Forums Latest Members

"Japan Racing" on ebay, be careful

1. kidkimura Jan 15, 2020

Oh hey friends. I see we all landed on this watch and wondered what might be going on. I decided to take a flyer with PayPal protection. Looks like it might have worked out, now that I read the thread. BUT you’ll be happy (or sad) to know the seller cancelled the sale on this one. A shame, tbh.

2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 15, 2020

Ugh, that stinks. Did they give a reason? Hopefully nobody reading this thread reached out to the seller offering more...:cautious:

3. sgrossma Jan 15, 2020

Wow, that stinks. Well...I promise it wasn't me! I've fallen into a deep depression ever since I missed this one due to my [incorrect] knowledge.

Be sure to give them negative feedback...

Edited Jan 15, 2020
  4. Kmart Jan 15, 2020

Such a scummy practice. I'm not sure what's worse, the buyer who sends offers after the auction has ended or the seller who cancels the sale. Seems to be standard practice when it comes to vintage watches though...

I have a lot of respect for sellers who honor their original deal, regardless of any higher offers they receive afterwards.

Lonestar and Albe100 like this.
  5. kidkimura Jan 15, 2020

no worries! Seems to be a standard practice nowadays, so I’m not sweating it.

I think if they cancel the sale for “damaged or out of stock” you don’t get a chance to give feedback. ::puke::

6. Kmart Jan 15, 2020

Really? That's absurd. So anytime a dealer gets an auction result they don't like they can just say "Whoops, it's actually out of stock, better luck next time!"?

7. sgrossma Jan 15, 2020

Out of curiosity - did you pay in full first? And then you were refunded and the transaction cancelled? Or it was cancelled prior?

8. kidkimura Jan 15, 2020

Paid in full. Then refunded and cancelled.

9. fbf Jan 16, 2020

Wasn’t me ... had the same bs happening to me a few times . Stinks

10. janice&fred Jan 16, 2020

so you publicly dump on the guys watch declaring it questionable, he decides to do whatever he wants with the watch as it's his, it turns out to be legit, and now you want to stick it to him again? it's not his fault. you could have bought it back when you first seen it but didn't know what you were looking at.

11. sgrossma Jan 16, 2020

Lol, what??!
    Among collectors, it’s fairly common knowledge that only 7712 or 7713 is correct for Japan Racing. 7708 is a bit odd/rare for the reference and I was merely putting out a public advisory to proceed with caution as this was lesser known and I don’t have access to omega intranet for verification as other do.
    Not to mention it was priced nearly $5000 below it’s market value.
    While I was sad that I didn’t buy it initially, I was also happy for whoever did.
    And finally, it turns out at least some of my reservations about the seller were right as he cancelled a genuine sale when he found out it was worth more, which is a bit dishonest, but mistakes do happen. As always, a 2 minute google search could have informed the seller about the watches value and he has enough feedback to demonstrate he knows how.
    So I believe your comment is uncalled for.
    Maybe next time I won’t try to help out the community.

12. janice&fred Jan 16, 2020

you sure it was "a bit dishonest"? if you were confident it was genuine when you first spotted it would you have informed him of it's value, or kept your mouth shut and paid for it? the sword cuts both ways and while I admit i would have kept my mouth shut and paid for it, I can't fault the seller for cancelling the offering once he was tipped off by yours and other inquiries that he had something special. that's life.

13. sgrossma Jan 16, 2020

Yes, I’m completely sure that cancelling a sale after payment is made is a bit dishonest.

I don’t believe finding something below market is dishonest. He has an ask, others have an offer, and a deal is made. Nobody was tricked or misinformed. His feedback alone demonstrates he is a knowledgable seller, capable of researching the reference and determining a value.

If I was confident I would have bought it, but I genuinely believed something was off so I was trying to help out. I feel more duty to call out something as being not genuine than I do to correct someone’s below market pricing, as this is more of subjective matter anyway.

14. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2020

I have also seen 7711 and confirmed it as a Japan.

Lonestar and sgrossma like this.
  15. janice&fred Jan 16, 2020

except for when you're wrong and missed out. :D

16. sgrossma Jan 16, 2020

You’re literally not making sense. I both saw it and called it out hours before a sale was made. If I cared enough to buy it I would have.

You go ahead and continue being a troll, I won’t comment further.
    All the best,
    Scott

janice&fred likes this.
  17. janice&fred Jan 16, 2020

and the same could be said about your post count on an omega discussion forum. the seller made a mistake on value, and you made a mistake on authenticity. however in this situation it appears you "drew first blood" by spreading suspicion on a legit watch. you didn't get the home-run deal and neither did the member that tried. you can't win them all. that's life. :D

18. kidkimura Jan 16, 2020

19. sgrossma Jan 16, 2020

Well that is very interesting. Same seller and turns out that they are a watch dealer... [edit] I guess we knew that, nevermind.

20. w154 Jan 16, 2020

Says it’s sold too...