Issues servicing my 145.022 through Omega Certified Watchmaker

The watchmaker said: "Well, do you expect a 50-year-old watch to run at factory specs? Not possible!" I am hoping he's wrong.

He is.

Given that (if I read this correctly) he had two chances of fixing it and couldnt, and seemed to have done something completely unrelated instead (replace the main spring), might it be a good idea to approach Omega with this? Politely tell the story, mention that you've lost your confidence in the abilities of said watchmaker and ask if there is another way, have Omega fix it, for example? I'd assume the service bill might make them cooperative.

I don't know, people make mistakes and all, but since he seems to be overwhelmed by the watch, it might be a good idea to have somebody else fix this. Yes, you know now what the issue is and that'll make it easier for the WM, but I'd be left wondering what else there is he might have done half-heartedly. Am I being too harsh?

If the OP takes the watch to Omega, they will fix it, and do a full service, with the full charge for that.

If we knew where the OP was located, we might be able to suggest other alternatives.

On the watchmaker who has now had 2 shots and hasn't done it right, I don't think you are being too harsh...ensuring that hands clear is very basic stuff. It shows at a minimum that insufficient testing was done after the service was completed.

If the OP takes the watch to Omega, they will fix it, and do a full service, with the full charge for that.

If we knew where the OP was located, we might be able to suggest other alternatives.

On the watchmaker who has now had 2 shots and hasn't done it right, I don't think you are being too harsh...ensuring that hands clear is very basic stuff. It shows at a minimum that insufficient testing was done after the service was completed.

@MtV and @Archer
Thanks for this. Maybe it does make sense to not visit him a third time. Is it worth asking for a refund in this case before I move on to another watchmaker? Or is it normally not the case that refunds are given when it comes to watch servicing? I am willing to see this as a somewhat expensive lesson...

Also, I have a question for @Archer: I'm seeing that the watch is continuously running since the hour hand is on the other side of the running seconds subdial (the time here is 1:45 PM). But it's still running quite slow - back to around -75 SPD. If the watchmaker's timegrapher is telling him that the watch is running according to Omega's specs (+/- 10 SPD?) shouldn't I see better time keeping when the hour hand is not interfering with the running seconds hand?

Thanks again,
Charlie

Well, if it is still running slow, then that is a sign of more issues, certainly. In terms of getting a refund, there's no universal rule here, so it would depend on what the watchmaker is willing to do. But it's definitely worth asking.

I'm disappointed that the watchmaker didn't test the watch more thoroughly. Such an important part of the process.

If this kind of thing is driving you crazy, another option is to sell the watch and buy a modern one. In any event, if you are going to collect more vintage watches you need to find a better watchmaker