Is this Vintage Omega Seamaster worth it?

Hi, I'm new into Vintage watches and this particular model caught my eye. I assume it uses the Cal.1022 looking the automatic text located under the Omega logo. I would also like to ask if the movement has any problem or design flaws. The watch is priced at around 820 usd.

I have an Omega day/date with the same movement. This model was produced during the last days of Omega as a manufacturer. The feeling amongst a lot of Omega collectors is that they don’t like this series of movements. But in good condition, they perform well, and I don’t know of any particular weakness in them.

One thing to bear in mind is the subject watch has a bracelet that will be difficult/impossible to replace. A standard 18, 19, or 20 mm wide bracelet end will not fit that case. Might be a factor some time in the future.

Like 1
Compared to the previous Omega automatic movements, the 10xx is the first series with 28800 bph. It's also thinner. To make it thin, it deviates from the traditional design/arrangement, and some of the components are not as robust as, for example, the 5xx series. Cosmetically, the movement is not as decorated with somewhat a plain look.

Like 1
Even if the dial is original, which we can't tell from the photo, it's not worth anywhere near $820.00. These are not particularly collectable watches with a limited audience.

Also make sure the bracelet is long enough to accommodate your wrist size.

Like 2
[
Compared to the previous Omega automatic movements, the 10xx is the first series with 28800 bph. It's also thinner. To make it thin, it deviates from the traditional design/arrangement, and some of the components are not as robust as, for example, the 5xx series. Cosmetically, the movement is not as decorated with somewhat a plain look.
Is the movement known for breaking down? I'm just in love with the design. Or is there a model equipped with a better movement while keeping the same design?

[

Is the movement known for breaking down? I'm just in love with the design. Or is there a model equipped with a better movement while keeping the same design?

I think the remark is about the price. Omega movements, even the less popular ones are robust and well made. Some cost cutting was done in the 1980s. As noted efforts were made to make things thinner. So the finish is not as nice. Serial numbers are often on a sticker rather than engraved. Quartz was on the horizon, so it is in a lot of ways more like the early quartz movements.

If you wait long enough, you should find an example at half or 1/4 that price. These watches were mass produced, so there are a lot of them out in the wild.

Someone may find that the price does not bother them. Not a collector or an investor. This is the sort of watch that one has to truly love. Or they will find that it is a learning experience. It is not the sort of watch that one can trade or redeem to pay an unexpected bill. It will probably remain worth half the value. And would take a long time to sell.

One thing to also watch out for is the 1970s and 1980s were rampant with fakes. So it takes a good eye to feel them out.

stick around, make an avatar, and read the learn how to fish pined at the top of the vintage forum.

Like 1
[

Relative to its predecessors, this caliber series was thinner with a higher beat rate. From my understanding, this was made possible with thinner and thus less robust components coupled with the use of synthetic lubricants. Consequently this caliber series was subject to more wear and tear than its predecessors. This was further aggravated as the movement often continued to operate despite wearing itself out because the synthetic lubricants often degraded without leaving a residue that would normally impede the movement. To answer your question, one should be more diligent in maintaining a proper service schedule with this caliber compared to its predecessors.

Like 1
[

The original plastic date advancing wheel can wear out or break after years of use. A metal replacement is available. Another delicate part is the center cannon pinion. It needs to have right amount of friction. Too loose will cause the minute and hour hands to stop intermittently, and too tight will cause the clutchwheel damage during time setting.

Like 3
The original plastic date advancing wheel can wear out or break after years of use. A metal replacement is available. Another delicate part is the center cannon pinion. It needs to have right amount of friction. Too loose will cause the minute and hour hands to stop intermittently, and too tight will cause the clutchwheel damage during time setting.
Is this a common issue with the 1020, 1022 calibers?

Plastic date rings were common in most watches from that era.

As I noted this shares manufacturing technology with the early quartz movements.

Slipping cannon pinions and roskopf offset seconds drive also was common. Mostly used in pin levers, which Omega never did. The synthetic oils are still used and reccomended. the metal alloys of most post 1980s watches require them.

A lot of watch textbooks were written closer to 200 years ago. They detail 18th and 19th century technology. Starting in the 1780s and early 1800s watches started to be mass produced, probably in the millions. Anyone who wanted a watch could have one. Realize Omega has existed for 175 years.

Whale oil has not been used since World war I.

Like 1
Please keep in mind that we are dealing with 50, 60, 70 year old mechanical pieces, there is a risk that something will be wrong or go wrong with any of these, but that doesn't keep us from owning and enjoying them. When taking on a vintage timepiece one needs to budget for the possibility that something may go wrong and for regular maintenance to reduce that possibility (inevitability perhaps) that something will.

I will say again the OPs example is not worth the asking price.

Like 3
Let is too short to bother with most Omegas from around 1975 to 1985 as many are low rent and to be honest not all that lovely. There are exceptions but not many and this ain’t one. I’ve had 10xx models and I know they have their fans but in my direct experience they are more fragile and more troublesome than what came before or indeed after so I avoid them. Yea I know this is a sweeping statement!

Like 1
I don't know how common but it's somewhat unique with the 1xxx series design. I also agree with others that US$820 is overpriced. You would probably need a service after purchase. The cost of Omega service is another $800, or a half of that if you go to an independent watchmaker. Besides, with the limitation of the integrated bracelet, you can't easily change the bracelet or use a leather band with the watch.

Like 1
It's not my cup of tea, personally, but there's nothing obviously wrong with the watch except that it's overpriced.

Like 1
I don't know how common but it's somewhat unique with the 1xxx series design. I also agree with others that US$820 is overpriced. You would probably need a service after purchase. The cost of Omega service is another $800, or a half of that if you go to an independent watchmaker. Besides, with the limitation of the integrated bracelet, you can't easily change the bracelet or use a leather band with the watch.
Is it still overpriced if its already serviced?

Is it still overpriced if its already serviced?

If you have a documented service from a respected watchmaker it adds value. If you have the word of the seller it adds nothing. I can’t tell you how many watches I’ve bought that have ‘just been serviced’ yet were dry as a bone and running terribly.

Like 1
Have you looked through this thread? I'd rather buy something here than from some random unvetted source.

https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

Be patient, far too many buyers eventually (or sometimes even immediately upon receipt) regret grabbing the first thing that catches their eye.