Forums Latest Members

Is there a danger zone on date setting with the Seamaster 300m

1. scott784 Mar 13, 2021

One of my watches is a Seamaster 300m (caliber 8800 movement); and I've got a question I was hoping someone could answer. Does the danger zone (i.e. 8pm to 4am or perhaps 9pm to 3am) apply when attempting to make date change adjustments to these watches?

I ask that question because one employee at an Omega authorized dealer said it was a non-issue because of its in-house movement whereas some else suggested it was something to be very careful with. In general, I have tried to stay very mindful about this issue with mechanical watches.

But over time, I suppose accidents can happen so I think this is an important topic. The last thing anyone wants is to incur expensive servicing as a result of making date changes while the watch is in this zone, if in fact it is a problem. I would be interested in thoughts from others on this subject as it relates to this watch.

2. DoctorEvil Mar 14, 2021

What does your Omega owner's manual (the red book) say about that movement?
    I know that for my Seamaster Pro with Cal 1120, the manual says the danger zone is 8.00pm to 2.00am. Most mechanical watches have this danger zone because of the cogs engaging with the date display during this time so using the date quick change function is not advisable because you can shear off the little teeth on those cogs.

lindo likes this.