Forums Latest Members
  1. banders Mar 3, 2023

Hi everyone,

I posted a beautiful tri-compax here several months ago I was thinking of buying. Among lots of interesting things, I learned from this community that the price was too ridiculous to actually buy it.

Anyways, I've found a new example I'm considering buying. The price is higher than I'd like but I'm willing to pay it because it's so hard to find a good example.

I would like to know if you have any insights about this watch or see any red flags before I purchase it.
    - is the dial original/is it a service dial?
    - is the crown original?
    - anything notable about the movement?

I appreciate any feedback!

Tri Compax-1.jpg Tri Compax-2.jpg Tri Compax-3.jpg Tri Compax-4.jpg Tri Compax-5.jpg Tri Compax-6.jpg Tri Compax-7.jpg Tri Compax-7b.jpg Tri Compax-8.jpg Tri Compax-8b.jpg Tri Compax-9.jpg
  2. bgrisso Mar 3, 2023

It looks quite nice in general, I think the main question is probably price. If I were to have any complaints the case looks a bit polished and the crown is later replacement, but that would not put me off if the price was right. If the price was quite high, I might not want such a polished case.

Dan S, sdre, Timetosell and 2 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 3, 2023

Great original dial, original moon disc. Clean movement. Crown is to be expected in a watch this old … overall the only issue is the high polish ….that said, there is so much crap out there. This is a good watch but would be great if not for the buffing wheel. The original spring bar studs are there so the case is still relatively unmolested.

TexOmega and watchyouwant like this.
  4. banders Mar 3, 2023

Thanks!

What indicates the level of polish in these pictures? Still learning this stuff

5. banders Mar 3, 2023

Price is $10k btw

6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 3, 2023

Any inside case back pictures?

Larry S likes this.
  7. vintage hab Mar 3, 2023

I don't know anything about these watches, but I notice that the day and month wheels have different fonts. Is this typical?

8. timjohn Mar 3, 2023

Am I the only one who thinks there might be something off about the date ring? I’d expect it to be smaller — the 21 is hanging over the day window — and either recessed or with a circle round it.

and the minute hand extends all the way into the tachy ring…

9. TexOmega Mar 3, 2023

287, dial outstanding, MrMoon original, case 8/10 & extremely clean movement

what not to like? Hand? Maybe just right. How mine is.

Oh yeah, 10k.............you won't care 12months from now, or 5years from now.

watchyouwant likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 4, 2023

Lugs are very shiny and a bit rounded off. Caseback is also very buffed. That said the overall package is very nice.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 4, 2023

Not unusual.

vintage hab likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 4, 2023

Nothing odd here.

13. bgrisso Mar 4, 2023

this example was posted in the long reference thread about UG Tri dials. On the example below the moon phase disc and crown are replaced. It’s possible on both examples the dial is not original to the watch, but still original UG. But to determine that would require a lot of research and guesswork. I do tend to associate the non outlined non recessed date subdial examples as “later” in my mind, but I’m not sure why.

anyhow in short I think both dials are factory UG, but as always, determining if the dial started out it’s life in these particular cases is impossible.

upload_2023-3-4_7-20-41.jpeg

https://www.christies.com/salelanding/index.aspx?intsaleid=27710&lid=1&saletitle=

14. Oku Mar 4, 2023

a bit on the high side to consider this a good buy...
    (although, as a Tri-owner, I like these prices a lot...)

apart from that: The serial tells us that the watch is from approximately 1945. This is consistent with the moon disc. However, I believe the dial to be later, as it has no circle around the date.

15. theluckyluke Mar 4, 2023

Diabolik likes this.
  16. Diabolik Mar 4, 2023

spot on ...

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 4, 2023

Still a UG 40’s dial with the open 6.

TexOmega and Diabolik like this.
  18. banders Mar 4, 2023

@bgrisso that watch you posted from Christie's is the one in my profile pic

19. Diabolik Mar 4, 2023

40 to max 49 style (open 6) is common on re-issue dials. The tell tale sign is the minute counter is split in 5 min not the classic 3 mins (1/20th of an hour) as the were commonly found in the 30s and 40s. Almost all very early tri-compax moon models had minute counter split in 3 (ie 0, 3 (1/20), 6 (1/10th) etc). This dial is split in 5s which points to a later (60s) reissue. Check the "dial variats" thread ...

billving, Tempus, sdre and 3 others like this.
  20. timjohn Mar 4, 2023

I’d still like to see the OP’s example with the date set to the 1st to make sure the date ring is centred. It maybe the photos, but it looks as if it is set lower than the Christie’s example