Is this Omega watch authentic?

If it’s too small then it’s not a bargain as you won’t wear it. I would find a way to try on 33 mm watch first most will find it very small.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will definitely try it on before making the purchase. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will definitely try it on before making the purchase. Thanks!
There's plenty of auctions on the web (catawiki, ebay, auction houses) that sell those. Look there before making a purchase, especially if you don't know what movement is in that case.

additionally, measure your wrist and think what size you feel comfortable with. I have a 17mm writs and 34.5-39mm is my comfort zone

I found another vintage Omega watch which I like. Could someone give me an estimation of its value? The seller is asking 1800 for this 18k gold Omega cal 552 watch. What would be a fair price to buy this one? I appreciate any help you can provide.

additionally, measure your wrist and think what size you feel comfortable with. I have a 17mm writs and 34.5-39mm is my comfort zone

Thank you! I found a new watch - can you give me an estimation of its value?

On the smaller size of acceptable, $750.00 - $800.00 USD.

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge! That's an interesting perspective on finding the right estimation. Do you happen to know the value of the gold in this 33 mm watch?
You can currently get about $32 USD per gm of 14k scrap gold from a buyer. That is obviously just the weight of the case, not including the movement/dial.

I suggest that you research the market, follow auctions to completion, and learn the value of watches yourself. That's what we all do.

You can currently get about $32 USD per gm of 14k scrap gold from a buyer. That is obviously just the weight of the case, not including the movement/dial.

I suggest that you research the market, follow auctions to completion, and learn the value of watches yourself. That's what we all do.

Thanks for sharing!

If you know the diameter and the movement caliber you can start to do some research on pricing. You don’t need to find an exact match for comparison.
A ‘no name’ 18ct Omega from the 60’s will be worth about the same as a Geneve, Seamasters slightly more, Constellations slightly more still.

If you know the diameter and the movement caliber you can start to do some research on pricing. You don’t need to find an exact match for comparison.
A ‘no name’ 18ct Omega from the 60’s will be worth about the same as a Geneve, Seamasters slightly more, Constellations slightly more still.

Thank you very much for your response! I have the following information but still find it challenging to compare it to other watches and determine whether it's a fair price or not. Could you assist me with a rough estimation?

This is the watch description: OMEGA 14771 Bracelet watch in 18k gold, round case with clipped back, grey, brushed dial with applied hour-markers. Automatic movement, caliber 552. Dial, case and movement signed. Leather strap, buckle signed. Diameter: 34 mm. Gross weight: 39.3 g.

Have you searched for other vintage 18ct Omega watches in 34mm on eBay etc? A very quick eBay search on sold listings give some comparables.

A quick calculation shows at 40g there’s around £1400 in gold, but I assume this weight includes the movement and dial which you’ll have estimate and deduct to get the scrap value of the gold.
Edited:

Have you searched for other vintage 18ct Omega watches in 34mm on eBay etc? A very quick eBay search on sold listings give some comparables.

A quick calculation shows at 40g there’s around £1400 in gold, but I assume this weight includes the movement and dial which you’ll have to eat a image and deduct to get the scrap value of the gold.

Thanks, that's a good one! Will have a look at Ebay. Thanks!

I got mine from eBay for 1400 USD last year. It’s an earlier geneve and I guess a newer ones like the 1st watch you posted is worth a bit less. Mine’s 18 ct. I may have overpaid a bit going by the feed back I received when I were in your shoes asking about this watch here.C6477884-BDED-472A-A6BD-F9D643589227.jpeg E9AA821B-5F9C-4EE5-AB2B-9D167E22C1F5.jpeg

There is excellent examples of a latter geneve on sale in the sales section from an excellent seller and active member.
And as already said be mind full of the vintage watch sizes. I believe mines a 34 and I found it surprisingly small though it has grown on me( not literally :D).
All the best, the hunt is half the fun. That’s how I found this exceptional forum.

I got mine from eBay for 1400 USD last year. It’s an earlier geneve and I guess a newer ones like the 1st watch you posted is worth a bit less. Mine’s 18 ct. I may have overpaid a bit going by the feed back I received when I were in your shoes asking about this watch here.C6477884-BDED-472A-A6BD-F9D643589227.jpeg E9AA821B-5F9C-4EE5-AB2B-9D167E22C1F5.jpeg

There is excellent examples of a latter geneve on sale in the sales section from an excellent seller and active member.
And as already said be mind full of the vintage watch sizes. I believe mines a 34 and I found it surprisingly small though it has grown on me( not literally :D).
All the best, the hunt is half the fun. That’s how I found this exceptional forum.

Hi drpaul, Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. You've got yourself a really nice watch!

There is no comparison between that watch and the OP watch, IMO.

Like 4

Thanks for your reply! For me, they look quite similar and they're both nice watches. But what would be a fair price of the second watch i shared? Any rough estimation would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply! For me, they look quite similar and they're both nice watches. But what would be a fair price of the second watch i shared? Any rough estimation would be appreciated.
I think you could benefit more time studying vintage Omega watches. No need to rush. You will learn to distinguish between more and less desirable styles, to judge condition, and to assign appropriate value. We can point you in the right direction but we can’t do it for you.

Like 2

Completely agree. That first gen Geneve is lovely and a higher level entirely.

OP - frankly the intrinsic value of the gold in your example probably matches or even exceeds the collector value of the watch so I’d value it a gold price plus perhaps 10-20%

A quick calculation shows at 40g there’s around £1400 in gold, but I assume this weight includes the movement and dial which you’ll have estimate and deduct to get the scrap value of the gold.
Yes. The movement takes out much of the weight. A thick c case has around 30 gms. There’sa post in the forum. Thinner cases like mine optimistically may have around 20 gms. The newer geneve will be thinner still. I had done some research in this regard during my purchase but I forgot whether I found the exact weight. But there are lot of ads in eBay that shows the weight of various gold watches with pics. Do some research you will enjoy it. You may also start liking specific models and then can take an informed decision depending on you budget.