Is this fake please?

Hi there. I purchased this recently as I loved the exposed workings in it. Being completely new to watches, I did a bit of Google search to see if I'd found a little gem. I found two identical watches on etsy, adverIMG20240807153428.jpg IMG20240806205505.jpg IMG20240806205318.jpg IMG20240806205025.jpg IMG20240805192919.jpg IMG20240807153428.jpg tised as genuine vintage fob watches and got excited to see this was supposedly a genuine vintage piece. On further investigation here, it appears this is fake. I bought this in commemoration of my beloved Dad who passed away some time ago. I have been searching for something "special" to remember him by so the price is kind of irrelevant but I'm sad to think that it is fake as I wanted something unique to remember my Dad by. I would just like confirmation that it is indeed fake. My intention was to get it fixed and attach a chain and clasp that i could get my Dad's name engraved on. I only paid $40 for it but it rips my knickers that the seller sold it to me as a genuine vintage piece that was owned by his grandfather, as I told him my intentions of buying it in memory of Dad and I was so excited to have found that something special i have been searching for, for so long. Apologies for the crappy video and photos, it was difficult to photograph it on my phone with nobody to hold it for me. I wound it up and it goes but only for a few seconds before stopping. Anyway, I would appreciate confirmation that it is indeed a cheap Chinese knock of and not that special piece that I wanted. Many thanks for your thoughts. Beau.
Ps: apologies for the long rant, I could have justed asked "is this fake?" but as you might have guessed I'm rather peeved that my hunt for that special piece for my Dad wasn't special at all.
Edited:

Try using the add photos feature to get photos to attach properly.

1000016214.jpg

Then, use "insert photo" to put them where you like in your post.

1000016215.jpg

Like 1
You paid $40. It was never going to be real for that money. Red flag right there.

Like 2
Afraid it's a well known fake. There are hundreds of these little horrors floating around on Etsy/eBay etc.

A very important rule when buying watches, even for the experienced people.

1 - Ask for advice first.
2 - Buy the watch if consensus aligns with your expectations.

Like 1
You paid $40. It was never going to be real for that money. Red flag right there.
Yup, I did only pay $40 but seller was selling all his grandfather's belongings for virtually nothing. He just wanted to get rid of it all and had no knowledge about it at all, except that it was a very old piece that was given to his grandfather. So it was only my googling of other pieces that lead me to believe that it was vintage. What irks me is that if it is a relatively new piece then he obviously lied about it's history. Thanks for your reply though.

Afraid it's a well known fake. There are hundreds of these little horrors floating around on Etsy/eBay etc.

A very important rule when buying watches, even for the experienced people.

1 - Ask for advice first.
2 - Buy the watch if consensus aligns with your expectations.
Yes, sound advise, thank you. I just let myself get excited about it after finding other identical ( and expensive ) ones that were supposedly vintage, on Etsy. Fool is me.

Yup, I did only pay $40 but seller was selling all his grandfather's belongings for virtually nothing. He just wanted to get rid of it all and had no knowledge about it at all, except that it was a very old piece that was given to his grandfather. So it was only my googling of other pieces that lead me to believe that it was vintage. What irks me is that if it is a relatively new piece then he obviously lied about it's history. Thanks for your reply though.

I wonder how many of them were fake... but it really is no shock that someone would lie on the internet. :cool:

Anyway, lots of good eyes here, if you plan to find something genuine that is in honor of your grandfather.

seller was selling all his grandfather's belongings for virtually nothing. He just wanted to get rid of it all and had no knowledge about it at all
Just fyi, this is the typical provenance given to fake watches.

Like 4

Grandfathers and uncles, they hoard fake watches

Like 8
Yup!
And if a seller ever says "It probably just needs a new battery to make it work" what they actually mean is either "I tried a battery and it doesn't work" or "It's a mechanical watch, it doesn't work. I'm hoping you'll think I'm stupid enough to think that it needs a battery and that I haven't tried winding it up."

Like 2
From the mythical Swit Zerland just below New Zealand IIRC

Like 2
I wonder how many of them were fake... but it really is no shock that someone would lie on the internet. :cool:

Anyway, lots of good eyes here, if you plan to find something genuine that is in honor of your grandfather.
Thank you.

What's even more disgusting about the guy, is that when I googled the other ( fake ) ones on Etsy I (foolishly) messaged him to tell him that I had found identical ones on Etsy that where vintage and worth substantially more money. Yes, I'm an idiot for telling him but he had asked me to let him know if I found any history about the one that he sold me. He seemed genuinely sincere. But anyway, when I told him about the ones for sale in Etsy he got rude, saying it could be worth thousands. He gave me the distinct impression he wanted it back! Lol!! After I messaged him to tell him it was a fake and was not vintage at all , as he had told me it was , he stopped messaging me. I wonder why? :( But I've learnt my lesson now. Thanks for your help.
Edited:

What's even more disgusting about the guy, is that when I googled the other ( fake ) ones on Etsy I (foolishly) messaged him to tell him that I had found identical ones on Etsy that where vintage and worth substantially more money. Yes, I'm an idiot for telling him but he had asked me to let him know if I found any history about the one that he sold me. He seemed genuinely sincere. But anyway, when I told him about the ones for sale in Etsy he got rude, saying it could be worth thousands. He gave me the distinct impression he wanted it back! Lol!! After I messaged him to tell him it was a fake and was not vintage at all , as he had told me it was , he stopped messaging me. I wonder why? :( But I've learnt my lesson now. Thanks for your help.

Pretty traditional DARVO and gaslighting, and the norm from many scammers.

saying it could be worth thousands.
Yes it could be........if you could find someone who would pay that much, that however may be rather difficult.
Sticking a Rolex logo on it may improve the chances....Rolex buyers will pay stupid $$$ for any old rubbish ::stirthepot:::D

Like 1

Why on Earth did you , after you bought it , tell the seller that he missed out on probably 1000's of Dollars and kept getting back to him ? In fact telling him , that you are the clever one and he was the Idiot ? Just stop that in the future, if you want keep on buying whatever on the Net . Unless you want to send him a few $ 100's , because you feel bad for short-changing the Seller ... That does not make sense .