Forums Latest Members

Is this a redial? (not a deliberate test for anyone)

1. sonicosa Dec 11, 2019

I considered piggybacking the thread I'm referencing in the title when I tried searching for recent redial threads, but it seemed like it was headed downhill.

The blue on this dial seems too good to be true, so maybe that answers my question, but I'd love some expert perspective.

I feel like I've seen dials that seem original to me that had the effect I think I see on this dial - where the tritium plots (is plots the right word) affect the paint around them. Is that a thing that happens, or am I making that up?

Appreciate the board's insights as I continue trying to learn about vintage watches.

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 5.34.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 5.35.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 5.35.18 PM.png

2. OMEGuy Dec 11, 2019

I'm not considering myself as an expert. There are far more expert guys than me here on this forum and I like it every time when I find that they answered in a wise way.

But I think this is not a redial, though the tritium lume looks a bit strange, which is most likely due to time.

Mark020, sonicosa and Lotus_Eater8815 like this.
  3. Toishome Dec 11, 2019

I don't think is a redial. I often see the discoloration around the lume plots in the blue dials Omega made.

sonicosa and OMEGuy like this.
  4. Dan S Dec 11, 2019

The lume plots definitely appear to catalyze the degradation of colored dials in watches from this era. Blue dials especially. If you search the forum, you will find other threads discussing this.

OMEGuy and sonicosa like this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2019

Looks fine and is in quite good condition considering it a blue one.

sonicosa and OMEGuy like this.
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 11, 2019

My opinion is original dial with blobby attempt at relume.

Omega leaves little dots or biscuits.

Tom

sonicosa and Henneth like this.
  7. lindo Dec 11, 2019

It is a nice blue dial. If if were a Constellation dial I would be green with envy.

sonicosa likes this.
  8. sonicosa Dec 12, 2019

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wound up making the seller an offer which was accepted. I'll post an update on what I'm trying to do with it at some point.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do some digging.

Appreciate the insight. I'll take a closer look once I receive the item, and will also file "Blobby Relume" in my list of terrible band name options.

9. Waltesefalcon Dec 12, 2019

Looks legit, I'd tend to agree with the "blobby attempt at relume" over lume degradation due to the, well, blobs. I'd expect degradation to have, if anything other than discoloration, flaking.