Forums Latest Members

Another IWC Cal 89 (with MUCH gratitude!)

1. Annapolis May 20, 2024

Hi again,

After posting the earlier thread (thank you!) I was contacted by a fellow OFer with a different-lug-style cal 89 that appears to be in very good shape and original to my eyes, but I'd love to have input from the hivemind here. He sent an abundance of pictures--I'm only posting a fraction--and I'm wondering if anyone has feedback or opinions about originality and condition.

The one meaningful photo category missing here is an inside-caseback shot: he explained that he cannot open the watch himself to obtain that. (Presumably, the movement shot was taken at last service.)

To my eyes, the dial text appears to align with the "1954 till at least 1960 all signed 'Swiss'" text that @NT931 posted in the earlier thread.

The watch about $500 less than the other one--2600 USD.

And in the interest of etiquette, I should explain: he knows I'm posting this. And this is not a surrogate sales post: I will not share his username here or in PM. (If he wants to reply, of course, that's up to him.)

Dial2.jpg Dial.jpg Side4.jpg Side3.jpg Side2.jpg Side1.jpg Movement.jpeg Caseback.jpg Timegrapher.jpg
    Maybe, ErichPryde and noelekal like this.
  2. Ron_W May 20, 2024

The cal 89 can do much better than the Timegrapher shows ;) so why was this not better regulated during last service ?
    But it is a good looking watch with still sharp lines judging by these pictures, and the logo looks correct to me.

Is the buckle also original and 18K ?
    For pricing you can check C24 and Ebay past sales. Gold price is up by 500 usd since last year so maybe that has filtered into the market ? The 37mm is the more attractive version maybe, so higher in pricing ? if the more common models are towards the lower 2000,- range ?. Just my 2 cents, what is fair is up to you and the seller ofcourse.
    Make sure you compare as many examples as you can !

Annapolis likes this.
  3. Dan S May 20, 2024

The color of IWC pink gold is my absolute favorite. Ideally you would check that the movement and case serial numbers are reasonably consistent with each other, but I guess that won't be possible in this case.

noelekal and Annapolis like this.
  4. Annapolis May 20, 2024

Thanks. I’m really torn between which lug style I prefer—it’s sort of a coin toss, really, and I may let condition and price be more decisive factors.

I’ve done quite a bit of comparing and both dials seem correct and original to my eyes. Definitely appreciate the forum’s help here.

Will ask about the buckle. None of his pics really featured that, and I have no expectations on that front, though it would be a nice little bonus!

Totally agree with Dan re: the tone here. It’s what’s pushed IWC out ahead of Omega, Longines, Movado, etc, at least at this stage in my deliberations. Presumably generous copper content—at least that’s what I’m guessing.

ErichPryde likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 20, 2024

FWIW, I think that the lug style of the example in your original post is more attractive, and likely to preferred by a majority of collectors.

Also, I'm guessing that this one was not cased in Switzerland, which would arguably be a market negative. Do you have a photo of the inside of the case back?

Annapolis likes this.
  6. Annapolis May 20, 2024

Seller doesn’t have inside-caseback pic, and has explained that he doesn’t have a means of opening to check.

Interesting re: the non-Swiss casing.

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 20, 2024

Wait – the seller provided a movement photo, but no inside case back?

A Swiss case would not typically have a hallmark on the outside of the case back.

Annapolis likes this.
  8. Annapolis May 20, 2024

Right—presumably the movement photo came via a service.

You’re giving me something to think about here, which I appreciate.

9. spacemission May 20, 2024

The crystal is not original.

NT931 and Annapolis like this.
  10. Dan S May 20, 2024

If we're talking about personal preference, I agree with @Tony C about liking the bombe or shark-fin lugs over the lugs in the OP watch.

Annapolis likes this.
  11. Annapolis May 21, 2024

There is also this one, which has the (significant for me) advantage of being in the US. The dial isn’t quite as clean as the others—some light spots here and there—but everything looks original, I think. The seller would need to come down in price quite a bit.

IMG_3702.png IMG_3703.png IMG_3704.png IMG_3701.png
  12. Dan S May 21, 2024

I really like the shark-fin lugs, but they need to be SUPER sharp and thick, or it's a pass. I'd need to see better photos. I think that the condition of the dial is going to be a personal choice. I can often tolerate some even light surface spotting, but when there are big spots or water staining on the crown side, it sometimes draws my eye and bothers me.

Annapolis likes this.
  13. Annapolis May 21, 2024

A few photos showing (some of) the lugs. Ok, do you think?

Given the condition of this one, the price is surely 1000 USD too high, and it’s an estate consignment piece, I think, so I’m not sure how negotiable it will be.

IMG_3705.png IMG_3706.png IMG_3707.png IMG_3708.png
  14. Dan S May 21, 2024

I would judge those lugs as pretty good. The edges are rounded, but the overall shape is still intact. As I noted above, the light water staining around the "3" does draw my eye. It could be a decent entry point into IWC, but the price would need to be right. If you are shopping for a one-and-done drop-dead gorgeous dress watch for special occasions, this might not be the one.

Annapolis likes this.
  15. Annapolis May 21, 2024

Appreciate the input! I agree that the water-staining is a substantial negative and I might keep hunting. I’d only consider this one if the price dropped very dramatically.

16. Dan S May 21, 2024

Maybe I missed it, but I don't know if you posted the price.

17. Annapolis May 21, 2024

It was in the listing I linked: rather absurdly, $3995 USD.

Dan S likes this.
  18. Dan S May 21, 2024

You never know, but usually when prices are so far out of line, it's a waste of time to engage with the seller.

Tony C. and Annapolis like this.
  19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 21, 2024

If you can afford it, I'd recommend spending more on a very good or better example. You'd be happier with it in person, and it would always be easier to re-sell.

I'd want to see photos of the inside, and I don't know if there is room to negotiate, but this one looks very nice:

https://www.oldwatchjason.com/product-page/iwc-shark-fin-cal-89

Annapolis likes this.
  20. Annapolis May 21, 2024

Oh wow---that is very clean-looking. I'll inquire about a movement/caseback pic.

Tony C. likes this.