Forums Latest Members

JE: S Watch Chronicle 2013

1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 4, 2013

I had some problems in publishing this article. Too many pictures it says. I hope the moderators can clean up my mess. The title should not have "part 1" any more as I succeded to edit it down to fit the format. And of course there is no part 2.

Sorry!

And on to what I intended.

I suspect I am not getting any more watches this year so I decided to go for a watch report of 2013. I am apologizing if my English is off or odd, but I presume most of you speak even worse Swedish…JE: s watch chronicle 2013

Sometimes you just need to view things a little from the side. To get the big picture. When caught up in the heat of the moment, during the hunt and the subsequent “kill” – you just do not see things clear. I have done watch chronicles for some years on Swedish watch nerd sites and it is almost therapeutically for me. To get closure.

January

Before

[​IMG]

Afterwards

[​IMG]

Together with some close relatives

[​IMG]

Also in January – yet another Seiko ”Cpt Willard” Diver. Yes, I now had two of these

[​IMG]

Bought this one to get the crown. So now I have a nice cheap watch with a shot dial – or a expensive crown and some spare parts…

[​IMG]

This came in the beginning of the year. My beater Connie. It does however not hold water that well so I often use it together with my old Sea-Dweller. It does hurt the gold case but what the heck – it is just an old Omega.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes it gets to rest – hanging out with the other pink and girly watches in my possesion

[​IMG]

On another note – in March this HAQ (high accuracy quartz) Seiko Superior from 1977 came in my way. When new it was Seiko: s most expensive steel watch. Twice the price of a Grand Seiko. Makes a normal quartz watch look really bad accuracy wise. Not to talk about normal COSC… Blaha blaha..yada yada…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LED Nivada Quartzonic. Module made by Hughes Aircraft Company and extremely modern for its time (mid seventies). I think it came to me in March.

[​IMG]

During spring I got a little restless and decided to sell off some doublets. First out was the doublet “Cpt Willard” mentioned earlier. Then a steel Connie 168.005, one steel Zenith Captain and one Captain in gold. The left ones in the following pictures (left Connie and the two left Captains).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In May this beautiful Grand Seiko Special was bought. ”Special” is just telling it is a tuned version. A little more finesse and accuracy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Modified a modern clasp with some old parts and got the best of two worlds. A special set up for a really special Seiko Special.

[​IMG]

Bought as a donor – but when it arrived it was in great shape. What a distress – I have to continue my hunt for a donor for my NOS case and dial.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even if it was no doublet my 14060M was sold. It was just too close to my Sea-Dweller and I was starting to get jealous. Or – I always reached for the SD and this one was left behind. Now it is someone else’s pride and joy.

[​IMG]

Bought and sold this Speedy Pro within days. Found at a fair at a very nice price and sold to a friend for almost the same. I just cannot walk by when seing a good watch being neglected.

[​IMG]

My trusted Explorer got a needed service in the beginning of the summer.

[​IMG]

In June I just had to have a white Explorer II. I really do not feel the need to explain why… so now I have the triple crown – an Explorer “I”, and two Explorer II: s – one white and one black. I am sick – I know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During summer I also bought one more Underwood box. Making them four now. That does not show in this picture. I have not taken a new pic of them all together. So now there is room for 40 watches... Which means I still need to buy one more box.

[​IMG]

Further during the summer I bought this 5513. But surprise, surprise – I still reached for the Sea-Dweller every time. So I sold it again. It also had some issues…

[​IMG]

Just when leaving for vacation I got my 1000m back from service. It then served sea duty for a month. It did not leak. Neither did the boat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In August I got this nice late model Globemaster. A nice addition to the vintage Omega part of my collection.

[​IMG]

Somewhere here in time a relative asked which watch he should buy – to cope with his lifestyle (hands on IRC catastrophe work). So I sold him my Seamaster Pro Ti. It has since then travelled the world and it is just as discrete and rugged as expected. He uses it on a rubber strap as I did.

[​IMG]

In September I bought this relatively modern Connie for my girlfriend. Since the pictures were taken it has been serviced and polished. At 38mm it is a big watch and in the end she and it did not hit it off. So now I use it sometimes. Could be sold if there is interest.

[​IMG]

One more September watch. Bought at auction and the pictures were bad. When the watch arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The dial is in fantastic condition. A Seamaster Chronometre….nice…precioussssss

[​IMG]

October was Speedy bastard time. All Omega but put together “freestyle”. A beautiful watch and it sort of proves ”dogs” of different breeds often get healthier cubs than show dogs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These two went out the door in a trade for the silver Speedy. A mint Comic 2000 and a Grand Seiko.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In my forever ongoing quest of setting my girlfriend up with watches I would like her to wear – I got her this midsize Seamaster Pro automatic and had it serviced. This one she really likes and she wears it on a Bonetto Cinturini rubber strap. I actually do not have any pics of it other than the sellers (Kaplans auctions).
    [​IMG]

Sold my ”keeper” oysterquartz. Why? Because I have a much cooler quartz in the Seiko Superior
    some watches above.

[​IMG]

Then the Speedyorite came in to my life. Overpriced when new in 2010 - I now got a good deal on one. I am not too keen on Omega LE Speedy Pro: s but this one is really nice. The dial is pure magic in the sunlight and it is impossible to photograph (within my skills anyway).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came the story about selling my 16713. I am already regretting that. And I am going to keep on regretting it. Sometimes you just do dumb things.

[​IMG]

Well that was my watch year. This is the short version but I think you get the picture. If you want the full version, with all pictures and you do not mind some Swedish subtitles - have a look here:
    http://www.timetotalk.se/timetotalk...571.html?sid=5dbe75fc1936f37ab7cba3976be8ee7a

A lot happened and looking at it as a whole I am satisfied with the activities.

Hey – I forgot some things..
    When taking the boat out of the water during fall I got to talk with one of the old guys at the dock. He had an old watch. Now I have it. It takes a lot of love to get a watch to look like this. You have to love it every day and in every way. I hope I can love it together and in shape again. Maybe it can soften the regret of selling the 16713 TT GMT Master II?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey I just remembered one more…

[​IMG]

And this one – a Rolex AD box came into my life and was presented to the public in February.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 4, 2013

Failed post. Please remove. Sorry (again)

3. ulackfocus Dec 4, 2013

So you're saying you have a Speedmaster Mutt. I like it!

I couldn't sell that. Rootbeers are my favorite Oyster cased model.

Nice recap!

4. rhetoric Dec 4, 2013

Great report! Really interesting Thanks for sharing it. .

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 4, 2013

Thanks for sharing JE. Nice year you are having. But selling the rootbeer...:whipped:

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 4, 2013

Works for me :thumbsup:

7. marturx Dec 5, 2013

Much appreciated JE!

As a matter of fact, your beat up Rootbeer from the boat club served as a great inspiration to me. Before I saw it, I hadn´t been interested in that model. But after you presented it, I felt that I must have one, so I start looking.

It arrived this week:

16753, wrist.jpg

cicindela likes this.
  8. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Dec 5, 2013

I have a sad now.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 5, 2013

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Two thumbs up for your collection JE.
    Always drooling ::love:: looking at your Zenith Captains...

10. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

I have befuselment over why you have a sad now. ::confused2::

11. ThLam Dec 5, 2013

Wow! what a nice collection. Thanks for sharing

12. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Dec 5, 2013

incredible huge collection, nice report. Congrats

13. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Dec 5, 2013

I was blissfully unaware of how much I wanted styggpyggeno1's collection until I saw his pics. What is known cannot be unknown.

14. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

Gotcha.

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 5, 2013

Not being able to get his collection, I would settle for his photographic skills...oh, and the boat. :)

16. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 5, 2013

Thank you guys! A note though - my collection you have not seen. This was the activity för 2013. ;)
    Oh - how cocky that was/sounded..! SOTC comes later and there are some guys here that should start working on theirs now... LouS, etc. Come out of the shadows...

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2013

Ahh, Rootbeer days.

Root1.jpg Root7.jpg

18. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

Don't worry, you're among similar collectors. I'd bet a good percentage of us have the same or more activity per year, and a lot more watches in our own collections. The 2013 EOY SOTC thread is due soon.

19. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 5, 2013

Nice! Something puzzles me though... Is that a saphire conversion? Never seen sharp edges on a plastic crystal Rolex?

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2013

I believe it is plastic. Feels like plastic, but edge is beveled. I will investigate further when next I am at the local Rolex shop