Is this Omega Seamaster 166.002 legit?

Hi all,

I'm a first time poster. I've been on the hunt for my first Omega piece and have absolutely loved the vintage seamasters. I found this listing on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2959008557...uid=Fe50vSMHSey&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The case back shows a 166.002, but the movement on this listing is a 552. When I go to the omega site, it states that 166.002 is either a 562 or 565 movement. Is this legit or clearly not all-original?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Welcome.

Good work on noticing that. You’re right, the watch a no date and so should have a 165.002 back.

That’s it’s been swapped isn’t a surprise as the case is very polished and the dial has been horribly repainted. In short, this watch is a dog that’s been prepped for sale and will likely snag an unsuspecting buyer.

Oh, in future please post some pictures, not just links. Links eventually disappear and are no good for aiding research in the future.

Like 2
Welcome.

Good work on noticing that. You’re right, the watch a no date and so should have a 165.002 back.

That’s it’s been swapped isn’t a surprise as the case is very polished and the dial has been horribly repainted. In short, this watch is a dog that’s been prepped for sale and will likely snag an unsuspecting buyer.

Oh, in future please post some pictures, not just links. Links eventually disappear and are no good for aiding research in the future.
Hi Davidt,

Thank you so much. And thank you for the heads up about posting photos instead of just links. I really appreciate your help.

Best,
C Master

The dial is horrible - in my opinion this is the most important given it’s the thing what you always see when you check the time. This one looks like it was painted with a thick black pen. The writing should be much thinner, much more precise and the indices as well (without overlap on Swiss made or anything). Once you can spot these, you swipe straight to the next ;)