Forums Latest Members
  1. bjjohn12 Oct 6, 2017

I'm looking at this omega seamaster 166.0209. The dial looks gorgeous but I have my concerns it may be a radial. Any help would be great![​IMG]

2. IDXM Oct 6, 2017

Not expert enough to comment, but the lume dot appears to be missing at 4 o’clock. Good luck and keep an eye on the sales forum.

3. WYO_Watch Oct 6, 2017

Looks good to me. There is some rust on the edges of the dial that make me want to see a movement shot.

4. bjjohn12 Oct 6, 2017

Here is a movement shot that I was sent! [​IMG]

5. bjjohn12 Oct 10, 2017

Any more opinions on this watch would be greatly appreciated!!

6. albertob Oct 10, 2017

Redial

georgeszaslavsky likes this.
  7. georgeszaslavsky Oct 10, 2017

I was thinking that as well

8. bjjohn12 Oct 10, 2017

Are there any large indicators? Is it a color that wasn't used on this model or is the text wrong?

9. TNTwatch Oct 11, 2017

No, there's nothing to indicate a redial at all.

JimJupiter likes this.
  10. TropicConnie Oct 11, 2017

Looks fine to me. If it's a redial, it's the best I've ever seen, period. The writing is crisp and even, and a brushed texture like that would be difficult to do outside the Omega factory.

For reference, here's a redial, a pretty good one, but not perfect. Other than the obvious (incorrect) 'De Ville' bumping the word 'Automatic' to be under the logo, red flags a
    - Serifs in the word 'OMEGA', which should be sans-serif for this period
    - Tail of the r at the end of the word 'Seanaster' is too round. The m also looks suspiciously like an italic n.
    - Wide spaced '-Swiss Made-'
    - Flat white dial. Not necessarily an indication of a redial in its own right, but flat opaque dials are much easier for a painter to do than making, for example, a brushed gray dial.

Yours shares none of these traits, and therefore should be all original.
    [​IMG]

Edited Jun 17, 2018
    Lriper80 likes this.
  11. ChrisN Oct 11, 2017

These watches are not so well known but, the one below is not a redial - it's a cal 1020. The "Automatic" is under the "Omega" writing so, I wouldn't use that as a check.

Agree that the one you're showing is an obvious redial and that the OPs watch is not. Note that the OPs watch shows a straight sided M in "Automatic" which appears to be another variation but, I'd still consider it an original dial.

Regards, Chris

deville.JPG

12. bjjohn12 Oct 11, 2017

What had me concerned with mine was the lack of the dash on "swiss made". Mine just says "swiss made", not "-Swiss Made-"

13. ChrisN Oct 11, 2017

I don't think many people here collect watches from this era. I don't so need to see the dial under a microscope to be sure. I'm not sure there are any definitive rules but @TNTwatch is pretty experienced and there is nothing jumping out at me. I would say that this one shows an extract from the Omega website and I don't see the hyphens there either, even though the watch being sold has them.

Cheers, Chris

TNTwatch likes this.
  14. TropicConnie Oct 11, 2017

That's a 165.0020 in your photo, the OP's watch is a 166.0209. All I'm saying is that the OP's watch has the word Automatic in the correct place for its reference. The redial in my example has it where it would appear in a 165.0020 such as the one you have.

ChrisN likes this.
  15. bjjohn12 Oct 11, 2017

Thanks everyone for all the help!
    As for the movement picture I posted, does the movement appear to be in good condition? Nothing seemed to stick out to me but I will definitely be wanting to get this serviced!
    I also traded for this watch so the total invested is around $350. Is that price appropriate to the watch? I couldn't find a crazy amount of information for pricing online.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 11, 2017

Movement looks quite good to me - nothing jumps out.

17. bjjohn12 Oct 12, 2017

Any comments about value?