Forums Latest Members

Is this an all original Speedmaster 142.021? is it worth it?

1. Fcalero Apr 3, 2016

Hi! Just found this in a vintage shop in Ecuador, they are asking for a like 5000 USD but I know these usually are more expensive than the more current model, we don't get many of these here! I think I can work with the price but is it worth it? Thanks

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. sky21 Apr 3, 2016

Not sure where to start here, it's called a 145.012 and the bezel is a replacement. I think the chrono sweep second hand can be either the spear type or the flat bottom type as depicted in the photo. Bracelet and end links look correct and the caseback looks in very nice shape. I think the top pusher looks incorrect, but tough to tell. In this market, that price is fairly accurate.

3. Fcalero Apr 3, 2016

Thank you! Well I will try to work with the price as much as I can than :)

4. Faz Apr 3, 2016

Lume looks suspect. Case is the best feature. I would save and get a better example.

Cheers,

5. Fcalero Apr 3, 2016

Thank you very much for your replies. I am a newbie to vintage pieces and there is a lot of variation in price. I see all of these on Chrono24 for almost 10K, what do those have that this one doesn't? If I send it to a watchmaker and change parts to original could this be a good investment?

6. sky21 Apr 3, 2016

A good investment, well that will depend on the resale market moving forward. I probably wouldn't buy it unless you actually like it and intend to wear it. Service will be very expensive, and getting the correct bezel will set you back another $1000+ easily, if you can find one. The ones on Chrono24 probably have the correct DO90 bezel and all other parts or they are being sold by dealers who have added their 20% markup to the price.

7. avwatches Apr 4, 2016

8. Fcalero Apr 4, 2016

Boy do I have to thank you guys. This is the listing I was originally looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speed...Xi8eD4zPP555VqAO2W6uY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I contacted the guy internally, he is actually from Ecuador (Close to Peru), as I said I am from there, he gave me his cell phone and we talked, he seemed nice, and he was even straight forward about the bezel not being original (probably he monitors this forum and he saw this post when you pointed that out), I was able to get down the price to 1800 (too good to be true I know). He removed the listing after I made the payment. I knew it was risky but I felt assured by Paypal's policy. After the last post by Avwatches (THANK YOU!!!) I realized that this seller's good feedback was only as a buyer, and only during the previous 2 days from small purchases just to build up his account. I called him today and he hangs up on me, and now he put another listing for another vintage speedmaster. I sent a dispute to paypal, and almost immediately I got a message from them saying that my dispute was approved and that they will be issuing a refund, so I guess I'm safe. I also called ebay today and reported him, although I see his new listing is still in place and people are bidding. Hopefully they will remove it soon. Anyways thank you for your input. I learned my lesson just authorized dealers from now on. Thank you all for your help