Forums Latest Members

Is this 2577 Seamaster dial in the FS section a later service replacement?

1. BenBagbag Feb 4, 2020

Hi all,

This is in regards to a watch posted in the FS section here. It's a 2577 with a 12.3mil serial dating it to early 1950's I have this feeling that the dial is a later replacement. I've never seen a sunburst dial like this. What does the community think?

Also - this would typically be something I comment directly on the sales post but that is "frowned upon." I haven't had success PM'ing sellers for more info so I prefer to just post in public and let experts chime in directly. Thanks!

sea2577.jpg sea 3.jpg sea1.jpg sea 2.jpg

DaveK likes this.
  2. OMEGuy Feb 4, 2020

It is a service dial OMEGA used in the 60s and 70s.

Bill Sohne likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 4, 2020

Edited Feb 4, 2020
    DaveK likes this.
  4. OMEGuy Feb 4, 2020

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 4, 2020

I agree, for the purposes of this discussion service dial = later factory replacement dial. If the replacement dial was identical and indistinguishable from the original it would be a moot point and not be commented on but in this case and in others where service dials are discussed what is significant it that there is a difference. In the case of the 2577, the dial is completely different to any used in period.

OMEGuy likes this.
  6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 4, 2020

hi

I kind of think of it the same way .... if it was a period correct style dial ..... this is a service replacement with styling of the 60s not the 50s in my opinion . Nothing wrong with it ... Just depends on the style you prefer.

Good hunting

bill

bardamu, watchyouwant and OMEGuy like this.
  7. seekingseaquest Feb 4, 2020

This is the most action a fat lug Seamaster has gotten on OF in quite a while!

8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 4, 2020

Hi

the 2577 is one of my favorite all time watches !!!

The beefy lugs and thick bezel !!

how can’t you not love it !

good hunting

bill

heavenscloud and seekingseaquest like this.
  9. BenBagbag Feb 4, 2020

Okay so now there is consensus that the watch has a later dial. I've pm'd the seller as well.

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 4, 2020

Why? He said nothing about the dial, so why are you (assumably) complaining? Leave him alone, he committed no crime.

If you don't want the watch, don't buy it!

Tom

11. jumpingsecond Feb 4, 2020

Maybe the Seller doesnt know. Good to inform him and let him decide what to do. Maybe he would like to mention it in his FS post. Maybe not. Why do you care?

12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 4, 2020

Because it seems like the poster was going to complain about (nonexistent) fraud and get the seller in trouble for doing nothing wrong. This is a VERY good example of an entry-level Omega that doesn't cost a bunch and the dial IS genuine Omega even if it IS a service dial.

Tom

ICONO and watchyouwant like this.
  13. BenBagbag Feb 4, 2020

Okay... This forum is all about discussion and disclosure. No plan to get him in trouble. But I think we should lean on the side of caution in our sales listings to post directly in the listing if there is something obviously wrong with the watch. But that's me.

Just please don't shoot me, Tom.

OHS, heavenscloud and mayankyadav like this.
  14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 4, 2020

Of course not!

I don't agree that a service dial is "obviously wrong". A redial from a redialer that looks completely wrong (I had one once that said "PRECISION" and John Diethelm called me out on it!), I can see that.

I'm glad that someone asked the question and we can explain it.

But I am afraid that ragging on an honest seller might scare him off, and this price point is not bad for entry-level. Of course on the other hand, I couldn't sell a perfectly good Geneve for $495 so what do I know? :D

Tom

15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 4, 2020

No, there is nothing obviously wrong with this watch. The Dial is original from the Factory. Not from a redialler. And many sellers would not know the difference. It's not a 15 K chronograph. $500 sale price and omega would charge $150 for that service dial anyway..... Kind regards. Achim

ICONO likes this.
  16. Dan S Feb 4, 2020

The way I read it was that the OP was going to inform the seller, and maybe let him know about the threads. I think the seller might want to know. Then he can decide what to do, especially since the watch has been so extensively discussed, he’s already in a bit of a tough spot. If I were the seller and I hadn’t noticed these threads, I’d rather know sooner rather than later.

17. trash_gordon Feb 5, 2020

Good morning guys

Wow…a lot is going on while i was sleeping.
    Honestly i wasn't aware that this dial is a replacement.
    I will state it in my description. Thanks for the hint :thumbsup:

18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 5, 2020

I love these watches - it was my entry into vintage omegas
    (Crap photo, sorry!)
    C45524D8-BA79-4321-BE8B-EDEA37677FBF.jpeg

19. mb70 Feb 22, 2020

I was interested in the service dial discussions here as I have a 2577-10 with a 352 RG chronometer movement. I got it as a mixed lot of 5 watches without knowing a lot about it. Doing a bit if research, I quickly realised that the dial wasn't original to the watch. I've been looking for examples of similar dials and was struck by the similarities between my dial and the service dials in terms of the sunburst finish, the markers and the lettering style. So my thinking now, based on these examples, is that the dial was replaced during a service sometime in the 60s or 70s. Don't know if anyone with more experience would agree? Sorry for the quality of the photos.

IMG_20200220_084352633~2.jpg IMG_20200220_085906158~2.jpg
  20. seekingseaquest Feb 22, 2020

Redial, not service dial IMO. I wouldn’t think Omega would have a service dial with text that never came on an original - ie just “chronometer” text and spelled “er” rather than “re”.