Forums Latest Members
  1. Kafue Feb 2, 2020

Hi All,

I have a passion for vintage watches & Omega's is top of my list along with Ulysses Nardin & Rolex.
    I have recently been able to purchase a few great watches of various brands at Online Auctions.
    With the exception of one online auction, all my purchases have been very satisfying.
    The one that was not a good result was a local auction that had the Omega watch image I have posted. The images of the watch were done in such a way that I thought I was purchasing a Gents Vintage Rose Gold Omega. I did not have the time to inspect the watch in person. The description of the watch did not mention it was a ladies watch, so I assumed that like many of the other watches on auction, that it was a Gents. When I went to collect the watch I realised it was a Ladies watch & refused to accept it. The auctioneer insisted it was "Uni-Sex" which is ridiculous. They refused to refund the purchase. I have not taken delivery of the watch & the auctioneers still have it at their warehouse. They refuse to allow me to photograph it. All images of the watch have been removed from their website. The only image I have is the one posted here. They describe it as a Seamaster.
    Is it a Seamaster or is it impossible to tell from one image? Many thanks for any expert opinions. Cheers,

Omega Seam1.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 2, 2020

Hi -

No, it is not a Seamaster.

FYI, watches of this vintage (1940s) are typically much smaller than what would be considered men's watches today, plenty of 28-30mm Omega watches cataloged as men's watches during this time.

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 2, 2020

Not a Seamaster, because it would be labeled as such.

Why do you think it's a lady's watch? It is common for watches of that era to be smaller than today. This one looks like it might be 34mm diameter.

Tom

Benbradstock and Kafue like this.
  4. Waltesefalcon Feb 2, 2020

There is no trace of on the dial of it ever having said Seamaster and the case looks pretty worn. I agree with the above though, it looks like a man's watch.

Kafue likes this.
  5. Dan S Feb 2, 2020

Not a Seamaster, but an old man's dress watch in rough condition. The case appears to be gold, so it has some value, and given the condition I assume you didn't pay very much. At auctions, you win some and you lose some.

Benbradstock and Kafue like this.
  6. Kafue Feb 2, 2020

Thank You All for your response!
    The Auction House has only advertised the following on their description:
    "Vintage 9 Carat Rose Gold Highly Collectable Omega Seamaster Watch"
    The comments from you, as experts, that the watch is not a Seamaster are very important as the auctioneers are saying that I should have inspected the watch in person, plus state it is "Uni-Sex" & is Seamaster & therefore I "Must take it as a Done Deal". It is not so much the money I paid, just the principal that I know/they know, they GOT me.
    I do not like being Got!
    To answer a few questions: I understand that many of the watches of this era are much smaller than the current Gents watches. I have a strong preference for watches that can be or are recognised as Gents or at worst "mid-size" due to the fact that the ladies watches rarely carry the same appeal as the mens watches. For example, I have a Rolex Bubble Back which is 30mm in Pink Gold & in almost perfect order (runs fast) & that is acceptable as it still has impact. I have had this watch for decades, will never part with it. Whereas watches smaller than this are generally not so special

IMG_2991.JPG
  7. Kafue Feb 2, 2020

Agreed: "Win some lose Some" Absolutely!
    It is not the losing, which comes from taking on venturing.
    It is in being "taken" that I will not abide. Have had a few wins. Few losses. The point being I try to buy for love/like, so the losses are made up for in the wearing & sharing with my Family & Sons.

8. Kafue Feb 2, 2020

Thank you!

9. Kafue Feb 2, 2020

Thank you!

10. Kafue Feb 2, 2020

Thank you!

11. Kafue Feb 2, 2020

Thank you!

12. Kafue Feb 2, 2020

Thank you!

13. Rochete Feb 3, 2020

Watch is grossly misdescribed, it is NOT a Seamaster, so you probably have a case.

Syrte and Kafue like this.
  14. bardamu Feb 3, 2020

I somehow have doubts on that case being actually an Omega case, I'd like to see the inside caseback.

Kafue likes this.
  15. Kafue Feb 3, 2020

I need to find an Omega expert in my region who can join me & go to this auction house & view the watch & also open the back to inspect the mechanism.

16. Dan S Feb 3, 2020

Even if the case doesn’t say Omega, it doesn’t prove anything. Many Omega watches were cased nationally. I doubt you’ll find anything other than an Omega movement inside. If you’re really determined to void the sale, your best bet is to focus on the Seamaster claim. If they actually listed the watch that way, it’s demonstrably false.

17. Kafue Feb 3, 2020

Spot on. That is exactly what I have been trying to prove. This is the only auction house that has gone to great lengths to not only, (let's be polite)..."muddy the waters", but then also has not been open to any discussion at all. They do not care, simple as that. This makes it even more clear to me that I have been misled & as you say, my only bargaining chip is the "Seamaster" issue because they stated this very clearly in their advertising.

18. JwRosenthal Feb 3, 2020

i agree with Dan, if you are hot to dump this turd, then the Seamaster claim is your best bet- but I have to ask, why did you buy it? It’s not in good condition, the case has been polished within an inch of its life, and if this was the only pic of the watch- then I don’t get why you would have thought it was a Seamaster if you had done any homework prior to purchase.
    I agree, it sucks to feel duped, but you are asking here after you got taken rather than asking before the auction so you could have avoided this whole hassle.
    I hope it goes in your favor, and if you paid with PayPal or a credit card, you can simply dispute the charges if they don’t refund you.
    In the future, ask here first. We are a helpful bunch although some bristly at times and would rather help you avoid a mistake than offer advise on how you can dig yourself out of a hole.

19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 3, 2020

Personally, if the auction catalog had numerous pictures, you're hosed. Many of them expect you to do your due diligence.

But, I might be wrong, so good luck.

Tom

janice&fred likes this.
  20. Kafue Feb 3, 2020

Cannot disagree with anything you have written except this: I used VISA to pay for this watch. As previously stated, as soon as I inspected the watch (they would not allow me to take the watch over the counter until I had paid!), so the moment I saw the watch in person, I refused to accept it. Went directly to my bank & disputed the transaction. This resulted in my VISA having to be cancelled until new cards could be issued to my wife & I. In the meantime the "Dispute Process" was begun. I am now having an impossible argument with both my bank & VISA. They are saying that because I refused to take the watch, have not got it in my possession, then they will not take any action. I am not accepting this. So there is fight number 2.
    As for the reasons I didn't do my due diligence?!?
    Seriously, I have a very focused, even obsessive streak usually. Sometimes I will spend months studying one watch or weeks in Hong Kong or Singapore etc. visiting dozens of watch shops to study the precise detail of the watches I want, then negotiating the best price & love the process. Having said that, I also can be very impulsive when I see something unusual (who isn't!) Not that this was special in any way!
    I had just done a great deal of research into 8 great watches I bought from Sotheby's in London & Antiquorum in HK so my excuse to myself is, I was tired & stupid. Very STUPID!

janice&fred likes this.