Forums Latest Members

Is the speedmaster dark side of the moon so durable??

1. faris8183 Jul 1, 2023

Hello,
    I am very interested and fascinated by the speed master Dark side of the moon in pitch black and I tried it in boutique and I couldn't take it out of my head
    But my main concern is it so durable that can resist shocks? it is scratch resistant but if it dropped by mistake is there a possibility that it will crack?
    Is there anyone that had this problem ??
    I read some reviews and some of them are reassuring and some of them are making me a little worried
    I am planning to buy a new 2023 model
    thank you so much for your help
    Best regards

2. josiahg52 Jul 1, 2023

Yes, if you drop it, it might completely break requiring a new case perhaps. I've seen two threads regarding a broken case. In at least one, Omega replaced it under warranty but I seem to remember it was perceived as a good will move by Omega. Your mileage may vary. Nice watch but not worth it to me.

McKnife likes this.
  3. Evitzee Jul 1, 2023

The potential issue of breaking a ceramic case by wearing it is way overblown, imo. I've had two, a Blue Side and an Apollo 8, never an issue or had a problem with either. Don't worry about the nervous Nellies who say it is going to shatter or break if bumped or hit, it won't.

faris8183, Omegafanman and Om3ga321 like this.
  4. Canuck Jul 1, 2023

Put it this way. Drop a watch with a steel case, or drop a watch with a ceramic case. Be assured, the steel one will not break! The ceramic one………….? Give me steel! The ceramic ones have been known to chip, as well.

5. Om3ga321 Jul 1, 2023

Ceramic watches don't age.
    I love that.
    Ceramic Diver 300 Black Black,Apollo 8 and DSOTM Vintage Black.
    Look as good as day 1.

faris8183 and Omegafanman like this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 2, 2023

The chances of damaging the case are slim but the consequences are dire. Think of it in terms of a very small chance of a very large bill. I have personally handled a damaged DSOTM and a few other non Omega ceramic watches with case damage (Cartier J12s seem very prone to it) so it does happen, it's not just Internet BS. What I have seen is enough to make this Nelly a little nervous. So much so I wouldn't personally purchase a ceramic cased watch. That said I have just purchased a DV Hour Vision which has a mid case consisting of a single piece of solid sapphire (which like ceramic is hard but brittle, much harder than ceramic in fact) so I am perhaps a little hypocritical in saying that. There though the lugs are steel and it is the lugs that often take the most punishment.

As noted above, steel can always be fixed. Ceramic can always not.

faris8183 likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 2, 2023

Know someone that’s had one since they first came out and it looks like it was bought last week. Not bad for a nearly 10 year old watch.
    He is a one watch guy also, so it’s getting worn daily. (He is a city slicker suit though)

8. Stripey Jul 2, 2023

Insure it. My Apollo 8 is insured under my household policy along with my Explorer for theft, loss and accidental damage. The additional premium is tiny.

Omegafanman likes this.
  9. NGO1 Jul 2, 2023

I actually dropped my DSoTM on a granite counter top. The watch chipped my granite counter top.

A piece of granite flew off, upon impact.

no joke.

In very extreme cases, you’ll find failure in any material.

Edited Jul 2, 2023
    abrod520 and McKnife like this.
  10. absherman13 Jul 2, 2023

Whoa!!

11. Omegafanman Jul 2, 2023

I posted this up once before. I have owned it for 8 years and it still looks like new. Have always loved this watch.

We all know Ceramics are brittle … but also super hard and scratch resistant - which Is why (along with the stunning aesthetic) I was drawn the original DSOTM. I have owned one for (edit 8) years and it is my go to watch for most active situations (from clubbing in Amsterdam and Berlin, to long haul flights (dual time function also handy and less issues with security scanners) to ferry crossings, road trips and commuting by car and train). I am careful but it has had at least one hard whack on a Berlin lamp post and survived. I swapped over from buckle to deployant without any trouble. It also visited its virtual home and saw the evolution of Ceramics and some Zirconium compound at the Omega museum. There are 70K members on the forum and Omega have sold thousands of these (and various variants)…. the forum and interweb are not awash with issues. For sure if you drop or hit it in the wrong way it may damage - but I think you would have been very unlucky. Also there maybe some with production faults as with all watches (I owned two briefly without issue) but these should be dealt with under warranty. Long story short... does it scratch (No) does it look and wear fantastic (IMHO yes) .. will it crack if you drop it on a hard surface from height … maybe but the compound has been developed for years for use as a watch case by Omega... so it is fairly resilient / not a bloody Faberge egg in my experience :0)
    My car windows also shatter if I hit them just the right way with the escape hammer.... but day to day they seem to do fine and they are a lot more brittle than my watch case I suspect. Also a black watch seems to fly under the radar more, wondering around London etc is never an issue / not going to get mugged for it.

47E15BE6-1F3E-4054-993D-098C7CC5693B.jpeg 5D738028-5B2B-4F07-A025-95E81EEBE372.jpeg
    Edited Jul 3, 2023
    McKnife and Evitzee like this.
  12. faris8183 Jul 2, 2023

Thank you all for your answers and experiences this made me a little bit less concerned about the issues of breaking the watch
    My main concern about the ceramic watch is that with the childrens the chance of having an accident is a little high but it could not happen and I will be extremely careful about that of course
    Actually I am in between two watches : the DSOTM pitch black and speedmaster moonphase with black dial .. the two watches are the best for me and I love them both but I am a little bit preferring the DSOTM as it suite for all occasions with a little of sporty feeling.. I tried them both in omega boutique yesterday and they made me crazy the two of them!
    the moonphase was the first watch that I loved from Omega when I was a student in the university and I saw their ads all over the streets but I couldn't afford it at that time.. so it was my dream luxury watch since very long time

Now is the hard decision to choose between them!!

IMG_3893.jpg IMG_3894.jpg
    Omegafanman likes this.
  13. faris8183 Jul 2, 2023

This is the question tht NO ONE can answer!! I asked and insisted to the buyer in Omega Boutique yesterday and he tried to find the answer by asking his supervisor and the final answer was " the case is very strong and could tolerate a lot of shocks but it may break or crack we cannot guarantee that 100%, and If the case lugs was broken we may fix it under guarantee but if the bidy was broken this is not covered and I will pay to replace it"

14. Omegafanman Jul 3, 2023

@Jones in LA
    You go flying with yours…. Any comment on durability?

15. Omegafanman Jul 3, 2023

Why the pitch black ahead of the standard DSOTM out of interest?

16. deepsealight Jul 3, 2023

Nobody does the blackout effect better than Omega, full stop.

17. faris8183 Jul 3, 2023

I liked the pitch black more than the standard DSOTM.. the black indexes with the green minty writing on the dials are the best looking ever for me in the DSOTM collection