Forums Latest Members
  1. phxomega Feb 12, 2014

Hi everyone I Am new to the forum.

http://bit.ly/1goQvCr

I have been on a hunt for a beautiful vintage omega for the past 6 months and still can't find a good deal on one. It has been frustrating. What you guys think?

2. nyc863 Feb 12, 2014

3. Hijak Feb 12, 2014

Hey Phxomega, the watch your looking at has a replacement minute hand and crown. This along with the lack of a movement picture, the poor overall condition and the high starting price and buy it now...I'd stay away, you can do much better! It wouldn't be hard to source the correct parts but the expense and effort aren't worth it. These come up in much better condition far too often. Good luck with your search!

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 12, 2014

Caliber 670 is a tiny thingy and not as good as the 5XX. I won't buy it even when it's cheap. (wrong minute hand as stated by Hijak)

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 12, 2014

Minute hand is actually correct, however the hour hand is missing its lume making it appear different.

The crown is also correct for this mid-size model.

Nothing wrong with these mid-size Seamasters, especially if you have a smaller wrist.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 12, 2014

Minute hand is too short and doesn't reach the minute markers as it should.

[​IMG]

Must be like this to be correct

[​IMG]

Comes with a tiny movement and 33mm case, that's why it doesn't sell.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 12, 2014

Sorry, you're comparing apples to oranges.

The "short" minute hand is correct for this reference, 165.004. I've had over a dozen of these pass through my hands over the years and they all have had this length minute hand.

Hoi's rule of hand length does have exceptions.

8. Togri Feb 12, 2014

I personally think this is a nice vintage De Ville, cal. 611, similar to the one you are looking for:
    http://www.itstime.dk/ure-til-salg/ad/salg,2/omega-seamaster-de-ville-cal-611-1964-34-4mm,1067

It's from a Danish website (also on sale on two other Danish websites). The price, 4500 kr. is approxmately $800. A bit high but the condition seems good. I bought a vintage seamaster 30 from the same seller yesterday and I had a very good experience. The link above also has pictures of the movement.

image.jpg

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 12, 2014

I see, it's the defect right from the factory, that's why it's so hard to sell these small Seamaster De Ville ;) .

CanberraOmega likes this.
  10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 12, 2014

Those manual winding Seamaster De Ville are much nicer (with correct hand lengh) Size is larger, too.

[​IMG]

Togri likes this.
  11. Togri Feb 12, 2014

Yes, that certainly is a nice piece (how much? :whistling: :whistling:)

12. phxomega Feb 13, 2014

Thanks everyone. A lot of knowledgable people here. I feel like a total newbie. I have been resisting an impulse buy. I almost pulled a trigger on a cosmic with a black dial which I believe was a redial with an unique numbers which I have never seen before. im not limited to a deville but any nice vintage that comes along. Thanks everybody

13. Togri Feb 13, 2014

Don't rush in to a buy. Always plenty of vintage omegas for sale. You risk regretting it badly. I'm a newbie myself but people here are always very helpful if you post a picture and a price and ask if it's a reasonable deal.