Forums Latest Members

Is The Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8 out of the Omega catalog?

1. Pepe Lucas May 27, 2021

Checking Omega USA website today I noticed that they took the Apollo 8 out of the catalog. You can still see the information about the watch. You also can register on their waiting list but when you try to pull the catalog of the Dark Side it is missing. Does this mean that it is already discontinued?

2. Evitzee May 27, 2021

The Apollo 8 has been 'currently unavailable ' on the US site for most of the last year, and with the discontinuation of the 1861 it would seem natural to conclude that Omega has moved on. In the future the Apollo 8 will be sought after because of the small number produced and its unique aspects.

But it's still in the catalog when I just checked, 15 models listed, including the Apollo 8.

Edited May 27, 2021
  3. Pepe Lucas May 27, 2021

Not the Apollo 8
    https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/speedmaster/dark-side-of-the-moon/catalog

4. Pepe Lucas May 27, 2021

You can see all the information about all the Dark side models but when you try to pull the catalog it’s missing the Apollo 8. They still have the Team Alinghi.

5. Evitzee May 27, 2021

6. Pepe Lucas May 27, 2021

Maybe a glitch, but when I was looking at the models earlier on their website there were only 13 variations. Not including the Apollo 8. When I copied the page it had only 13 models. I verified it before posting it in case I missed something. Oh well, it doesn’t really matter. I was just trying to see if someone had heard anything about the final batch of Apollo 8s or when would they be discontinued. The manager at my OB hinted that it might be the last batch of them.

7. Stripey May 27, 2021

I see 13, including the Alinghi, but no Apollo 8.

8. watcholone May 27, 2021

9. raclaims May 27, 2021

It’s still being made just held up in production like some other pieces

10. Pepe Lucas May 27, 2021

Probably but don’t know for how long more since they stopped making the caliber 1861

11. s2000_driver May 27, 2021

From what I've heard, there are none available to US boutiques right now. Likely production delays; it is not discontinued.

12. Evitzee May 27, 2021

What's the information that says it is still being made?

What's the data that says it is not discontinued?

Unless someone is well connected to Omega HQ suppositions as to the status of the Apollo 8, or any watch, are just guesswork. Perhaps it is delayed for some reason (Covid has been a ready excuse for every shortfall of items the last year) or perhaps Omega is slowly phasing it out and is just keeping it in the catalogue until all have been pushed through the pipeline. Omega has a habit of leaving the stuff in the catalogue even after it is well discontinued and out of stock. We will just have to wait and see how this one plays out. These have never been plentiful at dealers or boutiques, I doubt the supply will increase over what it has been over the last couple of years, i.e. spotty at best.

Stripey and Pepe Lucas like this.
  13. Pepe Lucas May 28, 2021

Yes, it’s only guessing at this point. But I don’t think that they are going to be making it after this year. The 1869 it’s based on the 1861 and they stopped making them last year so let’s see how long can they keep the production.

14. Evitzee May 28, 2021

The Apollo 8 was introduced in 2018 for the 50th anniversary, it's hard to see them continuing it much longer. The only non coaxial mechanical Speedmasters made now are the 321, Apollo 8 and Team Alinghi. The 321 is a halo item, but no need for the other two, imo. And they are premium priced, too. But Omega is going to do what they want.

15. Butik Jun 21, 2021

They are becoming very hard to obtain now. I ordered mine in Warsaw (Poland) January this year with projected delivery by end of March. In March they told me it would be April. Then it was moved to May. I will pick it this Wednesday eventually, but now my AD told me about approx 1 year waiting time - limited production on this model is a fact now.

Stripey likes this.
  16. s2000_driver Jun 21, 2021

As far as I know there are folks on waiting lists at OBs. You can still put a deposit with them - meaning Omega has not discontinued this model. Supplies however are non-existent. Few ADs in the US have one or two available but none in the OB network.

17. pumpernikiel Jun 25, 2021

did you order at OB or at AD?

18. Butik Jun 25, 2021

AD.

Here it is in its full glory :)

M Garner, justacpa and pumpernikiel like this.
  19. VjaceCZ Jun 25, 2021

Love this watch. It motivated me to give it a wrist time today. It’s been a while since last time…

@Butik enjoy it!

20. J C Jul 9, 2021

Hi. Questions about the run of this watch...

I understand that this watch has been in Omega's catalogue since 2018, however...
    (1) was this in production the entire time - manufactured every yr
    (2) was it only a 1yr run (2018) with unlimited #s
    (3) something else...

Any insight is much appreciated...