Is this original finish or polished?

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise. I am considering purchasing this watch. Seller says it's not polished but I'm not convinced.

The side of the case with the pushers and crown looks okay to me, but the other side of the case looks not original finish to my eyes. Can anyone confirm? Thanks again.

A couple more photos. Perhaps this is Just normal use on a 20 year old watch? I'm still leaning towards polished. If so, done well?

Unless you have owned the watch from new or you otherwise have access to metallurgical analysis technology which could reveal some clues then it is difficult to know if a watch has ever been polished at some stage in what could be a long life. If you are thinking of buying it then you only need to make a judgement decision as to whether you are happy with the general condition/profile of the case. Of course any old case could have been manipulated at some stage built up/reprofiled but it is a question of taking in to account multiple factors and again making the decision set again the price as to whether you are happy to buy and own it. I don't think this answers your question really but if I were you I would compare the case to other identical model numbers and make a judgement decision. Good luck and keep safe.

Thanks for your reply jaguar11. Part of the reason I ask is (of course) original finish condition vs. Polished would affect the amount of my offer.

What you have suggested is actually what I have attempted to do prior to posting - I tried to compare this example against others and make a decision / judgement. In the end I was unsure so I am seeking help.

There are many here who have a much better eye than I do for this kind of assessment.

Any other thoughts/opinions?
Edited:

Any other thoughts/opinions?
I'm probably in the minority here but I couldn't care less if a watch has had a light polish as long it's been looked after and has a history of being serviced regularly.

I'm probably in the minority here but I couldn't care less if a watch has had a light polish as long it's been looked after and has a history of being serviced regularly.

I agree keeping the movement serviced and strong is important, but a movement can be restored/tuned up in most instances as long as the watch wasn't abused. The movement is quite protected of course.

A case finish, however, is only original once.

A case finish, however, is only original once.
It looks to me like you have been reading too many posts by collectors who dismiss a polished watch as unworthy.
There are plenty of those here on the forum.

It looks to me like you have been reading too many posts by collectors who dismiss a polished watch as unworthy.
There are plenty of those here on the forum.

That response wasn't meant to suggest a polished watch is unworthy - it was more a response to the suggestion that a watch being polished is a detail that doesn't need to be consider when purchasing a watch. Everyone has their preferences of course.

I am happy to buy a polished *or* unpolished watch - however, both have their price points.

I don't think a polished watches are unworthy - to get back to the point of this thread, it's simply to help understand the true condition of a watch so I offer a fair price 😀. and many here know case finish details better than me.
Edited:

Yeah I vote unpolished too-- but cape cod polishing is always possible and not really detectable.

I feel like the bulk of people in the market for these watches (Speedy Auto and Speedy reduced) aren't that picky about polished or unpolished. I haven't seen a massive price difference. Dealers usually prefer to polish these types of watches as they sell easier.

For me case polishing is important regardless of the price or collectibility. Factory finish is always nice.

I am happy to buy a polished *or* unpolished watch - however, both have their price points.

Seriously though...if you can't tell yourself, you are going to potentially pay more based on what people on a forum tell you?

My advice is to judge the condition of the watch and what you are willing to pay for it based on how it looks, and make an offer.[/QUOTE]

The case and the strap looks good to me and is for sure not polished to a degree which would lower it's retail value. 😉

Seriously though...if you can't tell yourself, you are going to potentially pay more based on what people on a forum tell you?

My advice is to judge the condition of the watch and what you are willing to pay for it based on how it looks, and make an offer.
[/QUOTE]

If I can't tell the condition of the watch for myself then I would like to *learn* based on what people on a forum tell me. No one was born an expert here. We all have to start somewhere right? What I choose to pay is actually irrelevant to this discussion. But I agree the advice at the end of your post is sound.
Edited:

If I can't tell the condition of the watch for myself then I would like to *learn* based on what people on a forum tell me. No one was born an expert here. We all have to start somewhere right? What I choose to pay is actually irrelevant to this discussion. But I agree the advice at the end of your post is sound.

If you follow that advice, then it doesn't matter if you or anyone else here thinks it's polished. It takes having to determine something that is often impossible to determine, completely off the table...deciding if the claim of it being "unpolished" becomes irrelevant if you just pay based on the current condition.

If you follow that advice, then it doesn't matter if you or anyone else here thinks it's polished. It takes having to determine something that is often impossible to determine, completely off the table...deciding if the claim of it being "unpolished" becomes irrelevant if you just pay based on the current condition.

Agreed. I still would still like to steer this conversation in the direction of anyones opinion about the case (if they care to give it) and the criteria people use to decide if a case is polished (or not) based on the photos.

I don't know if that is like asking a magician to reveal to reveal how they did their trick lol.