetotalk.se/post13196.html?hilit=

Let me start by directing a big thank you to the founders and moderators of OF. I have been into this hobby for some years now and this is the nicest, most rewarding site I know of. The atmosphere here is perfect. Keep up the good work. This is an oasis in my life. Thank you!

This year has been challenging. Things outside the hobby has taken a lot of time and I have been away from watches in periods. Almost all these “worldly” things are positive but never the less they have been time consuming. Bought a new summer house (an old rural school from 1865, 400 square meters), turned 50, got married, sold the boat (1929 Chris Craft), put in long hours at work, etc. Watches have been there all the time – daydreaming material, researching, and the reward of the quest itself. A way to keep sanity and restore batteries. Not my busiest watch year but there has been some small action during the 2014 and here it is:

JE: s watch chronicle 2014

In January a good friend of mine asked me if I would be interested in his Certina DS-2 Super PH1000M. In wonderful condition. He had one term though. I had to take a DS-3 PH200M also. Oh… what a dread…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In February another good watch fellow was moving some watches to make room for new ones. This Seiko 6138-8020 from 1974 – “Panda” - wanted to come home with me and who am I to refuse such a nice and friendly animal?

[​IMG]

In May I traded my silver surfer speedy (aka The Mutt) for a Grand Seiko SBGX061. The Mutt was a really nice watch but since I bought my Speedyorite last year The Mutt almost never got used.

Gone
    [​IMG]
    Coming in
    [​IMG]

The summer was spent at the new summer house – doing things you do at such, i e to work. One task was building an insulated workshop inside the separate 100 square meter garage. I have had this titanium Omega chronograph some years now so it is not new – but it deserves a mention for being my beater during construction work, cigar smoking, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In July I finally got my hand on a really nice Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox. I had been trying for quite some time but until this one surfaced they were all too polished, had too damaged dials, or something else I did not like. This one though – is as good as they get. I had worked its owner for a long time and he finally caved in. I am forever in his debt (even if I paid a good sum for it)…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also in July. The newly built workshop at the summer house needed a watch on the wall. I turned to Seiko: s line of quartz with “floating” second hand. Recommended.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the beginning of October my annual crayfish and watches party was held and as usual watches changed hand. One participant fell in love with my Nivada Led (Hughs aircraft industries module) from circa 1975 and I had to part with it.
    Gone
    [​IMG]

After hours of crayfish eating I was intoxicated enough to give away my Sinn GSG9 to my brother. Hmm…alcohol and watches. He was the only “innocent” participant at the party – not at all interested in watches. Well I gave him the Sinn and I hope this is “first blood” and that other watches will follow.
    [​IMG]

Since that pic just do not give the Sinn GSG9 justice - here is one from this watch former owner:

[​IMG]

In the end of October the Grand Seiko mentioned earlier was sold. It was a beautiful watch but when it comes to quartz I always come back to my Seiko Superior. I am a vintage watch guy and if something was done to perfection earlier – I prefer the old one before the new.

Nice quartz watch but...
    [​IMG]
    This old quartz is Superior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In November things started to warm up watchwise and it coincided with a period of relative calmness at work. This gave me time to really dig in at auctions. One of our Swedish auction houses had some really nice watches and my focus was set on three of them. Auction day came and I decided to be there live for the event. I wanted a really nice, probably unpolished, 168.005, 18k, Constellation – sharp edges and perfect dial. There was also a Enicar Sherpa OPS diver - in better shape than what the pictures told (always better to see watches live when judging what to pay). Finally - a Zenith Victorious with original strap and buckle, still with some purple delivery goo on the back. Looks almost NOS.

They all came my way. Here in Sweden (and maybe also elsewhere) almost everyone believes I overpaid for the Connie at the equivalent of 2800 USD. I believe in condition, condition, condition and the passing of time. I was considered a fool when I bought my rose/pink 14381 Connie a couple of years ago. For a lot less. When it comes to these things, though, I could not care less what others think or say. I am collector. I do not buy watches to sell them. I want the best possible watch condition I can afford.
    Here are pictures from the auctions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took the Connie and the Enicar straight to my watchmaker and as usual I took care of the cases myself. Just some ultrasonic cleaning:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Enicar is still at my watchmaker but the Connie has come home:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Victorious will get a service also but I could not part with them all at once...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I might have forgotten some watches but nothing really important.

My first and main wish for 2015 is to find a stainless 168.005 Constellation with a sharp case – for my NOS black pie pan dial. It would be wonderful to have one silver-white (check)
    [​IMG]

and one black (half check).

[​IMG]

My second wish for 2015 is a Universal Genève Polerouter Sub of the first version/execution. Third place and onwards are occupied by more realistic wishes – like world peace, etc…

My collection seems to have stabilized at around 50-55 watches. I use them all as much as I can – sometimes changing for another up to three times a day.

How have your 2014 been?

Edited Dec 27, 2014
    lando, UncleBuck, Hijak and 8 others like this.
  2. khmt2 Dec 27, 2014

What a year! The Connie's a stunner alright, but I'm mesmerized by the DS2! ::love:: Dibs!

3. ulackfocus Dec 27, 2014

That's a good year! :thumbsup:

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 27, 2014

Love the Connies in particular, great way to end the year

5. cristos71 Dec 27, 2014

Great report and looks to have been a productive year on all fronts :)

Keep up the good work! I'm already looking forward to the 2015 report and before that of course the mouth watering pictures of the next crayfish feast!

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 27, 2014

I still can't get over you having sold the boat

7. repoman Dec 28, 2014

Thank you for sharing your 2014 adventures with us. That Connie is serious eye candy. I can't imagine having 55 watches in which you actually do wear all of them regularly!

8. PEIslander Dec 28, 2014

Do you do mentorships?

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 29, 2014

It is not over until it is over...
    I missed out on a Zenith A3635 divers watch the other day and it felt a little empty afterwards. A good friend, a swede, who lives in Japan but is back in Sweden for the holidays - took pity in me and sold me his 90/01.0500.400 today.
    I think this is my last watch action this year. I have had my eyes on one of these for some time. I believe they are future classics.

My friends pictures with his permission:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Dec 29, 2014
  10. khmt2 Dec 29, 2014

Nice last catch for the year! The Zenith has a real vintage look to it!

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 29, 2014

Nice Zenith!

12. Hijak Dec 29, 2014

Wow, beautiful!::love::